Juan Mata

Severinb

United doesnt need Mata, they need a CM or a winger....

They needed Cesc/Thiago or Cristiano/Bale.

United need about 5 players. RedCafe calls their style of football "Dinosaur" football right now because of their dour tactics and lack of creativity. Mata could slot if anywhere along their attack. They can play a more modern style of football with Mata in behind RvP.

United doesnt need Mata, they need a CM or a winger....

They needed Cesc/Thiago or Cristiano/Bale.

United's problem (going off-topic) is that I'm not sure they know what they need. I think they're looking to replace Keane and Scholes but the game has moved on. I don't know what their style of play is and I don't know what Moyes style of play is to be honest, which is why they look like a mess. They seem to want to continue to play the 'United way' but that was looking a bit weary over the last couple of seasons.

We built a team around Mata? That's strange to know, considering we didn't even gave him a proper striker, someone who would convert his numerius passes that never managed to become assists.

To get the best out of Mata, team needs defensive, ball disturbing CM and solid DM in pivot and a decent striker. In that case Mata wouldn't have to defend, his offensive assets would become his best defence.

But I get it. We are playing different style and Jose loves direct players rather than the flair ones. He doesn't fit in his system.

I am among those who want him in other club where he would fit more, be much more needed and appreciated, able to do what he does the best, play attacking midfielder and producing goals and assists.

Watching Mata playing as a winger and judging attacking midfielder is rather unfair.

With all the defensive work, tackles, tracking back Oscar will be lucky to get half of Mata's 55 assists 32 goals in two seasons. When he does, this debate about who is better AM will be debatable for me.

Lets not forget that Drogba didn't play that great in PL and we had not proper striker in PL both seasons.

For now Oscar is more complete and fits more in current system. But better in terms of productivity? Not just there yet.

United need about 5 players. RedCafe calls their style of football "Dinosaur" football right now because of their dour tactics and lack of creativity. Mata could slot if anywhere along their attack. They can play a more modern style of football with Mata in behind RvP.

Personally, I think they need to find a replacement for Carrick and someone to play alongside him. I dont know how Phil Jones as CM will work out, but he did do well vs arsenal.

We built a team around Mata? That's strange to know, considering we didn't even gave him a proper striker, someone who would convert his numerius passes that never managed to become assists.
To get the best out of Mata, team needs defensive, ball disturbing CM and solid DM in pivot and a decent striker. In that case Mata wouldn't have to defend, his offensive assets would become his best defence.
But I get it. We are playing different style and Jose loves direct players rather than the flair ones. He doesn't fit in his system.
I am among those who want him in other club where he would fit more, be much more needed and appreciated, able to do what he does the best, play attacking midfielder and producing goals and assists.
Watching Mata playing as a winger and judging attacking midfielder is rather unfair.
With all the defensive work, tackles, tracking back Oscar will be lucky to get half of Mata's 55 assists 32 goals in two seasons. When he does, this debate about who is better AM will be debatable for me.
Lets not forget that Drogba didn't play that great in PL and we had not proper striker in PL both seasons.
For now Oscar is more complete and fits more in current system. But better in terms of productivity? Not just there yet.

Goal wise, i think he can...

Assist wise will be difficult. He nor Hazard excel at set pieces...

also, your beginning statement described what any Cam would need to succeed. I dont think we built a team for Mata, however, we put him in prime position to get his stats, etc.... I guess its two different things, but I think people were saying that he was put in position to excel stat wise... (or i might have misinterpreted).

We have also had huge slice of luck this season in comparison to last season and our current league standing is quite flattering.

games against villa, westbrom, Liverpool (The two Eto'o incidents) and Man city where we were thoroughly outplayed and had Joe hart to thank for the last minute brainfart.

We hav also been unlucky. Lost to everton when we should have raped them, lost to sunderland in the league cup when eto missed 2 one on ones, lost to stoke city when we should have been 3-0 up at half time, we should have won arsenal with more clear chances, and we unluckily got a red card against bayern when we should have won if oscar scored an open goal in normal time.

Mancity didn't dominate us, we should have beaten mancity. We got more clear chances and should have been 3-0 up at half time, aguero scored a lucky goal that cech should have saved.

We had some luck and also have been so unlucky. It happens every season just like how we didn't deserve to beat benfica in the europa league finals.

I can't believe people are having this kind of discussion. The team is better without Mata at this moment, so it really doesn't matter if he was good last two seasons, if his past stats are x, y or z.

Mourinho is the man to lead this team, and Mata is not a Mourinho player. When he had his opportunities he has been average at best. Last season the team was an Europa League side, the other the team finished 6th in the league.

Pages and more pages of discussion, when everything is very simple, Willian and Oscar are playing better and there is no reason why Mata should playing instead of both.

Pages and more pages of discussion, when everything is very simple, Willian and Oscar are playing better and there is no reason why Mata should playing instead of both.

That is indeed true, but some people are trying to reason that we didn't challenge for the PL over the last 2 seasons because we built the team around our then most influential player (Mata), when that's not true. There are many, many other factors which affected our performances in the past two seasons but people are trying to use the fact that we built the team around Juan as the reason why we didn't really succeed in those two seasons which just isn't true IMO. Yes, the team is playing better now but it isn't solely because the side isn't built with Mata as its number 10, there are many other factors i.e. finally having a solid manager who has a long term plan, players maturing (Hazard & Oscar), brilliant squad depth, more balance in the AM strata (Hazard and Willian on each flank instead if Mazacar) etc.

I agree that Mata shouldn't be starting right now because players are outperforming him, but I don't like and disagree with how people are trying to attribute our failures in the PL over the past two seasons to Juan being our main man. It just isn't true.

Personally, I think they need to find a replacement for Carrick and someone to play alongside him. I dont know how Phil Jones as CM will work out, but he did do well vs arsenal.

Phil Jones is good complementing CM for Carrick, but definitely not a replacement. Still better than Fellaini, though. I guess Darren Fletcher could provide them with options.

And I don't see how Mata could drastically improve their style of play unless United decide to drop their system of two strikers, and send Rooney away.

That is indeed true, but some people are trying to reason that we didn't challenge for the PL over the last 2 seasons because we built the team around our then most influential player (Mata), when that's not true. There are many, many other factors which affected our performances in the past two seasons but people are trying to use the fact that we built the team around Juan as the reason why we didn't really succeed in those two seasons which just isn't true IMO. Yes, the team is playing better now but it isn't solely because the side isn't built with Mata as its number 10, there are many other factors i.e. finally having a solid manager who has a long term plan, players maturing (Hazard & Oscar), brilliant squad depth, more balance in the AM strata (Hazard and Willian on each flank instead if Mazacar) etc.

I agree that Mata shouldn't be starting right now because players are outperforming him, but I don't like and disagree with how people are trying to attribute our failures in the PL over the past two seasons to Juan being our main man. It just isn't true.

No one is trying to blame Mata for the last two season's, in the first one he single handedly prevented us from fighting for 8th place with Liverpool and Fulham.

But when the reasoning to play him and build the team around him is "he was the best players in those two season's", then people will bring up just how poor we were as a team in 11/12 and inconsistent in 12/13. I mean Demba Ba was the best player in the Newcastle team that finished above us in Mata's first season, does that mean Demba has to be part of our new spine too?

I agree we've never built a team around him, maybe except with Rafa (I'm inclined to think Rafa did), but we made him our 'go-to' guy and the main star in the team, giving him plenty (if not all) freedom. Mata needs freedom, no defensive or pressing responsibilities and he clearly needs confidence for his game to thrive which he clearly doesn't have now. Attacking wise, Mata's always struggled with some certain kind of games (Southampton match is a testament for that, although people say he had a good match - which he did - he wasn't influential at all and the brightest side of his game is being influential with chances created, assists and goals). He slows down the tempo of the game and if a match isn't suited for that or we play a team that presses high (as we currently do), he'll struggle. He likes to play possession football where he has all time of the world to create his magic. Sometimes he doesn't need much time, but he needs to have the ball on his feet.

If we had a stronger pivot he wouldn't be much of a reliability, but we don't and we hadn't. If a player is slow, doesn't press, doesn't defend well, how can we deny he exposes the players behind him? And then you tell said player 'you don't need to do anything but create' and the exposition will be even bigger. How many players in the world have freedom to just create like he did? Not many. He'd be the best player in the world by far a few decades ago, but modern football requires everyone to help with everything. Pivot players have to be almost as good creating, passing, transitioning, finishing, and viewing the game, as they should tackle, press, protect the defense and offer coverage. Attacking players have to be able to press, to tackle, to reduce opposition's space, to recover possession. Defenders need to be skillful, and strikers need to have at least awareness about opponents when the opposition has the ball. If he doesn't add that facet to this game, he'll struggle in any top team in the world, but chances are he'll shine in second tier teams - that aren't used to his level of creativity and who don't have a bigger star in their squad.

RM and Barça have no place for him because they have the best players in the world. He doesn't fit Dortmund, he fits Bayern to a small extent, but he'd have fierce competition there too (and they simply don't need him, he isn't an improvement to their AM) and his slowness would be even more exposed in Bundesliga. He wouldn't play all matches at Arsenal or City (wouldn't displace Ozil or Silva), but I think he fits ManU perfectly. He doesn't fit Atletico and PSG really isn't a step up in his career and something tells me he wouldn't play by Ibra's side and shine. Should he go to Italy? Maybe where he fits better is Rafa's Napoli. He doesn't have space at Juve and the rest of Italian sides aren't worth mentioning.

Still he's one of the best players in the world, the thing is his style limits his options today. It's no coincidence we weren't competitive while he was THE GUY in our side. People love to use his stats, but don't they ask the most obvious question of all? How come a team with a guy with such stats ended so far from the major titles? Excuses will spout like flowers in the spring, but the truth is our defense and pivot continue to have EXACTLY the same guys. We haven't signed anyone there except Marco who's got injured. we worsened our striker force and the only position we strengthened was exactly his position and that hasn't much to do with Willian and Schurrle as much as it has with Oscar and Hazard growing, maturing and adapting better. That's another aspect people normally ignore. It was only natural for Oscar and Hazard to be much better players this season than they were last season. Of course they'd provide more results and even competition in our AM now than back then. So is it a coincidence that when a fiercer competition arose in the team in his position he lost space? I'm not saying it is, because I don't have the answer to that, but I'm not saying it isn't either because not being a Mourinho player is a bad (and easy) excuse. Sneijder wasn't exactly what many people would have called a Mourinho player and neither was Ozil... still their best football was played under Mourinho...

No one is trying to blame Mata for the last two season's, in the first one he single handedly prevented us from fighting for 8th place with Liverpool and Fulham.

But when the reasoning to play him and build the team around him is "he was the best players in those two season's", then people will bring up just how poor we were as a team in 11/12 and inconsistent in 12/13. I mean Demba Ba was the best player in the Newcastle team that finished above us in Mata's first season, does that mean Demba has to be part of our new spine too?

That's fair enough, but I'm not trying to reason that we should build our team around Mata. If anyone we should build our team around, it's Hazard, but he isn't at that stage in his career yet (consistently performing 9/10 in matches i.e. Messi, Ronaldo, Ribery etc. which I know he can reach if he carries on progressing). Right now it's more important for us to create the foundations of a great team which is what we're doing, and Mata hasn't performed for whatever reason (because Oscar is having a great season and because whilst he is being played, he's 90% being played in a position that diminishes his strengths massively - out wide right as an inside forward) so justifiably, he isn't our main player this season.

Still he's one of the best players in the world, the thing is his style limits his options today. It's no coincidence we weren't competitive while he was THE GUY in our side. People love to use his stats, but don't they ask the most obvious question of all? How come a team with a guy with such stats ended so far from the major titles? Excuses will spout like flowers in the spring, but the truth is our defense and pivot continue to have EXACTLY the same guys. We haven't signed anyone there except Marco who's got injured. we worsened our striker force and the only position we strengthened was exactly his position and that hasn't much to do with Willian and Schurrle as much as it has with Oscar and Hazard growing, maturing and adapting better. That's another aspect people normally ignore. It was only natural for Oscar and Hazard to be much better players this season than they were last season. Of course they'd provide more results and even competition in our AM now than back then. So is it a coincidence that when a fiercer competition arose in the team in his position he lost space? I'm not saying it is, because I don't have the answer to that, but I'm not saying it isn't either because not being a Mourinho player is a bad (and easy) excuse. Sneijder wasn't exactly what many people would have called a Mourinho player and neither was Ozil... still their best football was played under Mourinho...

Whilst I agree with the rest of your post, this is where we disagree to a certain extent - again as I said before, it's very unfair to basically blame Juan for us not being a very competitive side back then when there were other factors affecting our team i.e. managerial instability - AVB with his clueless self (Mata used to play wide left under him actually where he was still decent), Di Matteo and his inexperience, Rafa being appointed mid season... We had no solid system back then, every manager was basically building short term wise. Rafa was the only manager out of the three who managed to get a decent system going on towards the end of his time here - our team wasn't building for the future like we are now and we didn't have the squad depth we have now, and as I said in my earlier post players like Hazard & Oscar were not as matured as they are now - so obviously our team wasn't challenging back then but it certainly wasn't solely because we had a system that allowed Juan to do his thing without worrying too much about the defensive side of the game.

I believe he does not have to be our main guy for him to perform, but for me the main reason why he's not performing as much this season is simply because he's barely played in his best role, the number 10 role, and that's the difference between him, Ozil and Sneijder. Ozil and Sneijder are a shell of the players they are when they play out wide too (especially the former) so it's understandable to me why Mata is not producing his best form this year.

You're right in saying that the "not a Mourinho player" excuse is poor, I agree with you, but you also have to understand that he isn't playing as a number 10 this season and that is exactly why he hasn't showcased his greatness often - he still wouldn't produce the same amount of stats as he did when he indeed was the main guy but his general game and stats would still be respectable if he was played as the side's number 10 more often than not which is not happening.

I can at least understand though why Mourinho is playing him out wide most of the time but I don't agree with him - yeah it (sort of) masks the amount of defensive work he has to do but it negates his attacking play too much. He isn't as athletic as Hazard or Willian or Schurrle or even Oscar (who's better out wide than Mata by far IMO) so in my opinion it's useless. I understand that Mata leaves the spaces in between the pivot and himself too open but he's if he's working hard out wide I personally think it'd be better if he worked hard in the middle to close that gap. To get the best out of him it'd be better if he was flanked by any of the former 3 (preferably Hazard and Willian as I believe their link up play could be outstanding with a confident on form Mata in the middle) whilst having an anchorman like Mikel who will add defensive solidity whilst protecting the back four due to there being more spaces for the opposition to play in, especially in the middle of the park. Willian's and Hazard's work rate will also again add defensive solidity to the side thus making it a bit more balanced than having Mata out wide. If we were to play Mata this is how I think we should set up the team, providing Mata works hard in the middle as well as that's the only way it'd work whilst getting the best out of him.

Now I'm not advocating that this is how we should play or whatever because I like the Hazard - Oscar - Willian trio; my point is that if we are to play Mata that this is how we should play him if we want him to start having great games again whilst not being detrimental to the team as a whole as he'd also have defensive responsibility. Instead of him putting the effort in out wide it'd be better if that was done through the middle. It could work well against certain sides (especially those that sit deep). That's how I roughly feel about it any way.

PS - sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes, I'm quite sleepy! :P

RM and Barça have no place for him because they have the best players in the world. He doesn't fit Dortmund, he fits Bayern to a small extent, but he'd have fierce competition there too (and they simply don't need him, he isn't an improvement to their AM) and his slowness would be even more exposed in Bundesliga. He wouldn't play all matches at Arsenal or City (wouldn't displace Ozil or Silva), but I think he fits ManU perfectly. He doesn't fit Atletico and PSG really isn't a step up in his career and something tells me he wouldn't play by Ibra's side and shine. Should he go to Italy? Maybe where he fits better is Rafa's Napoli. He doesn't have space at Juve and the rest of Italian sides aren't worth mentioning.

This is not relevant, but he doesnt fit Bayern.

He wouldnt get a lick at Bayern as well. With Kroos, Gotze, Robben, Ribery, Muller and Thiago. Also, I dont think Bundesliga is as pace oriented as BPL is...

Agree with City/Arsenal statement, but most definitely disagree with United....

When have United actually featured a CAM? When have Moyes Everton featured a cam? United already have a hard time playing Kagawa on their team, how would Mata excel exactly?

The perfect team EPL wise would of been Tottenham prior to the signings of Lamela and Ericksen... He wouldnt have to track back much with their cms and would have more freedom like last season..

That's fair enough, but I'm not trying to reason that we should build our team around Mata. If anyone we should build our team around, it's Hazard, but he isn't at that stage in his career yet (consistently performing 9/10 in matches i.e. Messi, Ronaldo, Ribery etc. which I know he can reach if he carries on progressing). Right now it's more important for us to create the foundations of a great team which is what we're doing, and Mata hasn't performed for whatever reason (because Oscar is having a great season and because whilst he is being played, he's 90% being played in a position that diminishes his strengths massively - out wide right as an inside forward) so justifiably, he isn't our main player this season.

Whilst I agree with the rest of your post, this is where we disagree to a certain extent - again as I said before, it's very unfair to basically blame Juan for us not being a very competitive side back then when there were other factors affecting our team i.e. managerial instability - AVB with his clueless self (Mata used to play wide left under him actually where he was still decent), Di Matteo and his inexperience, Rafa being appointed mid season... We had no solid system back then, every manager was basically building short term wise. Rafa was the only manager out of the three who managed to get a decent system going on towards the end of his time here - our team wasn't building for the future like we are now and we didn't have the squad depth we have now, and as I said in my earlier post players like Hazard & Oscar were not as matured as they are now - so obviously our team wasn't challenging back then but it certainly wasn't solely because we had a system that allowed Juan to do his thing without worrying too much about the defensive side of the game.

I believe he does not have to be our main guy for him to perform, but for me the main reason why he's not performing as much this season is simply because he's barely played in his best role, the number 10 role, and that's the difference between him, Ozil and Sneijder. Ozil and Sneijder are a shell of the players they are when they play out wide too (especially the former) so it's understandable to me why Mata is not producing his best form this year.

You're right in saying that the "not a Mourinho player" excuse is poor, I agree with you, but you also have to understand that he isn't playing as a number 10 this season and that is exactly why he hasn't showcased his greatness often - he still wouldn't produce the same amount of stats as he did when he indeed was the main guy but his general game and stats would still be respectable if he was played as the side's number 10 more often than not which is not happening.

I can at least understand though why Mourinho is playing him out wide most of the time but I don't agree with him - yeah it (sort of) masks the amount of defensive work he has to do but it negates his attacking play too much. He isn't as athletic as Hazard or Willian or Schurrle or even Oscar (who's better out wide than Mata by far IMO) so in my opinion it's useless. I understand that Mata leaves the spaces in between the pivot and himself too open but he's if he's working hard out wide I personally think it'd be better if he worked hard in the middle to close that gap. To get the best out of him it'd be better if he was flanked by any of the former 3 (preferably Hazard and Willian as I believe their link up play could be outstanding with a confident on form Mata in the middle) whilst having an anchorman like Mikel who will add defensive solidity whilst protecting the back four due to there being more spaces for the opposition to play in, especially in the middle of the park. Willian's and Hazard's work rate will also again add defensive solidity to the side thus making it a bit more balanced than having Mata out wide. If we were to play Mata this is how I think we should set up the team, providing Mata works hard in the middle as well as that's the only way it'd work whilst getting the best out of him.

Now I'm not advocating that this is how we should play or whatever because I like the Hazard - Oscar - Willian trio; my point is that if we are to play Mata that this is how we should play him if we want him to start having great games again whilst not being detrimental to the team as a whole as he'd also have defensive responsibility. Instead of him putting the effort in out wide it'd be better if that was done through the middle. It could work well against certain sides (especially those that sit deep). That's how I roughly feel about it any way.

PS - sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes, I'm quite sleepy! :P

Spot on, sweetie. I was really unfortunate in that sentence. I think he can't be blamed, but my main point is that we praise so much his stats, but to give him the freedom to have that sort of stat came with a high price. It isn't his fault for many reasons (although it IS a limitation of his game) and our pivot only made it worse, meaning that if we had a strong pivot, maybe we could afford to play him centered as you suggested without paying this price. I have no doubts about his talent, geniality, and quality. I have a lot of doubts on how to make it work for us currently (and as I said I also see problems in other teams for him too).

The only reason I think Mourinho plays him more wide than centered is because the FBs are likely to provide better cover for him than our pivot (especially if Lamps is there). I really just don't get why he can't play well in the wing anymore... It's not even about where he plays better or not, but why he can't play well there at all. I don't expect him to have the same stats in the past in the system Mourinho has, but I somehow expected him to give us more than what he's been giving, which is why I said I guess he has confidence issues right now and it's affecting his game, in addition to everything you've said.

And I agree with you about Oscar in the wing. Oscar used to play poorly there, average at best, but this season he's had some very good matches playing there. So if he can play well there and Mata can't and Mata play well centered the question will always remain, but I guess José isn't willing to expose our pivot even more.

This is not relevant, but he doesnt fit Bayern.

He wouldnt get a lick at Bayern as well. With Kroos, Gotze, Robben, Ribery, Muller and Thiago. Also, I dont think Bundesliga is as pace oriented as BPL is...

Agree with City/Arsenal statement, but most definitely disagree with United....

When have United actually featured a CAM? When have Moyes Everton featured a cam? United already have a hard time playing Kagawa on their team, how would Mata excel exactly?

The perfect team EPL wise would of been Tottenham prior to the signings of Lamela and Ericksen... He wouldnt have to track back much with their cms and would have more freedom like last season..

Thing is I think little from United could continue to work. ManU have been a mystery to me in the last few seasons. It makes no sense for a team like that to have worked so well under Fergie. Their team so unbalanced and Moyes only made it worse.

As for Bayern, I consider a less extent because of Guardiola - Mata is very much a Pep player, the same way people say he isn't a Mourinho player (both things are true until a certain point imo). And I agree (and even said) he doesn't have space in Bayern, they don't need him. Bundesliga isn't as pace oriented as EPL, but they're more (and very) objective, so everything happens very fast, although they might not have as much pace.

Mata still has an extremely important role to play in this team even if he is no longer a first choice starter or the main man. Oscar is not going to play every game and we need someone world class to fill the gap. Juan will continue to get plenty of opportunities but he has two choices: Continue to improve as a footballer and adapt to Jose's game or leave the club.

Mata is not at fault for us not playing well in the league last 2 seasons. The coaches that left our already weak pivot exposed are.

Remember how we complained a lot last two seasons how the space between our pivot and attacking 3 was too much? How we complained that there is no link up between the pivot and the AM's?

It doesn't happen as often as before again because mourinho has tried to fix that.

The AM didn't need to do defensive work with benitez or RDM. But under mourinho, who doesn't like to lose the midfield battle, he needed the AM to do a lot more defensively to help the weak pivot and oscar is the best at that.

But we are not the first team to try out high pressure tactics.

Intermilan under mourinho was one

Barcelona under guardiola was one

Bayern and dortmund last season were perfect and depended on it a lot.

Athletico madrid do it a lot. That's why they finished us 4-1 in the supercup and we couldn't create any chance to score.

High pressure controls the match with and without the ball. That is the way to dominate in europe.

No one is saying Mata is at fault for our past seasons but the system we used under the coaches are at fault.

why do you keep on insisting that we should send Mata to United? I honestly don't understand how that would be a win win situation for us if we get Rooney in return.

Mata would significantly improve United and that is not what we want.Just because we plan on taking Rooney does not mean we have to give Mata so that both parties benefit.

It'd be better to sell Mata to PSG for 35m+ and then use part of that money to sign Rooney.