Emerson Palmieri

Unionjack

Yes he was poor today and is probably just an average player anyway.  But Alonsos lack of pace and positional discipline makes him an absolute liability. Emerson is a brilliant athlete with flawless work ethic albeit erratic in his final ball and shooting.

2 hours ago, Robchels said:

Heh fair enough I guess I’m really not a fan. 

Thought he was one of the poorest players against Norwich today. Very wasteful around the opposition box esp with the amount of spaces he had. His shooting is quite poor too.

prob zouma does not make his life easy with awkward and pedantic passing, so will have to wait for rudiger on that.

He created a good number of chances, Christensen’s was one of the best of the match. 

8 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Gem in the making. Reckon we’ll all be talking about needing a back up vs an upgrade on him come end of the season 

I'm betting against that. So far through preseason and in the early days of the season proper, Emerson has played one half that I was happy with. The rest of his output has frustrated the heck out of me. His chronic one footless, and shyness about looking for a forward continuity pass, steals all of the forward momentum from a big percentage of our movements.

3 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I'm betting against that. So far through preseason and in the early days of the season proqper, Emerson has played one half that I was happy with. The rest of his output has frustrated the heck out of me. His chronic one footless, and shyness about looking for a forward continuity pass, steals all of the forward momentum from a big percentage of our movements.

I think in general squad players being regular starters in our squad has held us back for a while, then in 2017 we made it worse by adding more squad player's to go with the one's we already had. Not only that but when our top player's decline to the level of squad player ability we tend to take years to act accordingly (Ivan and the old guard), hopefully the same mistake isn't made with Azpi.

To truly push forward and challenge again we need to make top quality signing's while pushing the squad player's back to appropriate roles, with the player's we now have coming through the system that should be a lot easier as we have less spaces to fill.

He's vastly improved from last season. I didn't think he justified last season being lauded so much amongst our fan base over Alonso.

He does look fitter and more confident that he has the trust of Lampard.

The stat regarding tackles and not being dribbled past is interesting because I think overall he's been very good defensively so far this season despite the team's shortcomings as a whole. A lot of the problems we've experienced so far is down Azpi's side or straight through the middle. I don't remember many problems down the left hand side.

He does however need to improve his attacking output if he is the long term solution. He's got a good pace and energy about himself, but his final ball or decision making in the final third is just far too inconsistent at present. He has shown flashes of capability so will be interesting to see if he can improve on this area over the course of the season because I believe right now the left back position is his to lose this year.

5 hours ago, Tomo said:

I think in general squad players being regular starters in our squad has held us back for a while...

A perfect summation of the situation.

That situation is particularly badly exposed if we compare our depth at leftback with Manchester City's. In my opinion, any of the four options they have at LB would, when fit, be the stater here.

Edit: I moved the second paragraph from a different post because it made more sense as a response to what @Tomo had to say. I did that after Tomo had 'liked' the original version of this post, so maybe he wouldn't want to associate himself with the comparison I made to Man City.

4 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

...The stat regarding tackles and not being dribbled past is interesting because I think overall he's been very good defensively so far this season despite the team's shortcomings as a whole...

I would not have said very, but I do agree that he's done well defensively.

Starting to show now what he showed in little cameo roles last season, but golden boy Alonso kept being selected for no reason at all.
If this is the end of Alonso I will be fucking delighted. 
It has to be in terms of being a starter. Let's hope Alonso does a Luiz next summer.

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

Game just ended

1 3 Italy

Emerson was the best player on the pitch :wub:

monster game

It just shows ye playing under different manager can do for ye  under sarri and Conte he didn't get a proper look in