Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

14 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Of course he is. That is why United weren't too fussed when he left and why, despite posturing to keep his value high, Inter aren't too bothered now either.

I believe that Rom is the same player he was when I wrote him off as a Chelsea prospect in 2011. I had endless discussions at the time with people claiming he was young and that his touch would improve. I said then, and believe just as strongly now, that players' innate qualities become fixed and permanent way before the age of 19. Experience and training can teach a player how to make the most of what he has but what he has, his basic talent level, isn't going anywhere at that age.

In the winter of 2011 I said that Rom would make a career for himself because some of his attributes are outstanding but that he should not be at Chelsea. I claimed that any manager of a top level club finding himself with Rom as his first choice striker would soon be looking for an upgrade. So I think it has been and so I think it will be with TT next summer if we sign Rom now. The Belgian will score goals for sure but he will leave everyone feeling that we need more up top.

If Rom wants to return it'll be because he feels Inter's less than 100% commitment and because he likes the jingle of the proposed pay packet. It won't be anything to do with him feeling that he has 'unfinished business' with Chelsea. It's far more likely that someone at Chelsea has unfinished business with him.

Well put. I feel Lukaku would jump on this because this will be his mostly last big payout and I doubt if any other top team is coming for him other than us. 

I hope really hope that he performs ... the issue is that we have been crying out loud when Werner has been missing goals, with Lukaku coming in we might have 2. Yes he might score more goals than Werner (still hopefully though) but as you rightly pointed out it will leave us wanting more and we go into the same loop. 

7 hours ago, King Kante said:

Oh, no! Juan is upset about people talking bad about signing a donkey* he likes for €130m. 

We had all better watch out! He sounds really big and scary typing away on his keyboard calling people names and trying to psycho analyse them. 

In football, especially in the United Kingdom, a player who is considered unskilful is often dubbed a "donkey",[35] and the term has a similar connotation in poker

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_references_to_donkeys

Much appreciated😘

7 hours ago, King Kante said:

Lukaku's first touch is pretty poor, thus I have evidence for the reference. Juan's only interactions with people on here is through odd posts here and there and he has no idea of what they're like in real life. 

I'm not really interested what you are like in real life, sorry if this upsets you.

3 hours ago, Hermione said:

The club is such short sighted, I highly doubt they saw Dortmund don't want to sell and said but next year we have no chance anyways, the truth is that Abramovic and the club live in the present time, they want to achieve things now, not wait another season to continue building on our success but here and now, that's actually fine, since it means they are ambitions, but on the other hand they are taking a massive gamble with Lukaku who may or may not deliver, instead of waiting for the winning ticket in Haaland.

There's many things the board can be called but short sighted is not really one of them.

Last night I wrote about how out of character this Lukaku signing seemed for them, because they almost always go for the players in age bracket 21-25 instead of players at the peak of their careers. In fact I did a check on the last 7-8 years worth of transfer windows and came up with a conclusion that really only Ziyech, David Luiz (mk2), Fabregas and Pedro were big money players signed at the prime of their careers, and none of those were even close to being the club's record signing. Sure there have also been older players like Giroud etc. being brought in as squad players for lower fees, but generally speaking the policy of the club is to always go for players who are still developing and have more re-sale value in case they're ever sold. Even now the squad is mostly built on these kind of younger players, so signing one player at the peak of their powers is not a problem in the slightest unless you've already decided Lukaku will be a shit signing and can do nothing right in your eyes, like you obviously have.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bamford said:

Good point

Competing for the title?

Given Lukaku is supposedly all great now and the amount of money we're about to throw at Inter to sign him, he better win us the Premier League title. Otherwise, it's all for naught! 

10 minutes ago, Jas said:

Competing for the title?

Given Lukaku is supposedly all great now and the amount of money we're about to throw at Inter to sign him, he better win us the Premier League title. Otherwise, it's all for naught! 

Guardiola is a league winning machine. Will be tough to win a league where we need 90+ points.

10 minutes ago, Strike said:

Guardiola is a league winning machine. Will be tough to win a league where we need 90+ points.

So? Lukaku is supposedly one of the best strikers in the world right? He's supposedly improved in the last 2-3 years right? Then he better win us the Premier League because otherwise, what's the point? It's not like we can't win the domestic cups or even the Champions League without him.  

3 minutes ago, Jas said:

So? Lukaku is supposedly one of the best strikers in the world right? He's supposedly improved in the last 2-3 years right? Then he better win us the Premier League because otherwise, what's the point? It's not like we can't win the domestic cups or even the Champions League without him.  

Doesn't it feel like the league is out of reach this year - with or without Lukaku? Winning the league has taken around 90 points since the Leicester 2016 win. Tuchel has made improved the team but the margins become smaller as we go closer to the top. City and Pep are league machines unfortunately.

Am I still reading about Lukaku's first touch? I mean seriously? It's clear that people have not been watching him play for Inter, because he's not the same player he once was.

Conte made Lukaku do drills on his own during Inter Milans training sessions. Those training sessions were to improve his first touch, and it was basically him having his back against Ranocchia whilst balls were played into him. If his first touch was bad then the drill would restart, and that drill happened all last season which significantly helped his first touch. Not only that, but Lukaku's football iq has improved a lot. His end product is amazing nowadays, and his linkup play has improved leap and bounds as well.

I'm confident that he's going to destroy the Premier League if he comes. Ever since Tuchel has been here we've created the most goalscoring chances in the league. Add the fact that we'll have a full team fit and ready to go, because of the pre-season we desperately needed. Kai Havertz will start the season being in very good form, and we know how good his link-up play is. I hope he becomes the new Lautaro for Lukaku.

Edited by Azul

8 minutes ago, Azul said:

Am I still reading about Lukaku's first touch? I mean seriously? It's clear that people have not been watching him play for Inter, because he's not the same player he once was.

Conte made Lukaku do drills on his own during Inter Milans training sessions. Those training sessions were to improve his first touch, and it was basically him having his back against Ranocchia whilst balls were played into him. If his first touch was bad then the drill would restart, and that drill happened all last season which significantly helped his first touch. Not only that, but Lukaku's football iq has improved a lot. His end product is amazing nowadays, and his linkup play has improved leap and bounds as well.

I'm confident that he's going to destroy the Premier League if he comes. Ever since Tuchel has been here we've created the most goalscoring chances in the league. Add the fact that we'll have a full team fit and ready to go, because of the pre-season we desperately needed. Kai Havertz will start the season being in very good form, and we know how good his link-up play is. I hope he becomes the new Lautaro for Lukaku.

Finally a level headed guy!!!! Glad to see some 1 who has done his research rather than just post absolute bollocks.

3 minutes ago, BluesMadLad said:

Finally a level headed guy!!!! Glad to see some 1 who has done his research rather than just post absolute bollocks.

I watch Serie A a lot with my brother, so I'm baffled at what I'm reading on this forum😂

I hate when fans that don't even watch Inter have the nerve to assess Lukaku as a player.

Edited by Azul

37 minutes ago, Strike said:

Doesn't it feel like the league is out of reach this year - with or without Lukaku? Winning the league has taken around 90 points since the Leicester 2016 win. Tuchel has made improved the team but the margins become smaller as we go closer to the top. City and Pep are league machines unfortunately.

Yeah it might be a stretch to expect an improvement from 67 points to around 90 points, but it's not totally unheard of:

- Conte improved 43 points from 15/16 to 16/17 season

- Guardiola improved 22 points from 16/17 to 17/18 season

- Klopp improved 22 points from 17/18 to 18/19 season (still didn't win the league with 97pts tho)

With a striker like Lukaku I'd definitely expect Tuchel to reach around 85 points, because not only would he have gotten some reinforcements to improvement the team but he also gets a full pre-season instead of having to come in mid-season and take over from the mess his predecessor left him in. Even with the same set of players I'd be very disappointed if Tuchel didn't make at least a 10 point improvement on last seasons point tally (where Lampard was in charge for half of the season), and with something like  200M spent on the market (assuming Lukaku and Kounde are signed) the improvement must be more than that. I won't berate him if he doesn't deliver the league title but if at the very least he can't get 85 points minimum he'll have failed and there's no way around that fact.