The Mourinho Thread

Yeah Marcelo - that's the dude I was thinking of - he's always been good when I've seen him play - great shot too...

Not sure on RM defence - it is a bit shaky... I think it's a different mentality there though - he has to play attacking, as thats what the fans expect...

Yea but I never understand this with 'attacking' teams. The whole idea of attacking football is that u commit more men forward. I never understand how the attacking mentality results in teams doing basic errors such as defending set pieces.

Something feels different about this year's Jose rumours. The usual whispers are getting louder each day and more importantly, after 5 years, we have run out of quality manager options to replace him.

I think it's also because this season we're more deseprate for Jose then we ever have since he's left!

I guess the reason why we're always linked to Jose and not other Chelsea managers is because he himself's a true blue and we still love him more than any other manager

Yea but I never understand this with 'attacking' teams. The whole idea of attacking football is that u commit more men forward. I never understand how the attacking mentality results in teams doing basic errors such as defending set pieces.

Yeah when you put it like that - does seem weird!

Maybe they just think we will score more than you?

Think RM has major EGO issues - maybe the players aren't doing what's asked of them. One thing I will give Eden Hazard big credit for this year is his change in attitude towards defending - some of the RM players don't have that work ethic.

Also to be fair to Wellbeck, he's a tall strong lad and won the header well. Great finish - but can't help seeing him as Utds version of our Carlton Cole. One thing the lad does though and deserves respect, he runs his heart out for 90 minutes. You can't underestimate that - always gives the midfield an option! ;)

What's the talk of Mourinho out-done tactically? Madrid were in total control and were unlucky not to score 4-5 goals. Fabio Coentrao in particular had two chances, both of which were wonderfully saved by De Gea. Also Ronaldo wasn't far away from his second only to miss the target from close range with his head. United go lucky and were only dangerous during couple of occasions (Van Persie's miss for example)

Also they can't play as defensive and as deep when they're at Old Trafford, because it might and most certainly will backfire. It's beyond me how Jones didn't even get booked, was allright but very raw with his challanges. Same could be said about Varane who took down Evra, easily could have been a straight red (last man), credit to the referee though, kept it under control as much as needed. It's men's game, there should be some kind of physical battle allowed.

This idea that Mourinho is some tactical genius is laughable. Mourinho is more of a motivator than he is tactician.

This idea that Mourinho is some tactical genius is laughable. Mourinho is more of a motivator than he is tactician.

I'm not saying he's a genius or not, but how many teams struggled to cope with that 433 in his first couple of seasons at the Bridge? In fact how many clubs are now using that formation or variations on it?

I'm not going to say he invented it but that tactic was one of the things that won us the titles. Plus there was that beautiful moment before the Barca 2nd leg when he announced the teams in the press conference. That's a tactic of sorts and one could argue it was pretty effective in getting in the Barca players heads.

I'm not saying he's a genius or not, but how many teams struggled to cope with that 433 in his first couple of seasons at the Bridge? In fact how many clubs are now using that formation or variations on it?

I'm not going to say he invented it but that tactic was one of the things that won us the titles. Plus there was that beautiful moment before the Barca 2nd leg when he announced the teams in the press conference. That's a tactic of sorts and one could argue it was pretty effective in getting in the Barca players heads.

The Premier League was a 4-4-2 league devoid of any real tactics. Any deviation from that would look out of the ordinary. His tactics weren't brilliant in Italy and they aren't in Spain. He wins because he manages good clubs with excellent players and is able to motivate them to perform to their maximum. He's a great manager but not the tactician that people build him up to be.

Yeah when you put it like that - does seem weird!

Maybe they just think we will score more than you?

Think RM has major EGO issues - maybe the players aren't doing what's asked of them. One thing I will give Eden Hazard big credit for this year is his change in attitude towards defending - some of the RM players don't have that work ethic.

Also to be fair to Wellbeck, he's a tall strong lad and won the header well. Great finish - but can't help seeing him as Utds version of our Carlton Cole. One thing the lad does though and deserves respect, he runs his heart out for 90 minutes. You can't underestimate that - always gives the midfield an option! ;)

but he's got a dark side too................

not worth being in a spoiler because it's so damn obvious but it's DIVING

The Premier League was a 4-4-2 league devoid of any real tactics. Any deviation from that would look out of the ordinary. His tactics weren't brilliant in Italy and they aren't in Spain. He wins because he manages good clubs with excellent players and is able to motivate them to perform to their maximum. He's a great manager but not the tactician that people build him up to be.

Porto (2002–2004) Chelsea (2004–2007) Internazionale (2008–2010) Real Madrid (2010–present)

You don't win all that just because you give good half time speeches. He is a titan of a manager. One of the best if not the best out there.

His use of Etoo at Inter was both novel and mightily effective and his tactics against Barcelona were spot on. It's easy to say 'well Robbie did it', but look at Wenger and Ferguson who were both outplayed by that Barca team.

I think by the logic you're using you could diminish any coach's tactical achievements. It happens in every sport. Look at basketball where Phil Jackson has won 11 titles and has received plenty of acclaim for his tactical nous, but there's always people prepared to say 'well he had Jordan' or 'he had Shaq' or 'he had Kobe and Shaq' or 'he had Kobe'.

Mourinho's quality being questioned??? Really?

He has immence tactical ability. Every single training session he records and studies in his special book he carries with him. One of his best assests is his man management and his motivational skills, but saying he is tactically inept is crazy.

EDIT: Changed the spelling as to not offend the spelling police... @Muzchap, :D

Heh but one thing he is though and that's a WINNER ;)

My view - fuck tactical genius, I want winning football again....!!! And when we had Robben and Duff we played attractive WINNING football - I just want us to win again...

Mourinho's quality being questioned??? Really?

He has emmence tactical ability. Every single training session he records and studies in his special book he carries with him. One of his best assests is his man management and his motivational skills, but saying he is tactically inept is crazy

Hutcho - thought it was immense not emmence, think you're getting confused with eminence ;)

#SpellingPolizei :)

RT‎@DuncanCastles

A deluge of newspaper, radio and television reports this week informed us that Jose Mourinho had announced that his next job would be in the Premier League. An odd way to report a press conference exchange in which Mourinho, asked about when he would manage again in the Premier League, replied as follows.

JM: “After Real Madrid, and I love everything.”

Q. When will that be?

JM: “We will see. But I love everything and – normally, normally – it will be my next step.”

That “normally” is an important caveat that reflects the possibility of Mourinho taking up an approach to work at Paris Saint-Germain next season.

guess hes off to PSG, seems like too many hurdles to bring Mourinho back :(

His use of Etoo at Inter was both novel and mightily effective and his tactics against Barcelona were spot on. It's easy to say 'well Robbie did it', but look at Wenger and Ferguson who were both outplayed by that Barca team.

I think by the logic you're using you could diminish any coach's tactical achievements. It happens in every sport. Look at basketball where Phil Jackson has won 11 titles and has received plenty of acclaim for his tactical nous, but there's always people prepared to say 'well he had Jordan' or 'he had Shaq' or 'he had Kobe and Shaq' or 'he had Kobe'.

Any team that plays Barcelona sits deep and plays counter-attacking football. Even the games Mourinho has won against them have followed that template. Giving Mourinho credit for doing what most managers do makes little sense. In fact he got battered 5-0 the one time he tried to play a high-line against Barcelona and hasn't tried to push up against them ever since.

But you have to acknowledge Phil Jackson was fortunate enough to coach 4 of arguably the top 10-15 players in NBA history in Jordan, Pippen, Shaq and Kobe. I'd bet on any competent coach leading teams led by those players to glory (maybe not 11 championships but not too far off). Talented coach but fortunate to have managed great players.

My point is Mourinho is an excellent man manager (in doubt this season at Madrid) and motivator. Tactician? Not so much.