The Mourinho Thread

What bothers me is that we also forego on the CL ticket we earned last year. If we suck this year, what use was last year (besides the title-which was awesome). I can not really laugh if we would exit the CL prematurely, lose to the Arse, etc.

That is why problems need to be adressed now. Its a bias to think we should just continue. Heck, it even has a name! The Sunk Cost bias (Google it peeps) , thinking we cannot ditch Mou because of the history. It will drive us into problems and make our top players go away.

Sunk cost, in my experience the end of corporations, maybe also clubs.

Think someone flagged this up earlier in the thread, could of even been you Tomo? Fergie himself said he had to change the way Utd started the season cus Jose totally out foxed him in his first tenure, whilst that's not totally relevant to our current crisis it's something he had to address, it was indeed around that period that his team was struggling, he knew that he had to rebuild again & was given the time & patience to do so - Jose gave a list of players to the board he wanted back in April, he recognised that we needed to reinforce his squad, Utd were rewarded by backing Fergie, he didn't become a poor manager overnight & nor has Jose, of course he needs to get his shit together but he should be given wholehearted commitment from the board.

The board had 4 months, 4 KIN MONTHS to get their shit together & we end up with some late scrambled FAILED bids. Its pretty clear he isn't or should I say doesn't have the final say on transfers which to me is dangerous route to go down IMHO.

It wasn't me that flagged it up but I've read about if before, in times gone by United always use to gear up to build their way into a season then hit the top gear after new year, but after the back to back titles Fergie completely changed his pre season routine gearing up for a fast start to keep up with us, tbf to the man he always accepted challenges and never shied away from them, he was always adapting that is why he was so successful.

That could be the case, tbh I think they have hit some sort of compromise where Jose can name players and they will try to get them (Stones) and the board will still sign their youth players, where some will go into first team.

This is defiently the trickiest stage of Jose's career, I think he is at a similar stage that Fergie was at circa 03-06(despite last season's title) where people United fans included thought he lost it but he came back with a bang, similar things happening now with Jose, let's hope he makes a similar comeback.

Think someone flagged this up earlier in the thread, could of even been you Tomo? Fergie himself said he had to change the way Utd started the season cus Jose totally out foxed him in his first tenure, whilst that's not totally relevant to our current crisis it's something he had to address, it was indeed around that period that his team was struggling, he knew that he had to rebuild again & was given the time & patience to do so - Jose gave a list of players to the board he wanted back in April, he recognised that we needed to reinforce his squad, Utd were rewarded by backing Fergie, he didn't become a poor manager overnight & nor has Jose, of course he needs to get his shit together but he should be given wholehearted commitment from the board.

The board had 4 months, 4 KIN MONTHS to get their shit together & we end up with some late scrambled FAILED bids. Its pretty clear he isn't or should I say doesn't have the final say on transfers which to me is dangerous route to go down IMHO.

Mourinho has been given everything by the board. With the players he has at his disposal, he should be finishing in the top two this season and reaching at least the semi-finals of the Champions league. If anything, we've been left with a stick thin squad of players, thanks to his unwillingness to make use of his entire squad. De Bruyne, Mata, Filipe Luis all gone. Remy, a striker we signed for 10 million last season barely gets a game. Moses never even given a chance. Moses was beasting it for West Ham last night and impressed massively in pre-season but was rewarded with being loaned out. Don't blame the board, blame Jose.

Mourinho has been given everything by the board. With the players he has at his disposal, he should be finishing in the top two this season and reaching at least the semi-finals of the Champions league. If anything, we've been left with a stick thin squad of players, thanks to his unwillingness to make use of his entire squad. De Bruyne, Mata, Filipe Luis all gone. Remy, a striker we signed for 10 million last season barely gets a game. Moses never even given a chance. Moses was beasting it for West Ham last night and impressed massively in pre-season but was rewarded with being loaned out. Don't blame the board, blame Jose.

Fair point with the rest but Moses is a clear case of absence making the hear grow fonder.

Pre season doesn't mean anything else Marin will be here, and Moses has always been a mid table player (in before the table jokes) and the two chances he has hadto dine at the top table he was average (his season here) and absolutely attroutious (Liverpool), with Hazard, Pedro, Willy, Oscar here and Kennedy looking set to get a fair number of minutes, there's no room for him here.

It wasn't me that flagged it up but I've read about if before, in times gone by United always use to gear up to build their way into a season then hit the top gear after new year, but after the back to back titles Fergie completely changed his pre season routine gearing up for a fast start to keep up with us, tbf to the man he always accepted challenges and never shied away from them, he was always adapting that is why he was so successful.

That could be the case, tbh I think they have hit some sort of compromise where Jose can name players and they will try to get them (Stones) and the board will still sign their youth players, where some will go into first team.

This is defiently the trickiest stage of Jose's career, I think he is at a similar stage that Fergie was at circa 03-06(despite last season's title) where people United fans included thought he lost it but he came back with a bang, similar things happening now with Jose, let's hope he makes a similar comeback.

Not sure about the compromise mate, we seem too fixated on making a few quid nowadays, that's evident with our current policy on loan players. Not withstanding the Cech transfer where Jose vehemently stated that he wanted to weaken Arsenals squad if they wanted Cech but was dealt a double whammy by the gutless board.

Looking from the outside in, the board only started reacting when it was too late. Not sure why we seem to be complying with FFP cus City had their knuckles rapped then just splashed the cash again after a sudden relax from Pratini! Van Gaal has spent well in excess of £300m, whilst I understand we're not going to get all of Jose list, we should of got 1 quality signing this summer as a minimum.

You're spot on regards Fergie though, José has not been in this position before, its time for him to show his mettle, he's been left with a squad he wanted to strengthen, so time to show he really is the special one!

Confidence plays a massive part in football & I think tomorrows game has come at the right time for us, I hope Jose shakes things up - one good performance could kick start our season.

First of all, you obviously have not been reading my posts, I do believe I have 'blamed' Jose, you must of conviently missed that?! With that said I concur about your comment regarding Remy.

I can understand why Moses went on loan cus we signed Pedro, yet most people wanted rid of Moses last season yet now we're struggling he should be a shoe in?! Easy with hindsight isn't it, no?

We have no divine right to finish in the top 2, cannot believe you can make such a confident statement, City in my book had a far superior squad last season but it didn't help them win the league did it? It just doesn't work like that.

Moses in his 1st season at Chelsea scored more goals than Willian has done in almost 100 games for Chelsea. If Moses is a mid-table player, then ideally Willian shouldn't be Chelsea material. But he starts every game. Moses with his direct style of play is a player that could offer us a different dimension but was never given a chance. I pointed out Moses just to show the lack of fairness Mourinho shows to some players and his willingness to completely ostracize them from the squad, to the detriment of the squad. Just like with De Bruyne, Mata, Filipe Luis and Remy.

Of course, like I said, the others are fair enough (although with Remy thats only started this season, this constant Drogba was always preferred to him was a myth) but I just don't get it with Moses, he may score more goals than Willian but I'm sure there's many shit strikers that had a better goal ratio than Gudjohnsen but It don't mean they are/were better players.

He makes so many bad decisions in general play, (Willian may be a bit of a flake to say the least with the final move but he is next to flawless up until then),at times here I kept thinking he made Kalou look like an in form Cesc in terms of football brain,its not so detremental at West Ham or Stoke but at Chelsea or Liverpool it becomes a real issue.

It's not a bad thing against him, he is what he is and that's a very good mid table level footballer, many players like him took a chance to get to the top level and it didnt quite work out (Rodwell, Sinclair, Lambert) so they went back to mid table and resumed a successful career that way.

Mourinho is more of a motivator and less of a tactician - he doesn't really do anything special or innovative.

It's probably why his style of management is so effective in the short-term and less so over the long-term.

For the last year or so it does look like he's lost his edge in that regard, but the Mourinho of 04-10 and to some extent the first year and a half of his return he was brilliant in that regard.

Too many fellow top managers have been outsmarted by him for it too be a coincidence.

For the last year or so it does look like he's lost his edge in that regard, but the Mourinho of 04-10 and to some extent the first year and a half of his return he was brilliant in that regard.

Too many fellow top managers have been outsmarted by him for it too be a coincidence.

True that. There were match-days in his 1st spell when he just made these substitutions and like magic, completely changed the game in our favour.

In reality, he's failed to reinvent himself and move with the times. One thing that made Fergie so successful over such a long period was his willingness to constantly reinvent himself. To absorb new ideas and trends.

True that. There were match-days in his 1st spell when he just made these substitutions and like magic, completely changed the game in our favour.

In reality, he's failed to reinvent himself and move with the times. One thing that made Fergie so successful over such a long period was his willingness to constantly reinvent himself. To absorb new ideas and trends.

This!

Fergie was a master at changing things and taking risks.

United teams always had one 'mantra' under Fergie - attack until the last second

Pace and width were also his favourites

United had a nice footballing style and a swagger

We have none of this but have all of the ingredients :(

It even happened at the start back here, the Tottenham, Norwich and Cardiff games he turned 2 points into seven with his quick thinking and subs, its recently ish he's seemed to go all Rafa where as if the starting tactics work everything's good but when they don't (which has been the case every time this season) he doesnt seem to know how to turnthe game around.

Hopefully he can catch up soon,because like I said earlier Fergie had a similar stage but eventually snapped out of it, I still have hope Jose will do the same.

Well Pellegrini fucked it in Europe again :)

United losing too - so not all bad

In fact,it is very bad because England will lose their 4th CL spot and if Chelsea continue to play this shit,the 4th CL spot would be the only realistic spot in the end of the season.That would harm us very much