Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

I would have expected a few weeks ago that Rudiger would be the only player we'd lose but it's now looking more and more likely that Christensen and Azpi could move on too.

It's far from ideal that we'll need to replace 3 first team players automatically before we even look at improving a squad which has shown in recent weeks it needs refreshing.

I can see the club moving for one of the players who's contracts are expiring this summer like Sule or Ginter and I wouldn't be surprised if Tuchel looked at recalling Colwill next season as a left footed centre back. That would probably leave us with needing one big centre back signing then to go with the above and Silva and Chalobah (bearing in mind Silva will be 38 next season though, he can't go on forever no matter how good he is).

I feel with the system and Tuchel's coaching that any decent/good centre back would look significantly better. You only have to look at how much better Azpi, Rudiger and Christensen look in a back 3 compared to a back 4 (even going back to Conte's days). I would be more inclined to be spending money on (a) wing backs, (b) an attacking upgrade on the likes of Pulisic and Ziyech and (c) a dominant midfielder to take over long term from Kante.

3 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Crazy that you win CL, finish summer transfer window around zero and still record big loss. And UEFA wonder why clubs want Super League.

We were over £50m to the good net-wise on transfers when all inbound and outbound transfer fees and loans were taken into account.

1 hour ago, chelsea_4_eva said:

So theres a big possibility that we're gonna lose Andreas, Rudi and Azpi all on free.. We need to shop for a whole new defence lol

b9c8a2c793377292b6394003823952af.png

plus these also expire in June, 2022

b853f593e81ef64c52a309ce6b456b62.pngb458823e153ef47b2f0cf9eb585aef43.png6e04106b01f4f8d8274f497a86af4872.png

Edited by Vesper

14 minutes ago, Vesper said:

We were over £50m to the good net-wise on transfers when all inbound and outbound transfer fees and loans were taken into account.

Aren't these figures based on the previous summer spending?

I think the deals last summer come into effect next time.

2 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Aren't these figures based on the previous summer spending?

I think the deals last summer come into effect next time.

no that was adding up just action in the summer window, I kept a very detailed track of it all

FUCK 🤬

Reece injury

Reported by The Athletic it could see him unavailable until well into the New Year, with healthline.com reporting:

Typically, partial tears heal in 4 to 8 weeks, while complete tears take about 3 months. You should start to feel better with regular physical therapy and lots of rest.

4 minutes ago, Vesper said:

FUCK 🤬

Reece injury

Reported by The Athletic it could see him unavailable until well into the New Year, with healthline.com reporting:

Typically, partial tears heal in 4 to 8 weeks, while complete tears take about 3 months. You should start to feel better with regular physical therapy and lots of rest.

Just throwing this suggestion out there - Kieran Trippier, anyone? 

16 minutes ago, Jase said:

Just throwing this suggestion out there - Kieran Trippier, anyone? 

Tripper isn't a bad shout but the problem will be that a team like Newcastle will likely be prepared to spend quite big on him.

We have to be really careful here with what we do in January. It's clear we need reinforcements, especially at wing back, but short term fixes need to be as cheap and efficient as possible. There has been too many cases in the past of short term gain for long term pain in our squad and I do feel in recent times we've moved away from that mindset and set our sights on clearer targets, even if we've had to wait.

If we could make deals to take Trippier and Digne on loans (even if we had to pay a couple of mill as a loan fee) then great, I'm all for that. If however, we need to be spending £20m to bring someone in I just feel it's worsening the situation in the future as with the greatest respect Digne isn't really much better than Alonso and Trippier is already 31 and never really cut it at the highest level. If the options were take a Trippier or Digne now for £20m or get through this season and pick up someone like Theo Hernandez for £50m in the summer then I'd rather make do and get the player in the summer that will significantly improve us.

'

23 minutes ago, Vesper said:

he was going to NUFC

Nothing has been confirmed yet though.

4 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Tripper isn't a bad shout but the problem will be that a team like Newcastle will likely be prepared to spend quite big on him.

We have to be really careful here with what we do in January. It's clear we need reinforcements, especially at wing back, but short term fixes need to be as cheap and efficient as possible. There has been too many cases in the past of short term gain for long term pain in our squad and I do feel in recent times we've moved away from that mindset and set our sights on clearer targets, even if we've had to wait.

If we could make deals to take Trippier and Digne on loans (even if we had to pay a couple of mill as a loan fee) then great, I'm all for that. If however, we need to be spending £20m to bring someone in I just feel it's worsening the situation in the future as with the greatest respect Digne isn't really much better than Alonso and Trippier is already 31 and never really cut it at the highest level. If the options were take a Trippier or Digne now for £20m or get through this season and pick up someone like Theo Hernandez for £50m in the summer then I'd rather make do and get the player in the summer that will significantly improve us.

Not saying that we should go into a bidding war with Newcastle but you never know if we just test the waters, Trippier may fancy coming to us instead, for obvious reasons. 

7 hours ago, Vesper said:

yikes!!!

Chelsea confirm £145.6m loss as pandemic and transfer business bites hard

The club has published its accounts for the most recent financial year

https://www.football.london/Chelsea-fc/Chelsea-confirm-1456m-loss-pandemic-22601429

Chelsea made a post-tax loss of £145.6million for the financial year ending in June, with the club pointing to the pandemic’s impact and a decreased profit on player sales in their latest accounts.

Roman Abramovich's club made a profit of £39.5million a year previous.

Overall turnover jumped by £29million to £416.8million, mostly thanks to a boost in broadcast income, but matchday revenue was obliterated owing to most of last season taking place behind closed doors and there was a knock-on impact to commercial income.

What an absolute disastrous way to end 2021.  Honestly all that’s missing is Tuchel getting the sack. 

43 minutes ago, Vesper said:

no that was adding up just action in the summer window, I kept a very detailed track of it all

From the link:

Chelsea spent £220.3million on signings in the financial year, headlined by the arrival of Kai Havertz in addition to Ben Chilwell and Edouard Mendy. The financial year concluded the day before the 2021 summer transfer window opened so the £100million cost of signing Romelu Lukaku from Internazionale is not factored in.

34 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I AM blaming Marina for a lot of this.

Contracts ARE her responsibility.

The biggest issue with Rudi and Christensen is that they weren't regulars under Lampard with 18 months left to run. There was no way either would sign a contract at that stage and more than likely both would have been sold last summer in normal circumstances with a year left.

But both having become integral under Tuchel shifts the goalposts, especially in Rudiger's case where its the last big contract he's going to get. 

Azpilicueta is a different story but we've had a one year extension for over 30 year old players for years. There are always going to be one or two that slip through the net as a result but I do think that the policy is a good idea that has worked well for us.

According to the accounts, the squad's value before adding the striker was £957million, meaning the Belgian's arrival would have taken it beyond a billion. Wages for the period were £333million, with an average player salary of £155,000 per week.

Reading this entire article is difficult. 

23 minutes ago, Jase said:

Luiz and Willian disagree with that statement. 

Luiz was almost a necessity at the time with the transfer ban (and to be fair we made a few million out of renewing him in the end)

Willian I guess we'll never know for sure what we were prepared to offer as he never agreed to anything.