Mario Gómez

LDN Blue

I don't know why all of you hate Gomez, this guy is beast. Scores a lot of goals every season.

His goalscoring record paper over the fact that he is a very limited player. The fact that Mandzukic - an all around better player but poorer goalscoring record - has been preferred over Gomez despite his goalscoring exploits/record & after returning from injury tells you a lot how Bayern view him.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His goalscoring record paper over the fact that he is a very limited player. The fact that Mandzukic - an all around better player but poorer goalscoring record - has been preferred over Gomez despite his goalscoring exploits/record & after returning from injury tells you a lot how Bayern view him.

Mandzukic has scored a lot of goals but I don't think that is because they feel Gomez is inferior to him. It is the fact that Madzukic deserves a starting berth on merit and not reputation. If they were to drop Mandzukic, what kind of message would that send out?

Mandzukic has scored a lot of goals but I don't think that is because they feel Gomez is inferior to him.

Mandzukic does scores a number of goals but it's not a lot if you compare with the goals that Gomez has scored for Bayern last season.

It is the fact that Madzukic deserves a starting berth on merit and not reputation. If they were to drop Mandzukic, what kind of message would that send out?

Partly that and partly also the fact Mandzukic simply offers more to Bayern compare to Gomez simply because of his much better work off the ball, holding the ball, linking up the play etc.

It is not just mediocre teams he scores against though is it? He scored a hatrick last season against Napoli, 2 against City and also scored against Real Mdrid. Just wanted to end that notion that he does not score against big teams.

It is not just mediocre teams he scores against though is it? He scored a hatrick last season against Napoli, 2 against City and also scored against Real Mdrid. Just wanted to end that notion that he does not score against big teams.

Yep. He's like a far better version of Torres - who scores sporadically vs the mediocre teams and once a season vs the big teams.

As said, he's the player who'll wrap up the 3 points vs. the Wigans, Southamptons & West Hams of this world, but more than likely be a ghost vs. the big teams.

I'd take him for £15m or under (not idea if that's likely or not) if he isn't going to be relied upon being our main striker - which he probably would be. So, eh.

Yep. He's like a far better version of Torres - who scores sporadically vs the mediocre teams and once a season vs the big teams.

Yes and regardless of his critics he scored 45 goals for his club I think last season and pretty much every season where he is fully fit he has hit over 30 goals which is fantastic.

Would rather get a ST who can score against the big teams and small teams and create for others. Furthermore, buying a limited ST like Gomez would affect the way we play too because then, it will all center around creating chances for the ST and only the ST to score.

Would rather get a ST who can score against the big teams and small teams and create for others. Furthermore, buying a limited ST like Gomez would affect the way we play too because then, it will all center around creating chances for the ST and only the ST to score.

Not really. But what's so bad about the st scoring? i like the way goals are distributed around the team, but there are games where the striker just gets nothing to work with and that's not good. We need to be able to get our strikers scoring regularly, and if any others can add goals then great.

As said, he's the player who'll wrap up the 3 points vs. the Wigans, Southamptons & West Hams of this world, but more than likely be a ghost vs. the big teams.

I'd take him for £15m or under (not idea if that's likely or not) if he isn't going to be relied upon being our main striker - which he probably would be. So, eh.

spot on, guys. There is a reason, why Bayern play Mario Mandzukic vs the big teams and not Gomez. For ages strikers have defined themselves only about their scoring, esp from poaching. Some have developed extraordinary finishing abilities. But I do not think Gomez would affect our play so much. A striker who has a good linkeup often misses in the box. Gomez surely does not have that problem. he would offer less for the combinations but he would not force us to play a different way. he would simply be there and convert. Against the smaller teams where we usually are wasteful this would be great, but if we want to buy s.o. who is our main man in the big matches we have to look further.

Also I think it would not even make much difference putting Lampard as a striker or Gomez. Both rely on their finishing and positioning. Gomez is maybe a bit taller and faster, but that's it.

At least we know we'd put the double over teams like QPR with Gomez around.

i dont entirely get this gomez dosent score in big games thing. he scored vs madrid in last years semi , and has scored goals against man city and dortmund. he scored 13 champions league goals last season. sure he flopped against us in the final but thats a good thing.

Not really. But what's so bad about the st scoring? i like the way goals are distributed around the team, but there are games where the striker just gets nothing to work with and that's not good. We need to be able to get our strikers scoring regularly, and if any others can add goals then great.

At least we know we'd put the double over teams like QPR with Gomez around.

I know we are desperately looking for a striker who can solve our scoring problems but don't think we should be targeting a one dimensional striker like Gomez. He may score against the lesser teams but a more all rounder kind of striker could easily do that as well and against the big teams too! And if he's isn't scoring the goals, at least he will create for others, unlike the one dimensional goal poacher like Gomez. Furthermore, getting an all round striker would offer us more variations in our play through link up plays etc as opposed to just create chances for the ST and does nothing else. And the players such as Oscar, Mata, Hazard, Moses, Ramires and possibly Schurrle are not just goal creators but also goalscorers themselves. Because of this, we need to have ST who can score themselves but also equally capable of creating for others to do so. Would be so so much better to have a team where the goalscoring exploits come from everywhere(like this season perhaps) rather than just rely on the ST and hope the others pop in a few too. Versatility and adapability >>> One dimensional ST!

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You