Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

21 minutes ago, Mana said:

We have to win all our remaining fixtures and hope Arsenal slip up. 

Failure to win the remaining matches, top 4 is gone. Forever.

I just can't see it. Plus Arsenal have a sodding goal difference.  They crept up! One moment he was being compared to Wenger next boom there they are! 

This whole slip stupid scores with us has annoyed me so much. More so now when we're in the last few games 

2 minutes ago, Mana said:

Forever as in for the rest of the season. Can’t believe I have to spell that out.

"Can't believe"..... Really?

You expect people to automatically know that when you use a word thats literal definition means 'for all future time',  just means the rest of the season? 

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Better late than never I guess but given how things panned out, all I see is a manager who lacked the balls to change his stubborn ways with his starting XI when we all saw the problem and he only did so after the fans protested against him for the second time within a month. Things might have gotten slightly better but it looked like an act of desperation from a man who was trying to save himself from the sack! It's also worth questioning whether he knows his best starting XI when he keeps making some mind-boggling changes from time-to-time. And this starting XI issue is only one of many issues with Sarri...

Willian and Pedro have only 1 year left on their contracts. They can't be kept around forever. Even our board can't fail to realize that. If we avoid the transfer ban, we might well sell Willian given his contract situation (hello Barcelona...). 

It's a case of putting your faith in idiots in this one but if we sack Sarri, then gotta hope the board actually do their due diligence in the hiring process and not just hire the flavor of the month.

I don't trust Sarri to manage and improve our young players. Take for example with CHO. For months, Sarri said one thing about him but then did another thing. It took two protests, countless of sacking reports, and media pressure for him to actually start CHO a tad more regularly than before. What does that say about him? Plus, he has barely managed to improve any of our senior players. If he can't do that, then what makes you feel confident that he will do so with our youth players in the long run? This is a manager who prefers to stick with bang average players like Kovacic. He would stick with the likes of him over more talented players.

That positivity isn't gonna hide Sarri's deficiencies in the long run. Even if he has improved Loftus-Cheek and CHO, it doesn't mean he's the right manager long term wise. It's a similar case when we had Benitez in the past.

Nothing Sarri has done this season gives me confidence that he will do better next time if we let him stick around and you could probably make a strong argument that we have the worst manager among the top six. Probably the worst of all is I rarely enjoy watching us play anymore this season. Am used to us having shit seasons but Sarri has just completely sucked the life out of football with the things he's done, which is ironic after he said he wanted to bring 'fun' to our play!

He has not only improved Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Callum but probably used them a lot more than any of our past managers would (even if CHO hasnt played as much as wed have hoped but lets be realisitc start of the season he was undoubtedly 4th choice on the wings regardless considering pre season). And going from the circulating rumours regarding us considering using Reece James in the squad next, another I think after a while will prove to Sarri he can be depended on. Even including Emerson, who is by no means a great player or even a young player, using him and both RLC and CHO in a game against Liverpool is extremely encouraging. Rubens development under Sarri is never brought up but hes no doubt 10 times more effective as he ever was here beforehand and even at Palace. Hes added end product and goals to his game. That comes through maturing as a player through playing and coaching. Considering Edens goal and assist return is considerably the best be has had here as well you cant say he hasnt improved any other players or got them to try and maiximize their output. Hazard, Luiz for a while, Barkley for a while, Callum, Ruben, there has been improvements. In fits and bursts.

The whole play CHO situation and England playing him first before he made a PL start was just odd but I cant help but feel because we werent doing well, those guys uptop were not playing well that it again stemmed slightly from frustration. Could be argued throwing a young guy in a struggling team wouldnt help either. I did agree he could have played more but its almost as if some people were pinning saving our season on him at times lol.

Its not been plain sailing and I get why people are frustrated but theres more a foot than just Sarri being stubborn and playing this brand of football that when not played quick enough isnt effective but thats what going through this process was gonna be like at some point. A manager who wants to implement his own ideas, which were completely against the grain of what the last 4 managers before him, will obviously be stubborn to get things in his image.

You mentioned Benitez not being the right man in the long run yeard ago but Jose Mourinho was leaving Real and Rafa already confirmed he wouldnt be staying so yes in that regard it was the right move. Sarri isn't an exceptional manager by any means but its hardly like Mourinho is lined up to come back is it? Or A Klopp/Pep level coach who could come in and get an instance improvenent as well as managing to sign the likes of Ederson, Alisson, van Dijk, Laporte, Sane, Bernardo Silva, top quality level players because we need a few in areas. Or will we change and then wait and see how the likes of a Nuno (yes doing well at Wolves but shown at Valencia, Porto, two bigger clubs in their leagues where he achieved nothing), Eddie Howe, Javi Gracia, or the other managers to have a good season in the PL at a recently promoted team do when they will just be as out of their depth as the likes of what many on here probably percieve Sarri is. Realistically all the other top managers are in jobs. Sarri is basically the Quique Setién (although hes an older guy and Betis actually play some fantastic football) or whatever up and coming "in demand" manager of a few years ago. Before he got here everyone, particularly Italian journalists and pundits heavily highlighted his "issues", lack of rotation even in cup games, preference to use and burn out many out of only say 13 or 14 players in the same system over the course of a season and a lack of integration of young players (not that we did that anyway). Even the bloody Napoli president, be it through spite or a warning...

It baffles me how some people are reacting as if no other manager done any of this in the past either. Conte for instance flogging Alonso after signing Emerson in January and also not deviating from 343 in the same season after a brief experiment using 352. Jose flogging Matic and Azpi, using that same low block even against smaller teams. I think we needed to change and go for someone like Sarri with a more offensive idea of football. If Sarri is to be sacked a manager in a similar mould has to be appointed.

The whole sucking fun out of football thing with his style... lets be honest almost every season regardless of manager, the players... the style at this club is always brought up and could always be like some other clubs.... its a reoccuring theme here, get the idea some people will never be happy regardless. 

19 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

13 times we've conceded a goal between 45-56mins.

Sarri's half time team talks working well then.

Its because teams know that as soon they press us we look lost and start panicking. And they usualy start with blitzkriegs in the second half.

When they do, I often expect us to concede in those phases.

20 hours ago, Vesper said:

lolol, based off what? The last WC? LOLOLOL

ridiculous

I have seen him coach Germany so many years and I can tell that he is such a biased coach. It took him so many years to realise that some guys are not good enough, while other players that were so much better did not get a fair chance.He reminds me a lot of Sarri, only real difference is that he actually gives youth a chance. After WC, I stopped watching Germany games, but I can tell you that he always plays 4-2-3-1 (til I stopped watching Germany games), while Sarri only plays 4-3-3. You don´t have to change your formation every time, but at least change it once in a while because every team knew how to to play against a 4-2-3-1. He also has his favourite player and even if they underperform, they will start and that is one of the reasons why Germany underperformed in recent times. He is a very predictable, unflexible coach that had the luck to coach the golden generation of German footballers. There are way better german coaches out there like Klopp or Tuchel, but I would not consider him a good coach. The only positives I see about him as a coach is that he is not a youth hater and he is a good motivator. Apart from that, I don´t see any big strenghts.

Also, I did not want to offend you,it seemed that you took my comment very hard. I think that was the only time I ever disagreed with you and on this topic, I disagree big time .

6 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

I have seen him coach Germany so many years and I can tell that he is such a biased coach. It took him so many years to realise that some guys are not good enough, while other players that were so much better did not get a fair chance.He reminds me a lot of Sarri, only real difference is that he actually gives youth a chance. After WC, I stopped watching Germany games, but I can tell you that he always plays 4-2-3-1 (til I stopped watching Germany games), while Sarri only plays 4-3-3. You don´t have to change your formation every time, but at least change it once in a while because every team knew how to to play against a 4-2-3-1. He also has his favourite player and even if they underperform, they will start and that is one of the reasons why Germany underperformed in recent times. He is a very predictable, unflexible coach that had the luck to coach the golden generation of German footballers. There are way better german coaches out there like Klopp or Tuchel, but I would not consider him a good coach. The only positives I see about him as a coach is that he is not a youth hater and he is a good motivator. Apart from that, I don´t see any big strenghts.

Also, I did not want to offend you,it seemed that you took my comment very hard. I think that was the only time I ever disagreed with you and on this topic, I disagree big time .

sorry if I came on a bit strong, those are valid points:)

I was just trying to match a manager to all those points the other poster put up

4 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Which is it. 

Either Sarri deliberately tells our players to drop the intensity and to relax

Or our players lose their focus the moment the opposition puts on pressure

C'mon now. Let's not pretend as if opponents don't put us under pressure in other periods of the game. 

And not to mention, we conceded only 6 goals between 46-60 minutes last season with almost the same group of players.

4 hours ago, Tomo said:

Four games away from the end of the league and we are 4 points of last seasons total, you would think/hope we will at the very worst match it. Add to the fact this season has been a massive culture shift in the club, most of the first team didn't arrive till 1 week before the league started and we have had Europa distractions all season (added to a league cup final run has meant a brutal schedule which has lead to high match turnover basically all season). Right now i think Sarri has should get the benefit of the doubt given what I've listed above.

That said there's some aspects he needs a big improvement on. His tactics on big and even 2nd tier away games, our results have not been good enough and the way we capitulate at times is beyond pale, his big game away results at Napoli were pretty good iirc so he needs to translate that to here because we can't have anymore humiliations. His squad management was a big concern of mine 2 months ago but recently he seems to have improved a lot on that score, only Azpi is really getting "flogged" to the level we feared our entire starting Xl would be at this stage, hopefully this is a sign he's learning to better utilize his squad.

All in all i want to see where giving him a second season alongside a proper pre season will take us, if we get to October and still no progress or worse we go backwards then okay bye bye, we won't be winning the league next season so it's worth a roll of the dice.

you're right, but you have to consider also if there will be the ban or not. with the ban I don't know if it would be smart to continue with sarri 

because most of the players don't fit his football 

5 hours ago, Tomo said:

Four games away from the end of the league and we are 4 points of last seasons total, you would think/hope we will at the very worst match it. Add to the fact this season has been a massive culture shift in the club, most of the first team didn't arrive till 1 week before the league started and we have had Europa distractions all season (added to a league cup final run has meant a brutal schedule which has lead to high match turnover basically all season). Right now i think Sarri has should get the benefit of the doubt given what I've listed above.

That said there's some aspects he needs a big improvement on. His tactics on big and even 2nd tier away games, our results have not been good enough and the way we capitulate at times is beyond pale, his big game away results at Napoli were pretty good iirc so he needs to translate that to here because we can't have anymore humiliations. His squad management was a big concern of mine 2 months ago but recently he seems to have improved a lot on that score, only Azpi is really getting "flogged" to the level we feared our entire starting Xl would be at this stage, hopefully this is a sign he's learning to better utilize his squad.

All in all i want to see where giving him a second season alongside a proper pre season will take us, if we get to October and still no progress or worse we go backwards then okay bye bye, we won't be winning the league next season so it's worth a roll of the dice.

Is that more of hope than anything else? You've gone from backing Sarri to wanting him out to now backing him again. :carlo: 

Sarri has shown nothing this season to suggest that he deserves to stay on for a second season (can't be bothered to mention the reasons again). Having a full pre-season with the first team would help but really, that is just a convenient excuse. Was that getting thrown around when we had that unbeaten run up till November? How often do you see people throw around this pre-season excuse when things go wrong? Half of the pre-season is usually spent travelling around and managers don't often get to train the players properly anyway. If you want proper full time, get knocked out of Europe and the cup competitions early!

Speaking of Europe and cup competitions, I really don't get why you brought that up as some sort of distractions. We as a club want to be as successful as possible, want to win as many trophies as possible and now you're lamenting the fact that we have had to play so many games? 

Sarri did have an OKAY record in the big away games with Napoli but playing away at Man City, Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham is completely different than going to Juventus, Inter, Milan, Roma etc. 

I don't get what's the point of giving Sarri until October (or whatever month) just to see whether we are improving or going backwards when nothing this season has suggested that things will get better under him. It'll be worse if that transfer ban sticks, he can't buy his own players and he's stuck with the same set of players that he can't get the best out of. Also let's say if we sack Sarri in October, new manager comes in and does not do well immediately, then are you going to use the pre-season as an excuse again? If we're to sack Sarri, we're better off just doing it after the season and give the new manager proper time for squad planning, pre-season training etc rather than waste more time with Sarri and whatever uncertainty that will follow with him. Otherwise, we'll just become like Arsenal - stick with a manager who we all know isn't going to work and basically just left praying that things will come good. 

2 hours ago, Mana said:

Nah, my stance still stands. Failure to get CL this season needs to get him the boot. I don’t trust the man going forward. Too many woeful mistakes.

Sarri isn’t going to become a Klopp or a Pep. He’s Wenger MKII. The sooner people realise that, the better.

Another season to come to this conclusion. 

We shall see next season.