Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

7 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

It is hard to imagine the Glazers paying the release clause of €85M all up front, then paying Riaola €30-40M, then paying Alfie €10 - 20M, then paying Haaland a massive signing bonus. 

They never do those transfers.

And his wages will be up towards 500-600k/w if not more when PSG and Real comes in. 

Lukaku sucks. We should get Vlahovic as 2nd striker and move for Haaland next window. This window looks bleak if we get Kounde and Lukaku. Both their money could buy Haaland and I would rather buy him. 

7 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Enough, this is not my first rodeo. I have never been a fan of Lukaku at any point. 

same.

Considering his strengths, pace and power, it is a worry that he did so poorly at United (the PL) and did so well in Italy, a far slower league. Even at Everton, he was more of a counter attacking weapon.
Risky signing and ridiculously expensive considering who we'd be getting. 

I'm not elated about this potential deal but I'm equally not feeling disappointed either. I think the backlash from some is bordering on the ridiculous. Someone with his goal scoring record throughout his career can be nowhere near as bad as some are making him out to be.

The transfer fee is the big thing for me but you have to place trust into the board and people dealing with this transfer.

If you take away any transfer fees, age, etc then out of all the strikers potentially attainable on the market (and from what it seems Haaland isn't one of those) he's just about the best one out there. We could go for a cheaper option like an Ings and it possibly would be a more sensible option, but he is not in the same league of striker that Lukaku is in. 

He does seem to have improved his all round game whilst in Italy. Whether that can be replicated back in England we would have to see. His first touch is still a potential question mark, but then Werner is erratic in this department too and it doesn't stop him being a huge threat with his pace. Lukaku with his pace and power could be very similar because when he gets going it is like a freight train running towards the opposition goal. He will both terrify and occupy a number of defenders through his physicality.

I don't want to draw Drogba comparisons but he was incredibly frustrating initially. We didn't see his best until he was nearly 29 and he just continued to get better. There is nothing to say that Lukaku isn't in a similar process himself of maturing and peaking and we get his best years.

I am also pretty sure he will score goals if he were to come here. People have been crying out on the forum all summer about the lack of cutting edge in the squad and how we need a goal scorer and he definitely brings that. 

I think the question marks of where he fits in alongside other players is possibly being answered at present by Tuchel in pre season. He has tried a couple of alternative variants of the midfield and attack make up in a back 3/wing back formation. We still have from last season the pivot and three attackers, but we've seen in pre season 2 up top with a number 10 in behind and also more of a sitting midfielder with two number 8's and 2 attackers. We have also seen Pulisic and CHO operate as more offensive minded wing back options. I think the versatility and flexibility we have amongst our attacking players could allow for some slight variations on the wing back system next season and also to be able to change things mid-game without impacting on the defence. There is a very real possibility that Lukaku may bring the best out in Werner to operate as a second striker and possibly the same with Havertz too.

Edited by Superblue_1986

1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

Literally no logical person gives a shit about how good Lukaku was against grandpa league. When you have scrubs like Immobile, Muriel, and Birardi scoring for fun it is hard to take anything he did seriously at Inter.

I watched him at the Euros he is literally the same player when he left United. 

Anyway we have signed a lot of bust strikers over the years, my body can take another one.

We could...but this is kind of like a Torres transfer.

Not because Lukaku is anywhere like Torres the player.

But because we're practically going to be stuck with him as the big name striker, if things go south.

Remember how long it took for us to move on from Torres and sign a high profile striker like Costa? It was basically feeding off scraps like Ba and Eto'o until then.

26 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

We could...but this is kind of like a Torres transfer.

Not because Lukaku is anywhere like Torres the player.

But because we're practically going to be stuck with him as the big name striker, if things go south.

Remember how long it took for us to move on from Torres and sign a high profile striker like Costa? It was basically feeding off scraps like Ba and Eto'o until then.

To be honest that is no different to any big money signing, even more so at these levels of price. Haaland and Kane would be in the same bracket too, there is no guarantee that either of them would be worth the price. Kane could break down at any time with his injury history and we only have to look at Werner so far to know that Haaland's goal record in Germany is no guarantee to be replicated over here.

The risk involved with any signing at this sort of rate is massive but the rewards could be equally as big if he is the missing piece and the goal scorer to drive this squad to more trophies.

15 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

To be honest that is no different to any big money signing, even more so at these levels of price. Haaland and Kane would be in the same bracket too, there is no guarantee that either of them would be worth the price. Kane could break down at any time with his injury history and we only have to look at Werner so far to know that Haaland's goal record in Germany is no guarantee to be replicated over here.

The risk involved with any signing at this sort of rate is massive but the rewards could be equally as big if he is the missing piece and the goal scorer to drive this squad to more trophies.

Haaland would at least have some resell value if he didn't deliver. The same can't be said about this potential signing.

In relation to your point about Haaland/Werner comparison, just look at the former's record in the CL.

2 hours ago, Hashishi said:

Lukaku sucks. We should get Vlahovic as 2nd striker and move for Haaland next window. This window looks bleak if we get Kounde and Lukaku. Both their money could buy Haaland and I would rather buy him. 

I think club sees next season as an impossible scenario with other clubs in the mix.

3 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Literally no logical person gives a shit about how good Lukaku was against grandpa league. When you have scrubs like Immobile, Muriel, and Birardi scoring for fun it is hard to take anything he did seriously at Inter.

I watched him at the Euros he is literally the same player when he left United. 

Anyway we have signed a lot of bust strikers over the years, my body can take another one.

So basically because he scored all those goals for Inter in a 'grandpa' league, where they beat Juventus to the title for first time in 10 years or so, you have worked out that he is on the same level he still was when he left United? Take the tinted glasses off honestly.

I also watched Belgium at the Euros. He scored 4 goals or so right and I think generally his performance was good bar that Italy game. I also saw Kane and Mbappe in the Euros and they were poor almost every game. On that note, let's assume Harry Kane is not a top striker then. Or it proves Mbappe is not a top player because he plays in Ligue 1 and was poor in a few games at Euros.

It is not logical. Anyway, if he joins which seems is likely, hopefully you eat your words.

33 minutes ago, Stats said:

It is not logical. Anyway, if he joins which seems is likely, hopefully you eat your words.

Sorry bruv

But if as likely he does end up here, I will be greatly disappointed to say the least, I don't reckon him, don't like him at all.

The coming season will be depressing watching Chelsea with him up top.

I would continue with Havertz as false 9 and sign a cheaper alternative than spend this money on Lukaku.

But it is hilarious how many are not acknowledging that Lukaku is a level above any striker we have and any striker in the market except Kane and Haaland.

45 minutes ago, Strike said:

I would continue with Havertz as false 9 and sign a cheaper alternative than spend this money on Lukaku.

But it is hilarious how many are not acknowledging that Lukaku is a level above any striker we have and any striker in the market except Kane and Haaland.

Agreed.

I don't want Lukaku here one bit but people are starting to go well too far with this now.

58 minutes ago, Hermione said:

The club is such short sighted, I highly doubt they saw Dortmund don't want to sell and said but next year we have no chance anyways, the truth is that Abramovic and the club live in the present time, they want to achieve things now, not wait another season to continue building on our success but here and now, that's actually fine, since it means they are ambitions, but on the other hand they are taking a massive gamble with Lukaku who may or may not deliver, instead of waiting for the winning ticket in Haaland.

What makes Haaland a winning ticket and not Lukaku? Batshuayi was at Dortmund and scored for fun. Werner too. Haller... It is a very offensive league where attackers flourish. Same way Lukaku is a gamble, Haaland is a gamble. That is naive to say that Lukaku is a risk but Haaland is not. Lukaku actually has experience of playing in the PL and yes some people will say he is a flat-track bully, however his goal record in the PL is impressive. Haaland has never played in the PL before and will also find the PL a total different ball game.

Also regarding the club living in the present time, if that was the case we would have been in for Varane, yet we are targeting Kounde.