Edinson Cavani

CFC58

The window isn't open yet and you already know that Ba and Torres aren't moving - let me quote you: "Bullshit". We don't know anything till it's 1st of September. And generally speaking our season was dire - dropping out on competitions and had to battle till last games to secure Champions League football.

Exactly .... We know nothing. So neither do you about Cavani or anyone else that could be a striker. As far as we know fuck everything that could happen but that is NOT the topic of this debate. Nice try - ive done too many debates to start engaging in the 'shooting at a moving target' debate.

If you play the 'we can never see the future' argument on a topic like this you are intellectually dishonest. Lets refrain from having a forum 'tout court'.

So bullshit indeed, my friend. :Goober:

RVP had no Premier League experience and Arsenal had Thierry Henry at the club.

Drogba was 3 years younger and half the price. If Cavani was £30 million then I doubt anyone would object but this is just a massive amount of money in my opinion.

Eidur got games in other positions too.

Henry being at the club is irrelevant to this argument, the point is RVP wasn't ready to be #1 at a title challenging club at the age Lukaku is now, im sure if he got a loan in 03-04 to a PL club he would have shined just like Lukaku did but still required a bit of fine tuning.

If the market was still the same from 9 years ago Cavani would be going around £25-30m, but the market value of players has increased, we smashed our transfer record for Didier and it went straight in at 3rd for England at the time (behind Veron and Ferdinand), in 2004 £24m was just as big money as £50m is now, if not more.

Drogba wasn't 3 years younger either, he was 26.

Eidur started playing in midfield in 05/06 but the majority of his appearances in 04/05 were as the lone forward (or as a partner to Drogba for the first 8 games before Jose swithed to 4-4-3).

Exactly .... We know nothing. So neither do you about Cavani or anyone else that could be a striker. As far as we know fuck everything that could happen but that is NOT the topic of this debate. Nice try - ive done too many debates to start engaging in the 'shooting at a moving target' debate.

If you play the 'we can never see the future' argument on a topic like this you are intellectually dishonest. Lets refrain from having a forum 'tout court'.

So bullshit indeed, my friend. :Goober:

That wasn't the topic of this debate but it was a direct answer to your previous post. Look, we both made our opinions known and we both want the best for Chelsea so let's drop it. Saying the same thing three times over with different words won't bring anything to this debate. I respect your opinion, respect mine, can't make you agree but deal with it.

Henry being at the club is irrelevant to this argument, the point is RVP wasn't ready to be #1 at a title challenging club at the age Lukaku is now, im sure if he got a loan in 03-04 to a PL club he would have shined just like Lukaku did.

If the market was still the same from 9 years ago Cavani would be going around £25-30m, but the market value of players has increased, we smashed our transfer record for Didier and it went straight in at 3rd for England at the time (behind Veron and Ferdinand), in 2004 £24m was just as big money as £50m is now, if not more.

Drogba wasn't 3 years younger either, he was 26.

Eidur started playing in midfield in 05/06 but the majority of his appearances in 04/05 were as the lone forward (or as a partner to Drogba for the first 8 games before Jose swithed to 4-4-3).

The fees aren't massively different after 10 years. Drogba wouldn't go for much more in my opinion, in face I'd say he'd cost about Hazard money.

Apologies for getting the age wrong.

The RVP thing is a little tricky because I think Arsenal played with two up top. He also had no PL experience whereas we're talking about a guy with a lot of experience and coming off one of the best seasons a teenager has ever had.

Mentally and physically I think Lukaku is ready but we're looking to sign a striker who CAN'T really be dropped because of the massive financial commitment we're making. I would just like to see this club trusting it's youth and building something for the future, rather than looking for short-term fixes. But clearly the club doesn't think there's an appetite amongst the fanbase for that - they need silverware now, otherwise they'll buy someone else's t-shirt.

That wasn't the topic of this debate but it was a direct answer to your previous post. Look, we both made our opinions known and we both want the best for Chelsea so let's drop it. Saying the same thing three times over with different words won't bring anything to this debate. I respect your opinion, respect mine, can't make you agree but deal with it.

Ok!

The fees aren't massively different after 10 years. Drogba wouldn't go for much more in my opinion, in face I'd say he'd cost about Hazard money.

The RVP thing is a little tricky because I think Arsenal played with two up top. He also had no PL experience whereas we're talking about a guy with a lot of experience and coming off one of the best seasons a teenager has ever had.

Mentally and physically I think Lukaku is ready but we're looking to sign a striker who CAN'T really be dropped because of the massive financial commitment we're making. I would just like to see this club trusting it's youth and building something for the future, rather than looking for short-term fixes. But clearly the club doesn't think there's an appetite amongst the fanbase for that - they need silverware now, otherwise they'll buy someone else's t-shirt.

I would also be worried about that point if we had still had Robbie or Carlo but Jose has form in picking players on merit regardless of price tag (Sheva, Kaka).

With Didier if he was mid 20's and just had a season like his 03/04 one at Marseille, the French club won't let bidding start at anything less than £40m i believe.

Exactly ... What if he and Torres are here and somehow he doesnt deliver Walhalla (+50mil remember). Then you have 100+ mil - huge wages and fucked your youth AND no options on the mid term. It could be - even him would need to adapt. I am so wary about it - because of the effect it has on our other strikers. Just what about Ba? Torres will be fucked no matter what.

Do we want three three strikers (yes Metsjacfc - future telling) dislodged in exchange for the Messias. Is he the one or just a Farisee? You fortune tellers now tell me!

Please dont say Abra has a shitload of cash. That is ....wrong and shortsighted.

I would also be worried about that point if we had still had Robbie or Carlo but Jose has form in picking players on merit regardless of price tag (Sheva, Kaka).

With Didier if he was mid 20's and just had a season like his 03/04 one at Marseille, the French club won't let bidding start at anything less than £40m i believe.

The fact that we dropped Sheva doesn't make me feel any better about the amount that was spent on him. That signing destabilised us massively in my opinion.

I just think we've done so much good work over the last couple of years in buying responsibly and giving us all the sense that we're building something skilfully and with a bit of thought. The Mata, De Bruyne and Lukaku deals weren't obvious - they were all punts and we've nurtured these young men so they're worth more.

Cavani is just a cynical signing in my opinion. It's essentially throwing money at the most expensive striker available. Personally, I find it a very dull signing.

You forget he will not get a fair chance to prove himself. A 50+ mil striker WILL HAVE to play. This is what is wrong with the story. Don't go about as if his price tag doesn't give him the edge. Remember Torres?

He will lack momentum, and some of you fans will kill him because he doesnt seem to perform in those few matches.

That to me is dishonourfull towards true blues.

What happened to in Mourinho we trust? If Lukaku is man enough he will take his chance, if he can't handle the pressure then a loan move would have been the best option.

What happened to in Mourinho we trust? If Lukaku is man enough he will take his chance, if he can't handle the pressure then a loan move would have been the best option.

Ow comon ... He IS man enough - as a 19 year old he has proven that allready. If he can deal with the preasure - maybe. Cavani will have to adapt to the pressure just the same. I don't rate Napoli STEPS above what West Brom did. Also ... NT - they both do it. What I do fear is a bias. Cavani WILL start no matter what. He WILL have most time independant if Lukaku shoots ALL balls in on training and Cavani misses all.

In Mourinho we trust? Well, I never said that. I think Mourinho is a great coach - but he can fuck things up just like any other (slightly! :-) On the other hand .... Lukaku has to get a chance to do it outside of a loan once. Why not now we still have to other strikers and a HUGE (future) hole in our pivot and defence.

I don't want to debate Cavani being 'better' at this time. He most definitely is.

Its about the long term idea. In that respect .... I just don't know Sinine.

This Cavanni saga is really fucking me off...

I did want Falcao, then I wanted him - now I'm like fuck it - we got Lukaku, BA and Torres - that will do for next season!

I'm more interested in selling Mikel and getting a good (or 2) DMs in to replace him :)

Maybe sign another defender and all good...

Signing Cavanni for 58million euros and watching him flop will be too painful and make us a club highly ridiculed again! Not to mention him and Torres will likely start bumming each other for moral support...

I'd rather see Lukaku given a chance - if we still need a change then get someone in Jan and fuck the prices - at least we tried to do the right thing!!!!

:)

I did want Falcao, then I wanted him - now I'm like fuck it - we got Lukaku, BA and Torres - that will do for next season!

I'm more interested in selling Mikel and getting a good (or 2) DMs in to replace him :)

Maybe sign another defender and all good...

Signing Cavanni for 58million euros and watching him flop will be too painful and make us a club highly ridiculed again! Not to mention him and Torres will likely start bumming each other for moral support...

I'd rather see Lukaku given a chance - if we still need a change then get someone in Jan and fuck the prices - at least we tried to do the right thing!!!!

:)

Yes, I am in the same boat.

After being one of those fans who thought that we needed to go out and splash ridiculous money on another striker (Falcao/Cavani) in order to compete I have changed my tune and want Lukaku to be given a go, with Ba and Torres (unless we are able to unload Torres) as back up. I don't think , save for Drogba in a few seasons, we have had one seriously prolific striker at Chelsea, and with the way our team is set up we have loads of goals coming from the midfield, so is spending 50m+ on another striker really the best option?? If we are not able to offload Torres, then we will have 120-130M in striking talent at the club + wages..

The only problem is that I know many fans, especially in the heat of the moment, will criticise and jump on Lukaku if he doesn't have a good start and we end up panicking by Jan..by which time we may not be able to secure an 'elite' striker'.

Overall, though, I just think it is better for the long-term future of the team that we don't bring in another 50m+ striker and we stick with Lukaku. I also like TOPTB's point about having a more emotional/romantic connection with seeing Lukaku succeed here, rather than an expensive player that would have rather played in Madrid anyway. We should look to replace Mikel and maybe bring in another CB + Luke Shaw if he is available then I think we're good. There is also the bonus of seeing Lukaku grow and develop here, at Chelsea, into a lethal striker -- under Jose Mourinho, no less.

No it wont. Lukaku still has the touch of an Elephant, Ba is ok at best and Torres is utter shit. We cant challenge for anything without a class striker.

Lukaku still has the touch of an Elephant

Ok man. It has been MUCH better for one. On the other hand ... he did other stuff strikers need to do. Movement, weighing, pressure,pace, force, scoring , .... at 19?

So what now.... does the relative lack of defensive competence make Hazard a bad midfielder? Or Mata? Maybe the lack of a super first touch doesnt make Lukaku a bad striker. What a bogus metaphor - elephant. Tggg.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You