Graham Potter Thread

ZAPHOD2319

16 minutes ago, Milan said:

The ultra negative approach is the one thing that frustrates me. To hell with the result. But the performance was an absolute disgrace.

Maybe agree to disagree, but I don't see how his approach was ultra negative.

Not when we match them on the pitch in term of energy and aggression.

To me, ultra negative is what Conte did with us playing against City in the Etihad in his last season, doing nothing but ball watching.

Potter has been making adjustments in the game right from the first half with Kovacic. If that isn't the sign of a proactive manager then I don't know what is. 

Like @ZAPHOD2319 mentioned,  one of the subs even had an impact. 

I'm not sure what more he could have done with personnel we have available., without throwing the match away.

Our back 4 needs protection, and if he had gone for a more gung-ho approach, I am sure we would have punished by United. 

Pointless blaming on manager when we have squad full of untalented players unable to do basic. Strikers can't score, midfielders can't pass . Trying to get best out of midtable squad will have them look incompetent and  fired time after time. And we will continue to sign past it players  and expect improvement. When was the last time we improved defense, midfield, attack?  Auba,  Sterling and Lukaku aren't improvements.  It has gone beyond absurd our transfer policy.

Edited by laura90

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

Zero improvements over Tuchel only difference is a few players showing up again after falling out with Tuchel.

And the fact he hasn't lost? And only concerned once? Compared to negative goal difference and bottom half of the table lol 😹

13 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

And the fact he hasn't lost? And only concerned once? Compared to negative goal difference and bottom half of the table lol 😹

When you compare they lows what about their highs? Tuchel's was CL Potter's will be 5th place? Tuchel turned this midtable side to champions and convinced them they were better than they actually were.  Injuries, loss of best players in January (Rudiger And AC) and everything that followed got the worst of them. Reality hit hard and they turned against manager.

We will never now how football Tuchel would play if he had capable players on his disposal. But what do  we know  Potter will not come close with his own achievements.

We couldn't get any player that was our first choice. That is telling . We were run extremely badly. At some point it catches up with you.

But hey, there is always new manager around the corner.

33 minutes ago, laura90 said:

When you compare they lows what about their highs? Tuchel's was CL Potter's will be 5th place? Tuchel turned this midtable side to champions and convinced them they were better than they actually were.  Injuries, loss of best players in January (Rudiger And AC) and everything that followed got the worst of them. Reality hit hard and they turned against manager.

We will never now how football Tuchel would play if he had capable players on his disposal. But what do  we know  Potter will not come close with his own achievements.

We couldn't get any player that was our first choice. That is telling . We were run extremely badly. At some point it catches up with you.

But hey, there is always new manager around the corner.

Can't compare the two ATM as potter hasn't had the same time as TT. Time will definitely tell.

I am 1000% behind Potter.

I am 1000% sick of the dregs we have on the team in far too many positions.

Seeing Azpi lumber about the pitch gives me fever dreams of autocannibalism. Insane we did not buy a decent backup RB like Mæhle, or a good young CB who is more than decent at RB, like Simakan.

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

I am 1000% behind Potter.

I am 1000% sick of the dregs we have on the team in far too many positions.

Seeing Azpi lumber about the pitch gives me fever dreams of autocannibalism. Insane we did not buy a decent backup RB like Mæhle, or a good young CB who is more than decent at RB, like Simakan.

Azpi should never play again , he’s beyond finished 

Chalobah did not make any obvious mistake (if you do not consider passing a skill a CB requires), his passing was really poor though. So, United high pressure can only work when passing from the back is poor. If our CBs can pass through their high press, then the ball gets to attack and then we get time on the ball, which evidently alleviates the pressure.

I disagree the issue is Azpi, or the "old guard". I'm not saying they can't be improved upon-almost any player can, but for me the worst players on this particular team are BY FAR the new hires: Cucurella, Auba, and Koulibaly. Cucurella so far has been Bakayoko level of shit... like I'm not sure he can play football. Once again I will throw Chalobah in the mix just to get quotes. Chalobah is physical, athletic, a powerful player and that's good enough for the Premiere League for sure, but it sure isn't good enough for a top4 club in the EPL. So, either he learns to play football real quick, like passing the football, or he will follow Zouma to wherever the fuck he is now (I said very much the same thing about Zouma before btw).

I'm still hoping Sterling is going to gel in and deliver the good once the ball gets to attack in a timely manner-way too fucking slow right now.

The honorary mention here has to go to Pulisic: he was shit under Tuchel and is showing his consistency by being shit under the new manager. Some players just disappoint and will never reach their once sought potential. You get used to it.

None of this is on Potter, but so far I'm not one bit impressed by his choices. It's way too soon, so he needs time to fully grok the squad and then get his ideas through. It remains to be seen whether he has the clout to do just that.

8 hours ago, Vesper said:

Fofana .

8 hours ago, milka said:

Fofana .

Fofana is not a proven RB option, plus I was always against that buy as well

he is damaged goods in my book

we were crazy to drop that type of money on him without at least 1 full healthy year post injury

Another thing that hurts us is all the backwards passes that is ingrained in our midfielders. Yes it is necessary sometimes, but my God it is just never ending. I do not really see that as a part of Potter ball, but old habits die hard. I think as he builds his midfield, that will change.

3 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Another thing that hurts us is all the backwards passes that is ingrained in our midfielders. Yes it is necessary sometimes, but my God it is just never ending. I do not really see that as a part of Potter ball, but old habits die hard. I think as he builds his midfield, that will change.

Urghh that.. and then it leads to a goal and everything seems surprised as to why.