Mario Gómez

LDN Blue

Heh can't argue with Choulo there :)

But seriously Torres would score double Gomez in the Bayern Team :)

Fuck me even at 36 and a few stone overweight I reckon I could score 1/2 of Gomez's goals ;)

Like I said, I honestly don't want him here because I like strikers that are more complete. But the guy is one of the best poachers of his generation. His scoring record is phenomenal because it is so consistent even when he was at Stuttgart, who I think you would agree that Torres won't get 63 goals in 121 appearances with. No one else has his movement and striker's instinct to escape his marker so often and find himself in the exactly right place and time and to tap the ball in. He makes it look very easy, but isn't that what all top strikers do?

Anyway, I don't think we should even be discussing Gomez because him moving here is extremely unlikely.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I don't deny that at all, never have. It's just that we should be looking more in a ST. Drogba's goalscoring record was never exactly all that great, like if you compare with Gomez for example, but he was extremely vital for us because of physical presence upfront and having the ability to link up the play and creating chances for others, while not forgetting him banging in his fair share amount of goals too. We need somebody like that because with this current team, the players can create for the ST and score goals themselves so they need someone upfront that can be played of to do the latter as well. Maybe it's just me but I would much rather to see us being a team where we can play in different ways - short, long, direct etc - and have goals come from everywhere as opposed to just focus on creating for a goal poacher like Gomez but can't create for others. That would make us unpredictable and more of a threat to play against.

I said the exact same things a while back, but my comment was aimed at those calling him rubbish. I don't want Gomez here, but I won't be upset if we do get him.

The midfield we have now, the striker doesn't really need to be that complete or even play well half the time, just succeed in where Fernando fails and do the basics right.

Gomez would thrive with the trio behind him.

I said the exact same things a while back, but my comment was aimed at those calling him rubbish. I don't want Gomez here, but I won't be upset if we do get him.

Well, okay. Have been saying that for ages till the point I have sounded just like a broken record. Think we can do better in looking elsewhere first and spend that 25m a tad wiser.

The midfield we have now, the striker doesn't really need to be that complete or even play well half the time, just succeed in where Fernando fails and do the basics right.

Gomez would thrive with the trio behind him.

Think that's where the problem comes IMO. It's because we have become so desperate of wanting a ST that can score goals due to Torres's failure that people have let it blinded them into taking any STs that score goals. Do people really want a limited ST such as a goal poacher when an all rounder kind of ST can score you goals and do so much more than the former?

Wouldn't be that bad of a signing as people are making it out to be, if we sell Torres and bring in Gomez I wouldn't complain tbh. Gomez/Lukaku/Ba is a great strikeforce to have.

Mind you, I'd rather have Lewandowski who's going at a similar price though.

I'd rather jackson martinez then both lewandowski and gomez,It's a matter of opinions really.

Jackson Martinez as all the forwards from Oporto is really good. The issue? Oporto sell their players for their weight in gold. Martinez would be £30 M easy.

My cat would have scored that one. Even Torres goal vs Barca last year was harder to convert. One goal against an abysmal Barca team does not make you a world class striker. His goals are tap ins, only made possible by horrendous defending. A tap in is no pressure situation, anyone can score these.

Yeah, no pressure - just a UEFA Champions League semi-final.

A tap-in from two yards is better than a volley from 40 yards that hits the post and goes out. Why? Because it's a goal.

Exactly. Many focus on his goalscoring record and not looking into his overall game as well as how he would fit into here.

Gomez is a target-man; a player to hold the ball up. How often have we been crying out for Drogba to be up there instead of Torres, holding up the play? Furthermore, we need a penalty box poacher. How many times do we see people crossing into the box, or firing across the face of goal and NO-ONE is there? Gomez would be, because that's his instinct.

He'd do excellently in England, and with Chelsea in particular.

Anybody who says poaching goals in the penalty area is easy is an idiot that can kiss my indolent white ass (no offence). If it's so easy why have there been so few poachers in the last ten years? van Nistelrooy, Gómez and Inzaghi are the only players that spring to my mind.

Anybody who says poaching goals in the penalty area is easy is an idiot that can kiss my indolent white ass (no offence). If it's so easy why have there been so few poachers in the last ten years? van Nistelrooy, Gómez and Inzaghi are the only players that spring to my mind.

Excellent post. Add Hernandez on to that list (I genuinely think he is a brilliant, brilliant striker) as well. There are great goalscorers and scorers of great goals. At the end of the day, a goal is a goal, so I would rather take 30 Gomez-style tap-ins than 10 Lampard thunderbolts over the course of the season.

Only once has this hulking behemoth failed to score fourteen or more goals in a season. And that season was his very first; he notched eight.

A great footballer he is not, a great goalscorer he is.

Gomez is good at scoring. And this games is about scoring. Thing is we need a striker that helps the wingers get into spots also, not just a poacher. If we need a poacher than Torres is better. But seemingly we need either Lewandowski or Jackson Martinez or Cavani to fit in and make our squad a wonder.

Gomez is a target-man; a player to hold the ball up. How often have we been crying out for Drogba to be up there instead of Torres, holding up the play? Furthermore, we need a penalty box poacher. How many times do we see people crossing into the box, or firing across the face of goal and NO-ONE is there? Gomez would be, because that's his instinct.

He'd do excellently in England, and with Chelsea in particular.

Gomez a target man? He's nothing more than a goal poacher. No doubt he gets you the goals but he doesn't offer anything like Drogba apart from scoring. His constant lack of touches (despite his goals) in games show that. Think we can do better by looking elsewhere first and get somebody like Drogba can hold/link up the play and all that and equally get you the goals as well.

Gomez is exactly what we need, some one who can finish Mazacar's good work. He knows where to be at the right time, which is a skill in itself. We don't need a player who can do the miraculous up forward, we need a goal scorer.

Gomez a target man? He's nothing more than a goal poacher. No doubt he gets you the goals but he doesn't offer anything like Drogba apart from scoring. His constant lack of touches (despite his goals) in games show that. Think we can do better by looking elsewhere first and get somebody like Drogba can hold/link up the play and all that and equally get you the goals as well.

Gómez made five passes against Barça. But he did score...

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You