The Mourinho Thread

4 hours ago, Pizy said:

I respect your opinion, but will you still not be bothered if he's winning titles there? Or if Conte fails spectacularly or even doesn't get us top 4 whilst José is killing it in Manchester?

For me, it's too early to decide whether it's a good thing he's gone. I won't know that until this time next year.

This is addition by subtraction for us and that is ultimately all I'm concerned about.

If Mourinho wins with Man Utd it will be no different than had they won with any other manager.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

It's really bizarre that some group of Chelsea fans think we can't survive without Mourinho. It's as though he's the be-all and end-all for us and we don't have him in charge, we are doomed to fail. We have proved that we can win without him and will continue to do so. And so what if he brings United back to the top? Do people actually think they are just going to stuck rut for eternity? Even if it's not Mourinho, someone else would bring United back to the top. So I don't get all this outcry that Mourinho will restore greatness to their club.

This is why I said in the past, I'm glad this season happen to us. Mourinho shadow was so much in our club that nothing we did match to what he did for us. 

But his second stint just completely killed that ghost and we can move forward. 

Moreover I agree with you, people who think Mourinho is the be all end all let me remind you that after Morinho got sack the first time many new and better managers have come out. Pep, Klopp, Conte, Pochetinno and most importantly as of late the best of the best Simeone. 

We will not die because one manager is gone, managers come and go. Appear in the games, and old managers get outdated and be left behind as they don't evolve with the times. 

2 hours ago, Robguima said:

Just not sure your causality here is correct: Jose historically incites trouble only when the team is not performing and keeps more quiet when things are going well. Right or wrong, he's always done that (other managers do the same btw), mostly to remove pressure from his players. Obviously, this strategy only works for a short time and eventually you need to get the results, but the overall form at the beginning of the season was so poor that it was going to take a while no matter what you did.

I am a firm believer that we would have end up at around the same position had Jose stayed. Even the obvious dissident players would've decided to rally behind him a bit just to stay safe, eventually; bringing Hiddink just expedited the process, but along it came his bad tactics, team selections, and outdated ideas... IMO of course.

The key here is short time. Mourinho style and strategy is very short termism. He did not wanted to evolve with us and because of that things was worse here then what happened at Real Madrid. 

So again proves the point that Mourinho was right to let go because he was a short term coach. 3 years which in today's futbol ain't that bad, but if you want to stay longer you need to come up with better then that. 

2 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Without hopefully sounding bitter and biased, I don't think its a foregone conclusion that he will do as well as people are already expecting him to.

In his first spell here, he was young, vibrant and fresh. Our version of the 4-3-3 was actually pretty new at the time, certainly in the premier league. The role of the holding midfielder, even little things like putting more people up the pitch when defending our own corners. He brought so many new ideas and he was bold and aggressive. In his second spell here I didn't see any of this.

If we all stand back and look at things. In his first season back I don't think we were anything special. At times we played some really piss poor, boring football. I actually think we played better in the previous season under Benitez and I don't think we would have done any worse were he in charge that year. Last season was obviously successful but we only really played well in the first half of the season and managed the second half of the season. I think this season shows not just how poor we've been, but how poor the likes of United, City and Arsenal have all been, but they were the same last season and I think we simply took advantage of that just like Leicester have done this year.

I feel that Jose doesn't seem to have the same spark for new ideas and tactics that he once did and seemed almost outdated the second time around. 

Whether Conte is the right choice remains to be seen, but I am excited that we have a young manager with new ideas and a more youthful energy, like the first time Mourinho was here. There is a new breed of managers like Klopp, Conte, Pochettino who play a very aggressive, expansive and pressing game and I like it. I think it's bold, and I think when done right with the right players it's devastatingly effective. I'm excited the direction we're heading in to be honest.

You have hit a point here my friend. Mourinho currently is living of his past glory.

If he continues this path he's running the risk of being left behind like many great managers of past history, Capello, Arrigo Sacchi and such. 

Saying he's going to be calm and well-behaved at United is far-fetched. He had the money at RM but that didn't stop him from causing too much drama. He's a drama magnet/generator.

3 hours ago, Ledgi said:

With the tune of Seven Nation Army's "White Stripes"

Dude, the band name and the song title are the other way around.

24 minutes ago, Azpinator said:

Saying he's going to be calm and well-behaved at United is far-fetched. He had the money at RM but that didn't stop him from causing too much drama. He's a drama magnet/generator.

Dude, the band name and the song title are the other way around.

Are you telling me that Sandstorm didn't make Darude??????

3 hours ago, Ledgi said:

Hope our fans show class and don't chant "F*ck of Mourinho" and just completly ignore him.

I would prefer to hear them sing our new manager's name.

With the tune of Seven Nation Army's "White Stripes" will fit quite good.

"Ohhhhhh Antonio Conte" :)

Hmm....they sang that chant last time.

Who is to say they wont do it again

4 hours ago, Robguima said:

Just not sure your causality here is correct: Jose historically incites trouble only when the team is not performing and keeps more quiet when things are going well. Right or wrong, he's always done that (other managers do the same btw), mostly to remove pressure from his players. Obviously, this strategy only works for a short time and eventually you need to get the results, but the overall form at the beginning of the season was so poor that it was going to take a while no matter what you did.

I am a firm believer that we would have end up at around the same position had Jose stayed. Even the obvious dissident players would've decided to rally behind him a bit just to stay safe, eventually; bringing Hiddink just expedited the process, but along it came his bad tactics, team selections, and outdated ideas... IMO of course.

With all due respect.. Absolute nonsense. I can't believe people still believe this crap. Have you not been paying attention these last 2 years or so? Jose goes into crazy-mode to protect Jose from criticism. Nothing more. 

4 minutes ago, Kieran. said:

He's gonna be a Man Utd legend, he learned from his mistakes here. Tough to swallow but we'll move on.

How do you know he's learnt from his mistakes?

When he came back the second time to us he said he had gained experience and learnt from mistakes previously so that this time he was ready for the long term and look what happened.

If anything going on his past experience, he's shown no signs, nor willingness to learn from his mistakes and adapt.

Just now, Superblue_1986 said:

How do you know he's learnt from his mistakes?

When he came back the second time to us he said he had gained experience and learnt from mistakes previously so that this time he was ready for the long term and look what happened.

If anything going on his past experience, he's shown no signs, nor willingness to learn from his mistakes and adapt.

Because he can't fuck up 2 stints in a row, maybe 3 if you consider Real Madrid a failure.

1 minute ago, Kieran. said:

Because he can't fuck up 2 stints in a row, maybe 3 if you consider Real Madrid a failure.

Hmm, not sure about Real Madrid. I think it could be interpreted either way to be honest.

His tactics in his second spell with us got found out a lot of times, be interesting what he does with United.