Luka Modric

DavidEU

Essien in his Prime vs Yaya Toure. That would have been some sight.

I was actually just thinking of this yesterday!

I'll be a bit bias and say Essien would've shaded it. As much for Toure's strength, Essien would've been faster and so was a bit more skillful going forward.

That, or they would've ended up breaking each other's legs!

I was actually just thinking of this yesterday!

I'll be a bit bias and say Essien would've shaded it. As much for Toure's strength, Essien would've been faster and so was a bit more skillful going forward.

That, or they would've ended up breaking each other's legs!

Definitely, I would also say Essien would shade it. More agile in his prime, better runner and had a monster shot on him.

Also, buying Modric has its own implications. Getting him will probably end any chance of Oscar being our CM, meaning he could continue stifling his potential on the right. Also if he starts on the right, it means no starting position for KDB. Sure, KDB can be a squad player at first but would he settle with that, especially as Dortmund is apparently trying to sign him.

Hey Rob - think you might be misunderstanding Modric role slightly? He's not there to score goals - he's more of a deep lying play maker, the guy that transitions from defence to attack (think Luiz without the crazy long balls) ...

Yes he doesn't score many, but when he does usually important goals (see against Utd) - and he's a tenacious little tackler in midfield. I don't think his style of play suits La Liga he's more adapted to EPL and Bundeslega IMHO.

In essence think of Mikel as a FIAT and Modric as an Aston Martin - no comparison ;)

Seriously I'd love to see him in blue :)

Disagree. fullbacks and perhaps an extremely defensive holding mid may be off the hook to score, but aside from that if the player can do his job *and* score, all the better. This idea that only strikers should score is not right as you really need the surprise effect when yours attackers are taken care of.

So, lets take players of the same position:

Yaya scores and is a lot stronger than Modric. Fabegras, Barca rotation player, is a lot better than Modric IMO and scores plenty. Modric's replacement at spurs (Dembele) doesn't score much but I reckon they've made a lot of money without losing much quality: Dembele is about the same player right now and is younger (stronger too).

I usually say being good enough on the ball is the most important thing, and it is. However, once you are good enough on the ball, and Modric certainly is, then you've got to look at other traits such as composure, aggression, long shots, etc and that's where Modric falls short compared to the alternative.

Disagree. fullbacks and perhaps an extremely defensive holding mid may be off the hook to score, but aside from that if the player can do his job *and* score, all the better. This idea that only strikers should score is not right as you really need the surprise effect when yours attackers are taken care of.

So, lets take players of the same position:

Yaya scores and is a lot stronger than Modric. Fabegras, Barca rotation player, is a lot better than Modric IMO and scores plenty. Modric's replacement at spurs (Dembele) doesn't score much but I reckon they've made a lot of money without losing much quality: Dembele is about the same player right now and is younger (stronger too).

I usually say being good enough on the ball is the most important thing, and it is. However, once you are good enough on the ball, and Modric certainly is, then you've got to look at other traits such as composure, aggression, long shots, etc and that's where Modric falls short compared to the alternative.

Wow - I'm lost for words? Have you seen Modric play? I watched him again tonight in Real Sociedad vs Real Madrid.

He was pulling ALL the strings in midfield! He creates chances - he's not a natural finisher and with a Striker, Mata, Hazard and possibly Oscar in front of him he doesn't need to be a prolific scorer!

The problem we CHELSEA have is that we don't have a DLP - we have nobody to Orchestrate the game - Modric does this and Modric, Mata and Hazard in the same team is a great prospect.

Fabregas is often played as a false Striker and is not the same player as Modric, he's more like Mata

Yaya is a good finisher - but he doesn't score that many a season (unless its against us!)

Honestly, if you believe Dembele is a better replacement for Modric then I'm lost for words... Dembele is good at best, Modric is unplayable... Ask any Spurs fan who they'd have - all would say Modric....

Modric for us IS and WILL be a great signing !!!

Wow - I'm lost for words? Have you seen Modric play? I watched him again tonight in Real Sociedad vs Real Madrid.

He was pulling ALL the strings in midfield! He creates chances - he's not a natural finisher and with a Striker, Mata, Hazard and possibly Oscar in front of him he doesn't need to be a prolific scorer!

The problem we CHELSEA have is that we don't have a DLP - we have nobody to Orchestrate the game - Modric does this and Modric, Mata and Hazard in the same team is a great prospect.

Fabregas is often played as a false Striker and is not the same player as Modric, he's more like Mata

Yaya is a good finisher - but he doesn't score that many a season (unless its against us!)

Honestly, if you believe Dembele is a better replacement for Modric then I'm lost for words... Dembele is good at best, Modric is unplayable... Ask any Spurs fan who they'd have - all would say Modric....

Modric for us IS and WILL be a great signing !!!

yeah I've watched Modric a lot... against far better sides than Real Sociedad and he's just a good player. His influence at Real and Spurs wasn't that evident was it? Have spurs done any worse without him? If he were that unplayable, Madrid would certainly not let him go.

It's fine if you rate him that highly, but I don't. He's a good player but nothing more for me.

BTW, I said replacing Modric with Dembele did not result in *much* loss of quality. Modric has better technique while Dembele is lot stronger.

yeah I've watched Modric a lot... against far better sides than Real Sociedad and he's just a good player. His influence at Real and Spurs wasn't that evident was it? Have spurs done any worse without him? If he were that unplayable, Madrid would certainly not let him go.

It's fine if you rate him that highly, but I don't. He's a good player but nothing more for me.

BTW, I said replacing Modric with Dembele did not result in *much* loss of quality. Modric has better technique while Dembele is lot stronger.

If Spurs had kept Modric they would have secured a Champions League spot this year.

Instead they cashed in and joined the Chump'ions League!

If Spurs had kept Modric they would have secured a Champions League spot this year.

Instead they cashed in and joined the Chump'ions League!

That's not really true.. Spurs struggled because they didn't have a proper striker when they needed it. I think they found a great signing in Dembele, the guy is an absolute tank in midfield and with Bale growing more and more, the need for Modric kind of nullified once they changed their way of playing. If the Adebayor that we saw play us, was the same Adebayor they had all season, they would have easily secured 3rd. Just my opinion.

I'm not discrediting Modric. If Spurs kept the same system then yes, he would've been missed. But AVB put more emphasis on Bale which then meant Sandro, eventually Holtby, with Demebele managed to hold a good partnership.

That's not really true.. Spurs struggled because they didn't have a proper striker when they needed it. I think they found a great signing in Dembele, the guy is an absolute tank in midfield and with Bale growing more and more, the need for Modric kind of nullified once they changed their way of playing. If the Adebayor that we saw play us, was the same Adebayor they had all season, they would have easily secured 3rd. Just my opinion.

I'm not discrediting Modric. If Spurs kept the same system then yes, he would've been missed. But AVB put more emphasis on Bale which then meant Sandro, eventually Holtby, with Demebele managed to hold a good partnership.

Yea I agree that it was their need of a prolific striker that let them down this season. Adebayor was horrid right up until the last few games of the season. He was better for them last year but there were other factors to why Spurs didn't cut it this year.

Modric was an animal for Spurs and remember they finished in the top 4 with him last season after his incredible influence on the team. He was their best player and his absence this season pushed Bale to step up to carrying the team.

Dembele is a very good player who I rate highly but he doesn't have the quick, incisive vision that Modric added to their team. Sandro isn't a DPL so he was never going to fill the void Mod left and Holtby hasn't settled in yet.

If Modric had stayed at Spurs with Bale and Lennon on the wings with Dembele next to Modric and an in form Adebyor then they would have been a very frightening force.

Modric would be immense for us, anyone who wouldn't want him here is deluded. The positions we need to properly strengthen is the pivot and maybe a CB. If anything the Modric signing would see an end to Marin, Benayoun, Malouda (obviously) and Piazon? KDB? We need depth. Oscar has played too many games this season as has Mata. Modric suits our new style perfectly.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You