Emerson Palmieri

Unionjack

2 hours ago, milan.cech said:

Yet another time you or someone else mix up the Prague clubs. It was Slavia Prague. It is like saying CSKA Moscow while meaning Spartak Moscow, or Man City and Man United.

Pub teams, who cares :P

About Emerson... We bought him for 18m IIRC. Juventus wanted 65m for Alex Sandro. Emerson is much younger and at his best he can be on the same level. Pre injury at Roma and this season he's world class. Actually Sandro is declining so bringing Emerson was great deal! He had a horrible injury but we took a risk and it will pay off in the future. He needed season and a half to fully recover. 

January 2018 first transfer window after Emanelo left when we bought for just 50m Emerson, Barkley and Giroud was great. 

9 hours ago, Strike said:

Laughing at all those suggesting last season that Alonso was on the same level or better! This guy is a solid left back

Lets not rewrite history, Emerson wasn't very good pre the back end of last season and looked lost against any half decent opposition.

However he's massively improved since and it's added an extra dimension to our attack from the flanks, long may it continue.

58 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Lets not rewrite history, Emerson wasn't very good pre the back end of last season and looked lost against any half decent opposition.

However he's massively improved since and it's added an extra dimension to our attack from the flanks, long may it continue.

I think he was still comfortably better than Alonso who regressed massively in 17-18

11 minutes ago, Strike said:

I think he was still comfortably better than Alonso who regressed massively in 17-18

I think the issue with Marcos is when he's overplayed, he's not the most athletic and the way Conte and Sarri used him overemphasized that further. Everytime he returned to the team fresh after Emerson had a run he usually responded with strong performances (for that reason i'd have no qualms him filling in vs Leicester if Frank decides the EP needs a rest after these two games). 

Although that said I've always said he (Alonso) is more a back up type of player so now with Emerson's resurgence we can finally use him in that capacity.

Just now, Tomo said:

I think the issue with Marcos is when he's overplayed, he's not the most athletic and the way Conte and Sarri used him overemphasised that. Everytime he returned to the team fresh after Emerson had a run he usually responded with strong performances. 

Although that said I've always said he's more a back up type of player so now with Emerson's resurgence we can finally use him in that capacity.

Not to forget Alonso looked best in a back-five with a third centre back covering for him

2 hours ago, Strike said:

Not to forget Alonso looked best in a back-five with a third centre back covering for him

zero issues with him as an occasional left wing back

we do not play that system though

he needs to go next summer 10000000000000000000000000%

13 hours ago, Strike said:

Laughing at all those suggesting last season that Alonso was on the same level or better! This guy is a solid left back

I am the biggest Alonso basher here, and TBF, most all of those who were saying that said so (mostly, a few hold-outs still were trying to pass off that shit even later on) before Emerson finally came good (middle of last season) and looked the great player he was at Roma pre-injury

Emerson is now streets ahead of La Tortuga,and there are only 5 LBs who maybe be remotely available next summer who I would rate as must buys over him

Alex Telles (Porto)   Ben Chillwell (Leicester)      José Gayà (Valencia)         David Alaba  (Bayern, and last year to buy, as he is 29 in summer 2021;plus he will still be insanely expensive)          and maybe Alejandro Grimaldo (Benfica)  

Alex Sandro is already too old in summer 2020, as he turns 30 in middle of next season

massive drop-off after all those as Lucas Hernandez, Junior Firpo, and Ferland Mendy are now all off the board, Faouzi Ghoulam turns 30 nest season, and Benjamin Mendy is so injury prone it is ruing his career ATM (plus Shitty will not sell him if he fully recovers)

58 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Actually marco can score so you can always use him as a wild card sub. 

Unless it's a free kick, Alonso is unlikely to score many in a back 4 compared to when playing in a back 3. Scored one in the second game last season and then never scored again until late March. Only 4 goals last season. His tally dropped from the previous two seasons under Conte.

8 hours ago, Vesper said:

I am the biggest Alonso basher here, and TBF, most all of those who were saying that said so (mostly, a few hold-outs still were trying to pass off that shit even later on) before Emerson finally came good (middle of last season) and looked the great player he was at Roma pre-injury

Emerson is now streets ahead of La Tortuga,and there are only 5 LBs who maybe be remotely available next summer who I would rate as must buys over him

Alex Telles (Porto)   Ben Chillwell (Leicester)      José Gayà (Valencia)         David Alaba  (Bayern, and last year to buy, as he is 29 in summer 2021;plus he will still be insanely expensive)          and maybe Alejandro Grimaldo (Benfica)  

Alex Sandro is already too old in summer 2020, as he turns 30 in middle of next season

massive drop-off after all those as Lucas Hernandez, Junior Firpo, and Ferland Mendy are now all off the board, Faouzi Ghoulam turns 30 nest season, and Benjamin Mendy is so injury prone it is ruing his career ATM (plus Shitty will not sell him if he fully recovers)

Can see Lampard doing an English revolution like United are doing now and sign Chillwell

Chillwell and Emerson will be like having Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge. Cannot ask for better cover

People seem to be more enthusiastic about Emerson than I am. It could be that I missing something, but I really haven't seen enough from him yet. I'm on board with the idea that he is now our first choice, but the long-term answer? I just don't see it. 

48 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

People seem to be more enthusiastic about Emerson than I am. It could be that I missing something, but I really haven't seen enough from him yet. I'm on board with the idea that he is now our first choice, but the long-term answer? I just don't see it. 

The thing is, you are kind forgetting that if he does not play Alonso will, which is the worst thing that could happen.. ( damn I really hate that guy )

1 hour ago, Bobo said:

The thing is, you are kind forgetting that if he does not play Alonso will, which is the worst thing that could happen.. ( damn I really hate that guy )

While I don't hate Marcus, I do fully agree that Emerson should start ahead of him. My position is that Emerson is our starter by default; he is the best we have, but he is not of the quality we need. In common with a number of people, notably Vesper, I have left back down as priority number two once we are able to sign players again.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh fair enough I guess I’m really not a fan. 

Thought he was one of the poorest players against Norwich today. Very wasteful around the opposition box esp with the amount of spaces he had. His shooting is quite poor too.

prob zouma does not make his life easy with awkward and pedantic passing, so will have to wait for rudiger on that.