Juan Mata

Severinb

All very nice, but the question remains where does Mata actually play right now?

To my mind, he's probably THIRD choice in the number 10 spot behind Oscar and Willian. He's probably second choice on the right wing behind Willian. So what role does he play? Impact sub? He's not that type of player. He's the type you have to build an entire team around and let him dictate the tempo.

It's easy to say he makes us weaker in defence, but that's too simplistic. We press high up the pitch and that isn't just about defence, it's about creating chances for us to score as well. It's a dimension of the offence that is often ignored but it helps us control the tempo of games even without the ball.

So you're left with a player who is worth about £40 million to the right team who doesn't fit our sytem in his best role, doesn't really fit it on the wing and isn't the type of 'plan B' option you'd want off the bench. That's a £40 million asset on a team that needs to acquire players in other positions both in the short and medium-term. Sentiment aside (because the arguments for keeping Mata aren't based on where he fits in a tactical sense) there's a strong case for cashing in.

I will answer your question later, it's all academic though as to where I would play Mata, José selects the players that he feels will get a result and that team will change dependant on the opposition, the fact he has used 27 player's this season tells you that he isn't afraid to use all the tools at his disposal but will also chop and change when he deems fit and this is the first point I was trying to make in that the masses on here who are quick to hang Mata out to dry can only look one way, they don't deviate left or right but state things that are foremost in their minds - that being the current form of the 3 amigo's but then seem to have short term memories as the team has been largely inconsistent this season, we are currently going through a purple patch (long may that continue) but that is also down to solid foundations that are allowing our offensive players to perform which was certainly not happening pre Liverpool, let's give some credit to the defensive unit too not just our 'now' in form high energy attackers who lets be honest have not been on it consistently, however I cannot disagree with you that at present Mata is 3rd choice.

To drum home my point about about the blinkered, José has been receiving a few well many 'pelters' on here pre Liverpool, all of a sudden we are playing well getting results in the process and hey lets play these players forever and a world class player is no longer good enough cus he doesn't fit in this system this team bollocks, they say Mata slows down the play but so does Mikel but José is selecting him - you do the maths?!

This may surprise you but for the short term I would continue to use the same players, they have hit a run of form - if it ain't broke don't fix it, nonetheless things change very quickly in football and I will be intrigued into which team José selects for the upcoming Manchester games. Think it's already been said that Mata needs to follow Dave's example and get his head down and work hard thus proving the doubters wrong.

Now onto Juan and to answer your question, I have never understood why we play with 4 defenders and 1 or 2 DM when playing at home against most teams in the PL that just come and park the bus, I would operate a 3-4-1-2 system with Mata as the '1' with Oscar playing as an unorthodox striker and with Hazard plus Willian/Shirley operating the flanks in the four. This system isn't designed to 'shoehorn' Mata but to get us creating chances, playing exciting stuff and getting the opposition to come out after we hopefully score! Away fixtures would be slightly different but many sides are going defensive against us so Mata would start for me too, I wouldn't play this system or play Mata every week but tweak personnel and formation to suit. One thing I will add is that if we had a striker in form like Suarez, Juan would have an outlet for his creative genius and we wouldn't be discussing his departure or whether he fits in or not. As I say it's very much immaterial as José wont play my way but I look forward to the coming months especially to see how things develop.

they say Mata slows down the play but so does Mikel but José is selecting him - you do the maths?!

There aren't any other players available in Mikel's position (Lamps injured, Van Ginkel injured, Essien done) and we're looking to buy a new player in his position.

it's very much immaterial as José wont play my way but I look forward to the coming months especially to see how things develop.

So your answer to where he fits is to suggest we radically change the way we play at home?

I agree that we look better defensively, but I think that comes from all 10 outfield players doing their jobs better having learnt them in the months since Mourinho arrived. I just think that Mourinho wants us to play a very specific way and I don't see how Mata fits into that in the long-term.

There aren't any other players available in Mikel's position (Lamps injured, Van Ginkel injured, Essien done) and we're looking to buy a new player in his position.

So your answer to where he fits is to suggest we radically change the way we play at home?

I agree that we look better defensively, but I think that comes from all 10 outfield players doing their jobs better having learnt them in the months since Mourinho arrived. I just think that Mourinho wants us to play a very specific way and I don't see how Mata fits into that in the long-term.

No, my answer is to change the way we play against the multitude and increasing sides that we play home and away that are sitting back and waiting for a counter attack or set peice to get a result. It may have slipped past many minds cus of recent performances but we have been disappointing for most of the season, agreed and I've said as much before things are taking shape - I along with a few like minded and patient individuals have repeatedly been steadfast about Jose, I have always had 100% faith in him which included the shaky times before Xmas and my belief in him want differ if we encounter another rocky patch, much cant be said about others who like to voice or change their opinion dependent on how well or poor we are playing.

You and others may well be right that Mata just won't function in this team or José's plans going forward, I however feel it's premature to come to that conclusion, my belief is that we will need Mata long before the season is out. I get it about selling him to fund area's elsewhere but what happens if we get injuries or loss of form to key players in his position? To counter that if we had a striker in form where Mata can get his teeth into then we would be scoring regularly and much doesn't/wouldn't need to change, you still have a unit that we will work hard for the end result and if that means benching Mata after a period of time so be it.

No, my answer is to change the way we play against the multitude and increasing sides that we play home and away that are sitting back and waiting for a counter attack or set peice to get a result. It may have slipped past many minds cus of recent performances but we have been disappointing for most of the season,

To my mind we've actually been improving as the season has gone on which isn't at all surprising when you think about it. The players would obviously take time to learn Mourinho's system and methods, but Jose would also need time to work out which players he can trust and which players might not be able to fit in. So you see guys like De Bruyne marginalised whilst others like Azpi come to the fore.

You and others may well be right that Mata just won't function in this team or José's plans going forward, I however feel it's premature to come to that conclusion, my belief is that we will need Mata long before the season is out. I get it about selling him to fund area's elsewhere but what happens if we get injuries or loss of form to key players in his position? To counter that if we had a striker in form where Mata can get his teeth into then we would be scoring regularly and much doesn't/wouldn't need to change, you still have a unit that we will work hard for the end result and if that means benching Mata after a period of time so be it.

I don't know if you keep a £35 million player around when he doesn't fit the system just in case a player gets injured. I actually think he might be FOURTH choice for the number 10 spot (behind Oscar, Willian and Hazard who played there against Southampton) so we probably could do with an additional wide player instead of another player whose best position is 10. The question is whether there are players available that we could purchase and there probably aren't at this time, so Mata won't go anywhere until the summer. The concern there is that his value may continue to drop.

According to the latest, Mata is being linked to Real.

Oh boy, what a signing he would be for Real.

Set to have showdown talks with Jose, soon.

Well, good luck to him competing with Isco and Alonso/di Maria who are much better suited to the way Real is playing.

Really you believe every bullshit you read without thinking?

Well, good luck to him competing with Isco and Alonso/di Maria who are much better suited to the way Real is playing.

Really you believe every bullshit you read without thinking?

If Mata goes to Real, Isco stays, but Di maria & Alonso might be gone.

That´s the reason Real supposedly wants to sign him.

As for me thinking about it. I just posted what I have read. Can you think it over ?

Gonna be a similar story like with us.

Those two do not want to extend their contract, I read. Therefore, Ancelot just might prefer to play Mata, providing he goes there.

All wrong now. Alonso agreed to extend his contract. So another twist to the story here.

If Mata goes to Real, Isco stays, but Di maria & Alonso might be gone.

That´s the reason Real supposedly wants to sign him.

As for me thinking about it. I just posted what I have read. Can you think it over ?

Will not happen because Ancelotti already said that he chose to let Ozil go instead of Di Maria because Di Maria offers pace and more directness. Mata's playing style is similar to Ozil's so it would not make sense for him to make that move. Those rumours are rubbish. Probably no truth in it.

Will not happen because Ancelotti already said that he chose to let Ozil go instead of Di Maria because Di Maria offers pace and more directness. Mata's playing style is similar to Ozil's so it would not make sense for him to make that move. Those rumours are rubbish. Probably no truth in it.

it´s just a rumor. I just wanted to spice up your life though.

I for one wouldn't cry if Juan left. It would be for the betterment of his career, at the end of the day. He's a very good footballer and I hope he makes it to the World Cup. I don't think, on the evidence provided in the opportunities he has had this season, that he currently warrants a place in the Spain squad, so I hope his achievements over the prior 12 months will also be taken into consideration.