Graham Potter Thread

ZAPHOD2319

I agree because recruitment with Tuchel was taking us nowhere. Remined me a bit like Conte. 

Short term manager good, but building something for longer term not good. 

That is what has separated Pep and Klopp from the other PL managers, they have build something for the future and with their football idea. 

5 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

He was given a team half way through the season and managed to motivate them to get over the finishing line, not sure how that is 'winning big'.   Quite similar to what Di Matteo achieved with the club, got us over the line against Barcelona and Bayern Munich in that famous UCL season.   The last manager who won 'big' with us was the Special One. 

Klopp can do what he wants at Liverpool now, he hasn't finished lower than 4th in the PL since his first season at the club, broke their PL title curse. 

It's laughable that your comparing the achievements of Pep & Klopp who have built up credit over multiple seasons with their clubs to Tuchel.   Pep & Klopp have had their outbursts to the media over the years but they didn't really fight with their owners whereas Tuchel has a history of falling out with the board (Dortmund, PSG fell out with the sporting director, Chelsea fell out with the ownership group). 

And I think you did just about the same when comparing Di Matteo and Tuchel. 😉

I have no way of knowing how well Tuchel did behind the scenes and rather not speculate. I feel the club may have reasons for the sacking, but what I saw on the pitch made sense to me. Potter signing still makes absolutely no sense to me though.

14 hours ago, robsblubot said:

And I think you did just about the same when comparing Di Matteo and Tuchel. 😉

I have no way of knowing how well Tuchel did behind the scenes and rather not speculate. I feel the club may have reasons for the sacking, but what I saw on the pitch made sense to me. Potter signing still makes absolutely no sense to me though.

The problem is, it stopped making sense on the pitch from pre-season to the start of this season.  Players were just jogging around the pitch in those early games and it looked like a change was needed as the trend was concerning (1 point in the UCL after 2 matchdays, 2 horrible losses against teams that we shouldn't be losing against in the league - Leeds, Southampton).

I was a fan of Tuchel but I feel he never really recovered from losing Rudiger.  

6 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

The problem is, it stopped making sense on the pitch from pre-season to the start of this season.  Players were just jogging around the pitch in those early games and it looked like a change was needed as the trend was concerning (1 point in the UCL after 2 matchdays, 2 horrible losses against teams that we shouldn't be losing against in the league - Leeds, Southampton).

I was a fan of Tuchel but I feel he never really recovered from losing Rudiger.  

Agreed and tbh not getting a proper replacement was a failure as a club -- plenty of time for that too.

Now here's the concern I have: with the power shift towards players these days, the move of sacking a demanding manager like Tuchel (who likes high press) may have empowered players even more. I'm not sure Potter is the guy who can regain their trust.

14 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Agreed and tbh not getting a proper replacement was a failure as a club -- plenty of time for that too.

Now here's the concern I have: with the power shift towards players these days, the move of sacking a demanding manager like Tuchel (who likes high press) may have empowered players even more. I'm not sure Potter is the guy who can regain their trust.

Feel like the end of season transfer window will be huge in deciding where the club is headed (e.g. a bit of stability and retaining our UCL spot or sliding down to a top 8 place).   There shouldn't be anymore excuses for the new owners as they've invested in some quality footballing minds from the likes of City & Southampton. 

I'm not sure if Potter needs to regain trust, we've done alright considering the circumstances (Kante out long-term, Reece out, Fofana out, Kovacic carrying an injury), but I do feel we need to figure out what to do with our attack that is so inconsistent in front of goal.  Havertz, Pulisic, Ziyech all have question marks over their ability to either create goals or score goals...

On 04/11/2022 at 15:14, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Lets be honest, its took City how long to have things in place for Pep? 3/4 years? And thats for Pep who is a world class manager/the best manager at the moment.

Its going to take significantly longer for most clubs regardless of managers, never mind Graham Potter - to get us anything close to City because they’ve had everything in place for years.

If anything, Tuchel was the man to give this infrastructure and time to. 6 finals of which he won 3 in 2 years is as good as it gets for most managers. And in the 3 we lost, 2 on penalties and 1 by a long shot goal.

The only realistic thing that will really help us close the gap sooner is Pep leaving City because they wont get anybody who is as world class as Pep for that group of players.

Lets be realistic - We won’t be catching City with Graham Potter either - I am sorry to say but he just doesn’t have enough about him to propel us closer like TT did. And even then, is Todd Boehly really going to get everything in place correct the first time around? I doubt it. He’s new to football. So there will be mistakes (more mistakes).

4 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Lets be honest, its took City how long to have things in place for Pep? 3/4 years? And thats for Pep who is a world class manager/the best manager at the moment.

Its going to take significantly longer for most clubs regardless of managers, never mind Graham Potter - to get us anything close to City because they’ve had everything in place for years.

If anything, Tuchel was the man to give this infrastructure and time to. 6 finals of which he won 3 in 2 years is as good as it gets for most managers. And in the 3 we lost, 2 on penalties and 1 by a long shot goal.

The only realistic thing that will really help us close the gap sooner is Pep leaving City because they wont get anybody who is as world class as Pep for that group of players.

Lets be realistic - We won’t be catching City with Graham Potter either - I am sorry to say but he just doesn’t have enough about him to propel us closer like TT did. And even then, is Todd Boehly really going to get everything in place correct the first time around? I doubt it. He’s new to football. So there will be mistakes (more mistakes).

Were we actually that close to City with Tuchel at the helm?   Maybe tactically, but from an overall league perspective, we haven't been anywhere near them since Conte departed the club. 

Conte had to replace Matic with Bakayoyo in midfield and that's where the issues started.   He's currently got one midfielder who was discarded by Southampton as surplus to requirements and another who was let go by Juventus and he's somehow got that team in the mix for top 4.  

it's almost like alot of fans have Tuchel tinted glasses on when they talk about him, it's like our general performance in the league and the rubbish football we were serving up last season has been forgotten about and all we want to do is highlight his amazing cup runs which led to 1 major trophy.  

People actually wanted Tuchel for the long term with the poor transfer decisions he was making?   Interesting how his longest stint in management is still Mainz (180+ games), with Dortmund, PSG and Chelsea, it was 3 seasons or less. 

10 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

It took City one year under Pep. 1 season he lost the league to Conte but from the very next year, they began monopolising the league. They came to Stamford Bridge and played a league winning side off the park.

Tuchel to Potter has to be one of the biggest managerial downgrades in modern football history. And it was all self inflicted.

This clueless clown needs to go.🤡 Horrible way for Boehly to start his era. Just embarrassing. 

7 minutes ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

Tuchel to Potter has to be one of the biggest managerial downgrades in modern football history. And it was all self inflicted.

This clueless clown needs to go.🤡 Horrible way for Boehly to start his era. Just embarrassing. 

People have short memory how shit our football were under Tuchel, past his purple patch here.

6 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

People have short memory how shit our football were under Tuchel, past his purple patch here.

Agreed. 

Tuchel looking a lot more attractive now not just because we are losing, but because Tuchel had the honesty to call it out as it is. Players are shit. 

But someone made this appointment. It must have made sense at the time! But nothing has changed. We haven't changed we're just bouncing around where we are..its a shame and guess for him to because he was doing better with Brighton.

Maybe something will click but seems so unlikely.. bit of a waste of time really

Potter is the worst Chelsea manager we've had in several years. He doesn't have the capacity to turn things around and is a massive downgrade from Tuchel. We'll finish 6th this season and worse next year, if we don't sack him now we can be looking at a Mourinho 2015/16 season. 

I don't know who Boehly's advisors are but this is a terrible way to start his era at the club

i just dont see a good future for Potter at Chelsea, i would love to be proven wrong but i just don’t see it, maybe because i’m incensed at this club atm. The players let Tuchel down really bad, from Tuchel to Potter is a big downgrade. Boehly fucked up