Juan Mata

Severinb

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=tacticsandanalysis&id=2463

A very good article explaining why mata does not work in mourinho system

TBF, think most of the points mentioned there has been discussed quite a lot in the forum. And not too sure if Mata has started 8 of 11 league games this season in the No.10 role. Pretty sure most of the time he started on RW and then rotating positions others in the No.10 position.

TBF, think most of the points mentioned there has been discussed quite a lot in the forum. And not too sure if Mata has started 8 of 11 league games this season in the No.10 role. Pretty sure most of the time he started on RW and then rotating positions others in the No.10 position.

still just a few days ago there were still people questioning why the POTY for the last two years has been put aside by Mourinho... implying that Mourinho didn't handle him well. If everyone knows all the reasons this article shows (and the another one posted a few days ago) and acknowledges them, then it's really more hard to understand why we have the same discussion for the past 5 months...

Also check his heat maps and action maps on Squawka and you'll be surprised to find out he's indeed passed more time in the middle than in the wing, despite where he's started... he just naturally drifts inside.

still just a few days ago there were still people questioning why the POTY for the last two years has been put aside by Mourinho... implying that Mourinho didn't handle him well. If everyone knows all the reasons this article (and the another one posted a few days ago) and acknowledges it, then it's really more hard to understand why we have the same discussion for the past 5 months...

Also check his heat maps and action maps on Squawka and you'll be surprised to find out he's indeed passed more time in the middle than in the wing, despite where he's started... he just naturally drifts inside.

That I can see. It's just I dispute the stat in the article about Mata starting in the No.10 role 8 times when it has not been the case. He drifts in there, agree, but starting there, no.

That I can see. It's just I dispute the stat in the article about Mata starting in the No.10 role 8 times when it has not been the case. He drifts in there, agree, but starting there, no.

but in the end what matters isn't where he plays the most? He plays in the wing this season much more than he's played there since AVB's first system, but I feel it's been slightly exaggerated how he hasn't played in his more natural position. He has, but as the article explains well, he doesn't well the system and they came to the same conclusion I came a few days ago: he doesn't have space in any of the big teams right now, his style isn't that fitting in modern football and the league that seems to embrace his style better right now is Italian, but he has no space at Juve (both me and the author talked about his chances on Napoli though). I've posted all that just a couple of days ago if memory serves. He's in a difficult position with us now, but he'd be in a difficult position in most top teams now as well because of his style and the demands of modern footie. Which is all a shame.

but in the end what matters isn't where he plays the most? He plays in the wing this season much more than he's played there since AVB's first system, but I feel it's been slightly exaggerated how he hasn't played in his more natural position. He has, but as the article explains well, he doesn't well the system and they came to the same conclusion I came a few days ago: he doesn't have space in any of the big teams right now, his style isn't that fitting in modern football and the league that seems to embrace his style better right now is Italian, but he has no space at Juve (both me and the author talked about his chances on Napoli though). I've posted all that just a couple of days ago if memory serves. He's in a difficult position with us now, but he'd be in a difficult position in most top teams now as well because of his style and the demands of modern footie. Which is all a shame.

I don't like saying his style cannot works in big teams (he probably can replace Silva/Ozil) but I agree that there isn't a need/vacancy for an am in big teams, I have not watched them play but probably he can play for PSG

I don't like saying his style cannot works in big teams (he probably can replace Silva/Ozil) but I agree that there isn't a need/vacancy for an am in big teams, I have not watched them play but probably he can play for PSG

thing is I don't consider Arsenal or PSG as top teams. I mean the very top, he doesn't fit and the ones just after those - where I do include Arsenal and PSG, there's as much competition for him as with us. The point isn't that he can't play... he can, but I think nowhere he would have the same privileges he's had under Rafa. Teams just can't afford a guy with as much freedom unless said guy is named Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi. His style while the finest around there (although I think Ozil is a better player than him, Mata is classier in his plays), seems to be also difficult to afford given some of his limitations. I'm not totally convinced he can't work it around and improve some aspects of his game and turn this around. He has the hard part, which is the innate talent, vision and intelligence. Adapting to more demanding roles is easy compared to having those things, especially in the extent he has.