Edinson Cavani

CFC58

To be honest mate, I'm done arguing about it.

We're going to sign Cavani and we'll probably win the title. He might score 20 goals, he might not. I'm rapidly losing interest.

Romelu is a great guy who has done enough to earn his chance in my opinion. Growing up I would've killed to have watched a guy like this come through the ranks and become a legend for us, but I'm starting to think that I'm an antique. That isn't what football fans want now and it doesn't make the money.

So let's just sign this guy, sell loads of t-shirts and enjoy the youtube clips packages because that's what modern football is.

Yes man. I so agree. Somtimes I also think values have changed dramatically. Younger fans only covet gold, not honour it seems.

While I like my share of succes, there is indeed a - some would say romantic - charm. This guy deserves it, and he can only fully blossem - self realise when he gets the spot. Not the shadow spot. We forget we are not a team that thrives on a star striker, also we still have two striker on our hand that in no way seem to be leaving. We should focus on other positios really. The amount of money seems irresponsible, even unethical.

But then again, The Only Place To be, we share our age. Antiques, maybe. Wisom doesnt come with youth though. Only impatience does.

Yes man. I so agree. Somtimes I also think values have changed dramatically. Younger fans only covet gold, not honour it seems.

While I like my share of succes, there is indeed a - some would say romantic - charm. This guy deserves it, and he can only fully blossem - self realise when he gets the spot. Not the shadow spot. We forget we ate not a team that thrives on a star striker, also we still have two striker on our hand that in no way seem to be leaving. We should focus on other positios really. The amount of money seems irresponsible, even unethical.

But then again, The Only Place To be, we share our age. Antiques, maybe. Wisom doesnt come with youth though. Only impatience does.

So we accept we possibly hinder our chances of silverware with sitcking with young upcoming striker like Lukaku. What about the other players who want to win things, are at their physical peak? Do they need to suffer because of that "romantic charm" - no. He deserves his chance as much as any other youngster in our squad, he has to earn it on the pitch not rely on his last season's heroics. Noone said shouldn't give him a chance. What I personally want to say is that it'd be shortsighted to go into the season without changing something in our striker department. Bringing or not bringing Cavani wouldn't make that much of a difference. In the end of the day we need to rotate one way to another and secondly it all comes down to who performs better in training, shows better attitude and basically wants it more. Lukaku has great mentality and if he keeps working hard he will be a success but he is too young and inexperienced to start the season with that much pressure on his shoulders. Going in with Cavani-Lukaku-Ba/Torres would be ideal scenario. And FFP is nothing to worry about, Chelsea wouldn't be making a move if it would be an issue (keep in mind we really don't know if any of those proposed moves by Chelsea are even true) and losing and dropping out on competitions would affect Chelsea's economic stability even more than splashing out on a marquee signing.

So we accept we possibly hinder our chances of silverware with sitcking with young upcoming striker like Lukaku. What about the other players who want to win things, are at their physical peak? Do they need to suffer because of that "romantic charm" - no. He deserves his chance as much as any other youngster in our squad, he has to earn it on the pitch not rely on his last season's heroics. Noone said shouldn't give him a chance. What I personally want to say is that it'd be shortsighted to go into the season without changing something in our striker department. Bringing or not bringing Cavani wouldn't make that much of a difference. In the end of the day we need to rotate one way to another and secondly it all comes down to who performs better in training, shows better attitude and basically wants it more. Lukaku has great mentality and if he keeps working hard he will be a success but he is too young and inexperienced to start the season with that much pressure on his shoulders. Going in with Cavani-Lukaku-Ba/Torres would be ideal scenario.

You forget he will not get a fair chance to prove himself. A 50+ mil striker WILL HAVE to play. This is what is wrong with the story. Don't go about as if his price tag doesn't give him the edge. Remember Torres?

He will lack momentum, and some of you fans will kill him because he doesnt seem to perform in those few matches.

That to me is dishonourfull towards true blues.

You forget he will not get a fair chance to prove himself. A 50+ mil striker WILL HAVE to play. This is what is wrong with the story. Don't go about as if his price tag doesn't give him the edge. Remember Torres?

He will lack momentum, and some of you fans will kill him because he doesnt seem to perform in those few matches.

That to me is dishonourfull towards true blues.

His chances of starting an important UCL or EPL match would be close to zero, I agree but it's a long season and if a 20 year old striker can get for example 20-30 games (including subsitution appearances) under his belt in a club like Chelsea that's "getting a chance" in my book.

Torres hasn't played under Mourinho yet.

Remember Sheva? even Ricky (who was the most expensive defender behind Rio at the time) saw his fair share off the bench under Jose.

Yeah, Lukaku has done a good job while out on loan, and thus deserves a chance at Chelsea.

But giving him a chance doesn't equate to not look for strengthen our striking force just so we are forced to play him. We gotta put things into their context. Lukaku didn't kill the Lernaean Hydra. Certainly his goal tally his impressive, yet that was for a club that achieved nothing that season. 11 players have started more games than him, while 43% of his games are off the bench. At these lights, having a good season at West Brom and having a good season at Chelsea are two diffrent things ; not the same pressure, not the same challenge, not the same level.

In his first season here, he was not trusted. The second, he's been sent out on loan. Giving him the opportunity to take a role in our squad and to prove his value under our colours is the chance he deserves. After, if he wants to be our starting striker, then he'll have to prove that in the upcoming years. A young player of 20 years-old cannot be given a straight pass to the starting XI just because he scored 17 goals at West Brom.

Out of 60 competitive games, Cavani will never start all of them — only Messi does. Between the Premier League, the Champions League (especially the groupe stage), the FA Cup and the League Cup, Lukaku could easily have his fair share of games where he'd start. If Cavani comes, I can fashion Ba leaving, and the ladyboy benched if we cannot sell him (unless he improves). Having a great striker and a promising young one is an ideal situation for us, in my opinion ; for Lukaku, too. Eventually, all the pressure would be upon Cavani's shoulders and thus Lukaku could focus upon his football.

Lukaku is a clever guy and he knows what he has to do in order to succeed at Chelsea. If he proves his worth, then he'll play and eventually be our first choice striker. I don't think Mourinho will not give him his chance (if he stays) ; nor do I think that Mourinho will not play Lukaku because of Cavani price (such a thing seems to not matter to José's eyes).

If he stays at Chelsea next season, he will have his chance — Cavani or not.

Good points, but still don't make me feel better about spending £50 million on a 27 year old 'proven' striker.

I thought we were done spending huge amounts on 'finished articles' and were instead focusing on building a team in a more thoughtful, patient manner. I've got a massive soft spot for Lukaku because I like his attitude. I like his love for this club and I like watching him play football.

More importantly, I think he fits our team and whilst he's not the finished article I actually want to see him grow with us. I feel like I have a connection with this young man in a way I don't have with Cavani. I felt that way before we signed him because of his love for the game and for this club.

I'm sure we'll win loads with Cavani and he might become a hero at the club but there's just something so soulless about this type of signing.

Honestly, we'll lift the league title in May not because we have the best fans and not because we had the bravery to give our youth a chance to build a team for the next decade, but because our chequebook is bigger than the other guys'.

Where's my fucking flag?

His chances of starting an important UCL or EPL match would be close to zero, I agree but it's a long season and if a 20 year old striker can get for example 20-30 games (including subsitution appearances) under his belt in a club like Chelsea that's "getting a chance" in my book.

Exactly, the way some go on i swear they won't rest until we are fielding a team full off under 21's.

I thought we were done spending huge amounts on 'finished articles' and were instead focusing on building a team in a more thoughtful, patient manner. I've got a massive soft spot for Lukaku because I like his attitude. I like his love for this club and I like watching him play football.

Our whole policy as a whole has changed yes, but their can be exception's to that rule.

If our main aim in the transfer market is building a upcoming team with say one (two at a push) marquee big signing's every 3/4 years i don't see the problem, infact i think it strikes a perfect balance.

Exactly, the way some go on i swear they won't rest until we are fielding a team full off under 21's.

Mata is over 21.

Hazard is over 21.

Cech is over 21.

Azpilicueta is over 21.

Cole is over 21.

Luiz is over 21.

Oscar is over 21.

Schurrle is over 21.

Rami is over 21.

So um, yeah.

And anyone who thinks that Lukaku and Cavani will get an equal shot at the starting spot is kidding themselves. It's finanacially irresponsible to spend £50 million on an asset and not give them EVERY opportunity to succeed.

Bullshit. We have other spots to fill with 'experienced' players. Focus on the pivot and defence for example. We already have two 'experienced' strikers btw that arent leaving. Also, our 21 year olds - Hazard, Oscar and somewhat older new one - Azpi did really bad, didn't they?

Sorry, but your argument is a strawman attack. Does not compute. It sounds groovy, but there is nothing in it.

Us giving Lukaku number 1 forward this term is the equivalent of Arsenal doing the same to RVP when he signed in 2004.

Great forwards (Lukaku 2013, RVP 2004) and have a fantastic future but not ready to be #1 at a club with designs on winning the title.

Us giving Lukaku number 1 forward this term is the equivalent of Arsenal doing the same to RVP when he signed in 2004.

Great forwards (Lukaku 2013, RVP 2004) and have a fantastic future but not ready to be #1 at a club with designs on winning the title.

You forget we have two other strikers ..... Not all good ones, lmao, but hey! Guess what, a super solo striker isnt our thing. And for that price?

Good points, but still don't make me feel better about spending £50 million on a 27 year old 'proven' striker.

More importantly, I think he fits our team and whilst he's not the finished article I actually want to see him grow with us. I feel like I have a connection with this young man in a way I don't have with Cavani. I felt that way before we signed him because of his love for the game and for this club.

I'm sure we'll win loads with Cavani and he might become a hero at the club but there's just something so soulless about this type of signing.

Honestly, we'll lift the league title in May not because we have the best fans and not because we had the bravery to give our youth a chance to build a team for the next decade, but because our chequebook is bigger than the other guys'.

Where's my fucking flag?

No more likes man. You deserve 1000 for this.

Bullshit. We have other spots to fill with 'experienced' players. Focus on the pivot and defence for example. We already have two 'experienced' strikers btw that arent leaving. Also, our 21 year olds - Hazard, Oscar and somewhat older new one - Azpi did really bad, didn't they?

Sorry, but your argument is a strawman attack. Does not compute. It sounds groovy, but there is nothing in it.

The window isn't open yet and you already know that Ba and Torres aren't moving - let me quote you: "Bullshit". We don't know anything till it's 1st of September. And generally speaking our season was dire - dropping out on competitions and had to battle till last games to secure Champions League football.

Mata is over 21.

Hazard is over 21.

Cech is over 21.

Azpilicueta is over 21.

Cole is over 21.

Luiz is over 21.

Oscar is over 21.

Schurrle is over 21.

Rami is over 21.

So um, yeah.

And anyone who thinks that Lukaku and Cavani will get an equal shot at the starting spot is kidding themselves. It's finanacially irresponsible to spend £50 million on an asset and not give them EVERY opportunity to succeed.

Some have taken my post a little bit too seriously :lol:

Lukaku will get chances next season regardless of Cavani. We signed Drogba for £24m in 2004 (out of interest, who didn't want that to go through?) which is roughly similar to £50m in the current day, now correct me if im wrong but i im pretty sure Gudjohnsen didn't rot on the bench that season? even Kezman got his fair share of matches despite being utterly crap.

Mata is over 21. 24

Hazard is over 21. 22

Cech is over 21.

Azpilicueta is over 21. 23

Cole is over 21.

Luiz is over 21.

Oscar is over 21. 22

Schurrle is over 21. 22

Rami is over 21.

So um, yeah.

yeah you got him good, were not realy an u21 team :ph34r: .... the first line up would still be too young to compete everything with Lukaku in it.

RVP had no Premier League experience and Arsenal had Thierry Henry at the club.

Some have taken my post a little bit too seriously :lol:

Lukaku will get chances next season regardless of Cavani. We signed Drogba for £24m in 2004 (out of interest, who didn't want that to go through?) which is roughly similar to £50m in the current day, now correct me if im wrong but i im pretty sure Gudjohnsen didn't rot on the bench that season? even Kezman got his fair share of matches despite being utterly crap.

Drogba was 3 years younger and half the price. If Cavani was £30 million then I doubt anyone would object but this is just a massive amount of money in my opinion.

Eidur got games in other positions too.

yeah you got him good, were not realy an u21 team :ph34r: .... the first line up would still be too young to compete everything with Lukaku in it.

Too young to compete? Is there now an age-restriction on certain tournaments?

You're good enough, you're old enough.

The window isn't open yet and you already know that Ba and Torres aren't moving - let me quote you: "Bullshit". We don't know anything till it's 1st of September. And generally speaking our season was dire - dropping out on competitions and had to battle till last games to secure Champions League football.

If you're talking about making signings to improve on last season, the midfield and defence are the most important areas. That's how we won leagues under Jose.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You