Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

4 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Sarri needs 2 or 3 years to make most exciting team in Europe. In Chelsea and Juve was only one season and still had successful seasons. It could only get better after that. 

I don't know what was the turnover of players in each of his season at Napoli but I don't think it was a lot, if any at all. Hence he was able to build the consistency with largely the same group of players. If he had stayed here, would he have been able to build that same consistency? In 2019/20, there was a whole bunch of young players coming through and then last summer, we bought a new bunch of players. How long would he have taken to build that consistency with that amount of turnovers?

The ironic thing about saying Sarri built an exciting team at Napoli is he ended up winning nothing. Even Benitez and Gattuso managed to win something. And he didn't win the Europa League here and the Serie A title because of his system or football. He simply won it because he had a peak Hazard and Ronaldo. Even the Serie A title win was hardly convincing compared to their past seasons' success. 

Just now, Jas said:

It's debatable considering he was so rigid and inflexible in his ways. Perhaps am saying this on hindsight but don't it was a bad thing he chose to jump ship to Juventus back then. 

Perhaps but we played a back 3 for 2 seasons in a counter attacking style so to change that radically and be competitive enough it would have to be someone who is slightly inflexible and rigid in their approach to ensure it happens no? If it was just a go and do what you want approach well, we seen what happened with Frank. 

Maybe not now but Pep and Klopp were definitely inflexible and rigid enough in their ways early days at City and Liverpool to get their styles ingrained. Maybe the system changed here and there but predominantly the style, win lose or draw, it never changed even in season 1. Even when Pep leaves City, they will play a similar style because the next guy will have to meet a certain criteria and odds on it will heavily be based around what theyve already done, including Pellegrini coming in beforehand also and them building a squad for this style/approach when they appointed Tixi whatever his name is.

I am just hoping Tuchel and the club come to a not too dissimilar approach though and he gets us to play as he wants us to play but with a longer term idea in place that has its principles and that say the next manager or managers in mind have to be guys that can deliver/incorporate certain similarities if it continues to be successful. Although I do think the Sarri appointment was the beginning of that or at least maybe the way they wanted to go.

3 minutes ago, Jas said:

I don't know what was the turnover of players in each of his season at Napoli but I don't think it was a lot, if any at all. Hence he was able to build the consistency with largely the same group of players. If he had stayed here, would he have been able to build that same consistency? In 2019/20, there was a whole bunch of young players coming through and then last summer, we bought a new bunch of players. How long would he have taken to build that consistency with that amount of turnovers?

The ironic thing about saying Sarri built an exciting team at Napoli is he ended up winning nothing. Even Benitez and Gattuso managed to win something. And he didn't win the Europa League here and the Serie A title because of his system or football. He simply won it because he had a peak Hazard and Ronaldo. Even the Serie A title win was hardly convincing compared to their past seasons' success. 

Tbf the last 4 months under Sarri, the football and also the results were promising I thought. Considering the over the top outrage. I don’t think we lost many. Its not as if Eden carried us for the 4 months either. I really believe we would of won the EL final either way if Eden played as he did or not. Kovacic was also pretty good that night which was a surprise under Sarri as was Emerson. Cant think of many who were poor. 

I think having already had him as manager for 12 months, it would of been a lot smoother than appointing a new manager overall. Not changing the background staff etc despite many being at the club in a previous capacity one way or another. The methods would be familiar, more than half the senior players were still there from the previous season, it wouldn’t of just been Jorginho on the pitch as Sarri’s right hand man as people alluded to so to speak, there would of probably been 3 or 4 or 5. Plus as has been mentioned his greatest success was building Napoli up and it took time, maybe he didnt win anything but 75% of the guys who have now won trophies in that squad are probably only as good as they are because of his coaching to a degree.

I think there was issues though with players here, similarly with Conte and Jose before which maybe would of been the only real issue but this is modern day football and player issues is basically mentioned every time a managers positions under threat so who knows if he would of had the same success as at Napoli in terms of the development of the team.

apologies for the long post, some night time reading i suppose 🤣

3 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Perhaps but we played a back 3 for 2 seasons in a counter attacking style so to change that radically and be competitive enough it would have to be someone who is slightly inflexible and rigid in their approach to ensure it happens no? If it was just a go and do what you want approach well, we seen what happened with Frank. 

Maybe not now but Pep and Klopp were definitely inflexible and rigid enough in their ways early days at City and Liverpool to get their styles ingrained. Maybe the system changed here and there but predominantly the style, win lose or draw, it never changed even in season 1. Even when Pep leaves City, they will play a similar style because the next guy will have to meet a certain criteria and odds on it will heavily be based around what theyve already done, including Pellegrini coming in beforehand also and them building a squad for this style/approach when they appointed Tixi whatever his name is.

I am just hoping Tuchel and the club come to a not too dissimilar approach though and he gets us to play as he wants us to play but with a longer term idea in place that has its principles and that say the next manager or managers in mind have to be guys that can deliver/incorporate certain similarities if it continues to be successful. Although I do think the Sarri appointment was the beginning of that or at least maybe the way they wanted to go.

Tbf the last 4 months under Sarri, the football and also the results were promising I thought. Considering the over the top outrage. I don’t think we lost many. Its not as if Eden carried us for the 4 months either. I really believe we would of won the EL final either way if Eden played as he did or not. Kovacic was also pretty good that night which was a surprise under Sarri as was Emerson. Cant think of many who were poor. 

I think having already had him as manager for 12 months, it would of been a lot smoother than appointing a new manager overall. Not changing the background staff etc despite many being at the club in a previous capacity one way or another. The methods would be familiar, more than half the senior players were still there from the previous season, it wouldn’t of just been Jorginho on the pitch as Sarri’s right hand man as people alluded to so to speak, there would of probably been 3 or 4 or 5. Plus as has been mentioned his greatest success was building Napoli up and it took time, maybe he didnt win anything but 75% of the guys who have now won trophies in that squad are probably only as good as they are because of his coaching to a degree.

I think there was issues though with players here, similarly with Conte and Jose before which maybe would of been the only real issue but this is modern day football and player issues is basically mentioned every time a managers positions under threat so who knows if he would of had the same success as at Napoli in terms of the development of the team.

apologies for the long post, some night time reading i suppose 🤣

Oh gawd...

tenor.gif

It's late and too lazy to argue about the 'what ifs'. On hindsight, things haven't turned out too badly for us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Vesper said:

So… He went to defend his player since ref wasn't very keen to because 'zlatan'?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...