Chelsea 2-1 Leicester

Jase

1 minute ago, DDA said:

If you can't see the difference in how our defence plays under pressure with Mendy in goal in comparison to Kepa.. cool but I can. Kepa is nowhere near as good as Mendy with his feet. 

and pretty much night and day claiming crosses (or any high ball inside the box) due to his height and reach. It all plays a part.

hace 13 minutos, DDA dijo:

If you can't see the difference in how our defence plays under pressure with Mendy in goal in comparison to Kepa.. cool but I can. Kepa is nowhere near as good as Mendy with his feet. 

Have to disagree on that.

Whilst Mendy has improved his distribution a lot after initially looking a bit iffy at times under pressure earlier in the season, the only thing Kepa has that is better than Mendy is probably his distribution. Still think that was a big reason why we signed him in the first place, in La Liga he was a decent GK but his composure and distribution with the ball was very good and obviously Sarri being Sarri that helps his football.

Suppose no point being good at distribution if your not as good at saving things.

I dont think the defence v Arsenal or both games Leicester really looked any different. Honestly. I mean we could have played Hilario in net for all 3 games and it wouldn’t have made a difference in regards to how the defence looked for me, I just think we are well drilled as a back 3/5. We didn’t concede many big chances in either games. Mendy obviously more commanding but we were solid again bar one stupid collection of mistakes and a shot maybe if hes down quicker he saves. No clean sheet again is frustrating. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Have to disagree on that.

Whilst Mendy has improved his distribution a lot after initially looking a bit iffy at times under pressure earlier in the season, the only thing Kepa has that is better than Mendy is probably his distribution. Still think that was a big reason why we signed him in the first place, in La Liga he was a decent GK but his composure and distribution with the ball was very good and obviously Sarri being Sarri that helps his football.

Suppose no point being good at distribution if your not as good at saving things.

I dont think the defence v Arsenal or both games Leicester really looked any different. Honestly. I mean we could have played Hilario in net for all 3 games and it wouldn’t have made a difference in regards to how the defence looked for me, I just think we are well drilled as a back 3/5. We didn’t concede many big chances in either games. Mendy obviously more commanding but we were solid again bar one stupid collection of mistakes and a shot maybe if hes down quicker he saves. No clean sheet again is frustrating. 

Sorry bro but Kepas distribution is overrated and to be honest not rated by many. You're right he was brought in with that being one of the main reasons.. but his ball distribution is pretty bang average. Mendy was iffy at first but now... he plays cute little pases through the 1st wave of the press which allows the CMs to play a 1 or 2 touch pass round the corner into the space which our pacey forwards attack. Its very effective. Kepa is too slow on the ball.. and when he does kick it... it's 9 times out of 10 up the pitch for a 50/50 challenge. 

3 hours ago, DDA said:

I don't even hate Kepa but he doesn't ensure the same confidence I nthe defence.

The Kepa fanboys are slowly becoming as bad as the Torres ones. 

Where was the same energy for Ross Turnbull?

hace 22 minutos, Tomo dijo:

The Kepa fanboys are slowly becoming as bad as the Torres ones. 

Where was the same energy for Ross Turnbull?

Theres being “fan boys” then theres just pointing out the oblivious double standards when he does something or doesn’t do something its 10 x worse. Whatever way anyone feels about Kepa fair enough but its not just him, its been in the past with a lot of players. It seems to be a routine that every few years its player X, Y or Z and if it were warranted a lot its fine but this season especially not so much. 

Aye he is not good enough to he our number 1 granted, clear to see nobody disputing it and for 70m, huge wages being on the bench isn’t exactly good for the club or for his career if hes ambitious which yous think mist of these pro footballers should be but if he was in goal tonight and we conceded the exact same goal what do you think the forums reaction would of been? I am curious to think if you do or don’t think a huge majority of people would of said he should of saved it? In fact I am almost certain folk would be saying he should of saved it.

Which is why I don’t think its unfair to say Mendy could of done better with the goal tonight either, no? Because on the countless viewings of the goal I have seen I don’t think its entirely implausible that if he is down a bit quicker he keeps it out, very easily. Not an obvious howler and he’s a big bloke but some of the saves hes made in the CL etc you’d of thought he could save that no?

hace 1 hora, DDA dijo:

Sorry bro but Kepas distribution is overrated and to be honest not rated by many. You're right he was brought in with that being one of the main reasons.. but his ball distribution is pretty bang average. Mendy was iffy at first but now... he plays cute little pases through the 1st wave of the press which allows the CMs to play a 1 or 2 touch pass round the corner into the space which our pacey forwards attack. Its very effective. Kepa is too slow on the ball.. and when he does kick it... it's 9 times out of 10 up the pitch for a 50/50 challenge. 

Watch Kepa under Sarri and see his distribution. All I am saying. Best thing about him bar his dodgy/bold refusing to be subbed in a cup final moment 😂

Mendys improved a lot and thankfully as well because its a big way of Tuchels teams playing out but to say Kepa’s distribution is overrated now is just well suppose as stated above usual. Granted distribution doesn’t mean anything as hes not good enough as a big clubs number 1 GK...

Big part of the improvement in Mendy’s distribution is definitely down to coaching but also the options we have now building out too under Tuchel. We always have the 3 CBs which attracts teams up to press and eventually they try to then we always have the numerical advantage with Jorginho/Kovacic tending to drop in to those deeper central areas also which creates the options to play out. Similar with Sarri we always had good movement and rotations to get the ball out, which is one thing I liked about watching us with him although in attack we needed different players to suit his style more.

49 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Theres being “fan boys” then theres just pointing out the oblivious double standards when he does something or doesn’t do something its 10 x worse. Whatever way anyone feels about Kepa fair enough but its not just him, its been in the past with a lot of players. It seems to be a routine that every few years its player X, Y or Z and if it were warranted a lot its fine but this season especially not so much. 

Aye he is not good enough to he our number 1 granted, clear to see nobody disputing it and for 70m, huge wages being on the bench isn’t exactly good for the club or for his career if hes ambitious which yous think mist of these pro footballers should be but if he was in goal tonight and we conceded the exact same goal what do you think the forums reaction would of been? I am curious to think if you do or don’t think a huge majority of people would of said he should of saved it? In fact I am almost certain folk would be saying he should of saved it.

Which is why I don’t think its unfair to say Mendy could of done better with the goal tonight either, no? Because on the countless viewings of the goal I have seen I don’t think its entirely implausible that if he is down a bit quicker he keeps it out, very easily. Not an obvious howler and he’s a big bloke but some of the saves hes made in the CL etc you’d of thought he could save that no?

Its not really double standards though, Mendy being at fault (or should be doing better) for goals is rare, Kepa makes a disturbingly massive habit out of it. Would I have pointed out Kepa should have done better if that was him? Possibly, but that would be because it was yet another in a massive catalogue of them instead of a relative outlier like it is for Edou. 

Mendy will get less slack when those moments come for the exact same reason Cech did and Turnbull didn't. I actually like Kepa as a person he comes across as a decent lad in his interviews and the squad clearly like him, however I also think an obese 70 year old man I sat next too on the plane back from Alicante last year is a decent guy, doesn't mean I want him in goal for Chelsea.

I watched the match with one eye, after a catarract operation.
We gave them a Werner +++ chance in extra time from which they ought to have equalized.
Previously we gave a stupid goal - passing game again in our own area to attract their players forward when we were 2-0 ahead !!!
The tv was showing a replay of a Leicester shot that went wide and all of a sudden switches to live for a real goal !

Loved the performance. Exactly what I was hoping to see.

A little shame about the end scoreline. A 2-0 goal lead would have done wonders to widen the goal difference between us and Leicester.

Can't complain too much though. It came from Kovacic, who in all honesty am just glad to see on the pitch again with some degree of form  after being out for a month.

Good 3 points ... First half was intense, could see we wanted it more than them, would say unlucky that Werner could had 2 goals but it's just how his season has been. Joriginho's penalty was pure class. 

In terms of how played the entire game, would be average ... intensity started to come down as soon as the first goal went in. Our passing was bang average, there are overlapping runs been made but we still chose the difficult through balls. If we play like this in the final, then we will be beaten by City hands down. Conversion in the final third is going to be a huge concern, it wouldnt be solved in the next 2 weeks but we need to come up with a plan because City would know that we would be helping them. 

hace 11 horas, Tomo dijo:

Its not really double standards though, Mendy being at fault (or should be doing better) for goals is rare, Kepa makes a disturbingly massive habit out of it. Would I have pointed out Kepa should have done better if that was him? Possibly, but that would be because it was yet another in a massive catalogue of them instead of a relative outlier like it is for Edou. 

Mendy will get less slack when those moments come for the exact same reason Cech did and Turnbull didn't. I actually like Kepa as a person he comes across as a decent lad in his interviews and the squad clearly like him, however I also think an obese 70 year old man I sat next too on the plane back from Alicante last year is a decent guy, doesn't mean I want him in goal for Chelsea.

Fair enough re Kepa.

Still for the saves Mendy has made and his performances this season I think he could have saved it. But still won the game so all in all cant complain too bad. Still think the pass out from Reece a few days after making a pass from same sort of area (albeit much more ambitious) was a bigger concern. 

14 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

I thought that is biggest quality in Kepas game and Mendys biggest weakness 😯

Bonkers to even be having anykind of Kepa vd Mendy debate.

OK, Mendy might have done a bit better and maybe got a hand on the shot last night, but it was hardly a big blunder. All keepers will let in some goals where they might have done a bit better. Overall though, Mendy has made a very significant difference to the team since he arrived. I no longer shit myself at every corner, free kick or shot from 30 yards of less.

hace 9 minutos, Atomiswave dijo:

That was quality, I loved it, the pace the intensity, the warrior mentality....just quality. And of course they once again did their best to fuck us over them corrupt bastards.

The intensity was the main difference. Seems as if the cup final result fired the boys up.