Graham Potter Thread

ZAPHOD2319

1 hour ago, lucio said:

Thoroughly out of his depth. He’s not a top class manager and never will be. 

I don't understand your direction tbh I don't get what you want, you are asking for improvement of management but not willing for managers to do Thier job, since he's arrived he's lost 1 game, so an improvement is 1 less loss to what we already have. What you should actually be saying is the team is out of its depth, because even if we signed pep 95% of this team would be sold under him, just like I imagine it will be with potter.

4 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

I don't understand your direction tbh I don't get what you want, you are asking for improvement of management but not willing for managers to do Thier job, since he's arrived he's lost 1 game, so an improvement is 1 less loss to what we already have. What you should actually be saying is the team is out of its depth, because even if we signed pep 95% of this team would be sold under him, just like I imagine it will be with potter.

Perhaps not play wingers as wingbacks and leave them so high up the pitch? He’s done this against Villa, Brentford and Salzburg and the signs were there. Brighton now fully exploited it. 

14 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Perhaps not play wingers as wingbacks and leave them so high up the pitch? He’s done this against Villa, Brentford and Salzburg and the signs were there. Brighton now fully exploited it. 

Your forgetting the fact we don't have replacements so he has to do something or even try, azpi is past it cucu is covering KK and chilwell clearly isn't full fitness and needs rest as well as game time. We have no James Fofana KK kante, he's working with what he has.

Edited by YorkshireBlue

1 minute ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Your forgetting the fact we don't have replacements so he has to do something or even try, azpi is past it cucu is covering KK and chilwell clearly isn't full fitness and needs rest as well as game time.

Fitness? Did Azpilicueta or Chilwell play vs Salzburg? 

17 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Fitness? Did Azpilicueta or Chilwell play vs Salzburg? 

Think they both come on, but with the amount of games we have to play we can't just stick to then 2 every game, you have to gamble 

Potter is not the best manager. He even isn't as good as Tuchel. But that doesn't change the fact that he inherited worse squad than the one he left behind. Tuchel had worse squad than half of the league after that transfer window. Nobody can convince me he wanted those pensioners we signed.

Instead of improving, not only because of us, we weakened our team. Last window and this one almost every signing served to degrade already average team. Window prior wasn't success either. We signed 6 players and now want 4 out. Tuchel did wonder with it and messed with heads of recruitment team and the players. They all got the illusion that they were much better team than they actually were.

Why they play Sterling and Pulisic at wing back? To compensate what James and pre injury Chilwell did for us. We need that in this stupid back five system. Why we play back five system? Because our defenders are too old and our central midfielders can't defend or attack.

This team is  eighth at best. 

I don't think anyone should be surprised. But there's one positive thing is that Brighton are good thanks in part to the work done by potter and team. 

I think Todd will call this season a lost bit expect improvement next. 

7 hours ago, Hermione said:

Can't even come up with a good plan against a team he should know everything about, complete shambles. Average, average, average but I don't blame him for taking the chance at a bigger club, the fault for all this is Boehly and his idiocy to sack Tuchel because he wasn't having his Ronaldo merch trash.

Almost like Tuchel wasn't in charge when this same team put up a rubbish performance against Zagreb in the UCL and then the same team went to Leeds and got humiliated for 90 minutes and to add the cherry on top we even lost to Southampton. 

This team needs serious changes if we want to stay in the top 4 in the coming seasons as United will definitely overtake us and Newcastle look to be on the verge of becoming a top 6 side.  

Even if Potter was sacked tomorrow, the next manager wouldn't stop us getting owned by a good counter-attack.  

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

And the point of changing managers was to avoid matches like Leeds again, yet it's the same shit so the question is why was Tuchel sacked if his replacement is serving the same trash as him, I'll tell you why because one didn't put up with Todd's bullshit of signing players based on the number of shirts they sell and the other is a yes man.

Some of you need to realize that most of us we're willing to give Tuchel the whole season even if it meant us having a bad season but if he was replaced, it's only normal we demand Potter get Top 4 and have us play better football why else did get Tuchel sacked if his replacement serves as little to no improvements over him.

Why would Tuchel get a free pass for a bad season but the new manager gets no time to try and improve the squad with players that he wants?   Are we giving Tuchel that time because he won us the UCL because his league form was no different to Lampard's last season in charge. 

Tuchel's marquee signing who was given 300k a week is arguably our worst player this season.   His other marquee signing was allowed to walk from the club on a loan back to his beloved Inter Milan for 7 million (after we shelled out 90 million to get him here).   

If we wanted a short term fix to come and paper over the cracks and have us in the top 4 this season, there were plenty of 'experienced' managers available, I like the fact that Boehly & co went with a young manager.   It's going to be a tough season for alot of fans on this forum as this will not be the last game where we get thrashed by 3-4 goals.   Expectations are one thing but it's crazy to expect Potter to wave his wand and fix our midfield problems instantly, especially when our best midfielder is out till February with a bad injury, our other midfielder is basically carrying a knee issue into the world cup as he doesn't want to miss out and there is every chance that Reece may not be back to full fitness for a while.   

I'm fully expecting another Lampard-like season where our attackers can find some form, we may just scrape 4th place but nothing more than that.

17 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Also I doubt he even wanted Lukaku, people need to stop saying this. If he wanted Lukaku he wouldn't look to get rid of him so fast, that was most likely Marina's fault.

Even if that was true he lost the "he's not my player" tax when he sucked him off repeatedly after arrival and played him constantly for 90 minutes even after it became clear it wasn't working.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/tuchel-excited-by--perfect-addition--lukaku#:~:text='We're very happy to,us and an excellent addition.

If he genuinely didn't believe those words and felt pressure to constantly play him, then wouldn't he then fall into the "yes man" category to which you're saying he isn't?

Edited by Tomo

7 minutes ago, Hermione said:

What was he supposed to do aside of trying him and make use of him? 

Not bullshit the entire fanbase and toe the party line?

But I don't think that was the case, Tuchel is a great coach but his one big weakness is the market and unfortuently it came to fruition and then some in this case.

5 hours ago, Hermione said:

I think Tuchel really wanted a striker and Marina came up with this donkey as the only available target and Thomas being afraid we might end up again with no striker and have the same scoring issues said okay lets go for it. I absolutely refuse to believe Tuchel wanted the donkey as first target but maybe you're right and he did, even Drogba managed to humiliate himself in front of the world despite all his pedigree by bigging this donkey up.

I love how everything is not Tuchel's fault...even though he was in charge when we had some absolutely shocking transfer windows which dropped our overall squad quality from top 4 to Europa League. 

No striker would have been better than bringing in Lukaku, even United fans and pundits were stunned when they heard that Chelsea was about to shell out 90 million for the same striker they sold for being bang average. 

Anyway, enough about Tuchel, I'm sure he'll go on to another top level European side, get some short term success, fall out with big name players/board and then be told to go again (just like Dortmund, PSG, Chelsea)....feels like a pattern is emerging, he's on route to be the next Mourinho at this rate!

22 hours ago, Tomo said:

Not bullshit the entire fanbase and toe the party line?

But I don't think that was the case, Tuchel is a great coach but his one big weakness is the market and unfortuently it came to fruition and then some in this case.

I honestly do not know how much was his doing. I don't know if he's bad for being absent in those decisions, for giving bad advice, or finally for demanding bad players.

16 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

I love how everything is not Tuchel's fault...even though he was in charge when we had some absolutely shocking transfer windows which dropped our overall squad quality from top 4 to Europa League. 

No striker would have been better than bringing in Lukaku, even United fans and pundits were stunned when they heard that Chelsea was about to shell out 90 million for the same striker they sold for being bang average. 

Anyway, enough about Tuchel, I'm sure he'll go on to another top level European side, get some short term success, fall out with big name players/board and then be told to go again (just like Dortmund, PSG, Chelsea)....feels like a pattern is emerging, he's on route to be the next Mourinho at this rate!

Tuchel, being the boss, was responsible for both success and failure. I personally think he had more of the former. Still, Chelsea isn't a club that tolerates a bad season, which may put us in disadvantage in my view. 

Your point about Lukaku is a fair one, but once again I don't know how much that was on Tuchel. It's a big club and there are a lot of people making decisions with a lot of money in the mix. The fact that the manager calls a player to convince him to join isn't enough proof in my book. That's part of their job... besides the club should/could also say "no."

Agree that we will see what he does in the future, but personally, I don't think handling transfer market is the manager's most important quality. It should be mostly with the club especially clubs who do NOT hold to managers for long. 😉 So, while I can totally see Ferguson before, Klopp now, and esp Pep being given a lot of power at the club, I hardly believe it's the same at Chelsea with managers coming and going every other year; they hardly ever work with a squad they've built.

Edited by robsblubot

Tuchel was a good coach, but he was always bad with transfer. 

I still say that Brighton have been this good for all the good work done with Potter and team. 

I will wait till next season to really judge Potter. 

This season is a pass for me, will not bother being annoyed or anything. 

On 29/10/2022 at 20:01, Reddish-Blue said:

Why would Tuchel get a free pass for a bad season but the new manager gets no time to try and improve the squad with players that he wants?   Are we giving Tuchel that time because he won us the UCL because his league form was no different to Lampard's last season in charge. 

Because like it or not Tuchel won and won big. That's called credit for having delivered the highest honors. klopp got that when he lost his WC CB and had a terrible season. Pep gets that for his inability to deliver at CL. The new manager has not won a thing and his signing alone raised questions as to what he did to deserve the job.

I understand the point of league form, but Guardiola loses sleep even though he wins the league every season. 

13 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Because like it or not Tuchel won and won big. That's called credit for having delivered the highest honors. klopp got that when he lost his WC CB and had a terrible season. Pep gets that for his inability to deliver at CL. The new manager has not won a thing and his signing alone raised questions as to what he did to deserve the job.

I understand the point of league form, but Guardiola loses sleep even though he wins the league every season. 

He was given a team half way through the season and managed to motivate them to get over the finishing line, not sure how that is 'winning big'.   Quite similar to what Di Matteo achieved with the club, got us over the line against Barcelona and Bayern Munich in that famous UCL season.   The last manager who won 'big' with us was the Special One. 

Klopp can do what he wants at Liverpool now, he hasn't finished lower than 4th in the PL since his first season at the club, broke their PL title curse. 

It's laughable that your comparing the achievements of Pep & Klopp who have built up credit over multiple seasons with their clubs to Tuchel.   Pep & Klopp have had their outbursts to the media over the years but they didn't really fight with their owners whereas Tuchel has a history of falling out with the board (Dortmund, PSG fell out with the sporting director, Chelsea fell out with the ownership group).