Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

I think he fought for a spot and lost. Can't blame someone for wanting to play. Who exactly was he going to replace in the squad?

Never did, never had the mentality of azpi.

I agree with the only place to be. Screw that guy, and it would be the same for lukaku.

He ain't going to be the main striker next season. He has to fight for it and prove it like many players have done this season.

If he's not up to that task then he will be sold/loan.

I don't get the feeling that Jose rated him from the start and I wouldn't be surprised if theres substance to the rumours. It will be a real shame because he never got to fulfill his dream of playing for his beloved club. if we must sell him it has to be abroad. Another potential repeat of the Sturridge gaffe will be unbearable.

I grew with this. I definitely think there's something to these rumors.

We're 100% sure that a top class striker will be bought so will Lukaku be content with being 2nd or even 3rd choice if we retain Eto'o? Knowing that he could be first choice at numerous other pretty big clubs I'd say no.

I'd absolutely love for him to be a monster for us and be first choice but I still don think he's quite ready yet for that. He'll still get plenty of playing time here even if he's not first choice.

Under no circumstances should we even consider selling him to a PL side.

Louder and louder rumors of him being sold, there goes the Chelsea fan+wanting to become a legend aim. Just to show you guys that sentimental only exist for the fans AND NOT THE PLAYERS or the club or the manager. We as a club will do in the best of our interest to move forward and sometime that mean making unpopular decisions like this. So like I said don't get too attracted to any player at the club until they have been here for at least 4-5 years because most of them will just come and go, no point getting your hope up.

The thing with Lukaku is that he is too laid back imo, having watch him in numerous games this season he is not the type of striker that try to win the ball back but rather waiting for others to create for him. He got a good finish but that is about it really, no aspect of his game is world class yet. And from a young age if you don't show enough potential you just have to go. For any youngster who wants to make it big at a club of Chelsea side, they need to REALLY SHOW IT FROM EARLY or being signed for huge fee. And by show it early I am talking about Varane style promise. The one that will catch attention of the football world not just promising one like Bertrands. Hell even Sturridge got overlooked despite scoring like what, 10 goals in AVB's time? I know we eventually regretted it but imo he would have never fit in with Jose anyway because he is NOT HARD WORKING.

Btw just an interesting though, if Courtois and Lukaku both leave this summer we will actually have Hazard left as the main Belgian in our team, kind of surprising and unexpected considering the promises they all show 2 years ago.

Louder and louder rumors of him being sold, there goes the Chelsea fan+wanting to become a legend aim. Just to show you guys that sentimental only exist for the fans AND NOT THE PLAYERS or the club or the manager. We as a club will do in the best of our interest to move forward and sometime that mean making unpopular decisions like this. So like I said don't get too attracted to any player at the club until they have been here for at least 4-5 years because most of them will just come and go, no point getting your hope up.

The thing with Lukaku is that he is too laid back imo, having watch him in numerous games this season he is not the type of striker that try to win the ball back but rather waiting for others to create for him. He got a good finish but that is about it really, no aspect of his game is world class yet. And from a young age if you don't show enough potential you just have to go. For any youngster who wants to make it big at a club of Chelsea side, they need to REALLY SHOW IT FROM EARLY or being signed for huge fee. And by show it early I am talking about Varane style promise. The one that will catch attention of the football world not just promising one like Bertrands. Hell even Sturridge got overlooked despite scoring like what, 10 goals in AVB's time? I know we eventually regretted it but imo he would have never fit in with Jose anyway because he is NOT HARD WORKING.

Btw just an interesting though, if Courtois and Lukaku both leave this summer we will actually have Hazard left as the main Belgian in our team, kind of surprising and unexpected considering the promises they all show 2 years ago.

Good shout. The only thing I might dispute is that Lukaku can still learn, and Mourinho, given a few weeks with him could possibly mould him into proper Chels format

The problem is Lukaku isn't really improving.

Not sure if that's a problem, mainly because it isn't that true. He has improved over the course of the season but he had a drop in form before his injury which is almost certainly down to being overplayed by Everton. Since he came back from injury he's very much getting back into form and playing well.

I'm not asking him to be sold. If you read again, I want him to be second choice and be used like Torres. But I do feel that he won't be able to improve his weaknesses enough and will only ever be good enough to be considered 2nd choice and so if someone comes in with a huge offer for a second choice striker, we should definitely consider it. Similar to Mata really, doesn't mean he's a bad player, just doesn't fit the requirements of what Chelsea need in a striker and is therefore expendable if and only if the right offer comes in.

I don't see the improvement in some key areas. He's scoring goals no doubt. He'll always score goals, I'll never doubt that but I don't see the improvement.

His weaknesses when he joined were:

• Poor first touch
  • Poor at holding the ball up
  • Poor in the air
  • Poor defensive workrate
  • Poor offensive awareness

Those are still his weaknesses. Doesn't matter if he's young, it's been 2 years and everyone will still say those are still his weaknesses. Mind you, this doesn't mean he's a bad player. I just don't think his strengths align with what Jose and Chelsea require in a first choice striker.

I think he'd be great as second choice striker and be used like Torres is at the moment against teams that allow space in behind where he'll only have to call upon his strengths. Similar to how Schurrle fits in our AM band. He's not good on the ball and struggles when involved in the build-up but is completely different player off the ball, running into spaces and utilizing his strengths.

I also realize no player is perfect. Everyone has weaknesses and it's easy to write-up ten paragraphs about every player and their weakness. So my point isn't really that he has weaknesses or he hasn't improved in those areas. I bring up those weaknesses because unfortunately to fit in this Chelsea team, he needs those specific qualities. So when I say he hasn't improved, I am speaking in relative to what I feel we need in a first choice striker.

In other teams, they may not care about a striker who can hold the ball up, win aerial duels consistently, link up and get 10 assists every season. These teams would sell prime Drogba for prime Torres. Nothing wrong with that, doesn't mean they are bad players, just means they aren't good fits. Similar to Mata, just cause we sold him doesn't make him a bad player. He just doesn't fit imo. The only way he'll ever be good enough to be first choice is if he improves drastically in the areas that I listed. So to project his future, I'm focused on those specific attributes and I haven't seen much improvement there over 2 years, hence I don't feel he'll ever be turn those into strengths required for Chelsea.

Second choice striker against teams that allow space. Impact sub when you need a goal. That's what I project for him as far it goes for Chelsea. And based on that, that player isn't worth 30M for Chelsea specifically. As in, you wouldn't want Jose to spend 30M for a second choice striker. Depending on playing style, he might be worth that on other teams, so if an extraordinary offer comes we should definitely consider it.

Even Shogun said pretty much the same thing about him

I'm not asking him to be sold. If you read again, I want him to be second choice and be used like Torres. But I do feel that he won't be able to improve his weaknesses enough and will only ever be good enough to be considered 2nd choice and so if someone comes in with a huge offer for a second choice striker, we should definitely consider it. Similar to Mata really, doesn't mean he's a bad player, just doesn't fit the requirements of what Chelsea need in a striker and is therefore expendable if and only if the right offer comes in.

And this "he won't improve" is based on what? His situation right now is nothing like mata. We were overloaded in AM position whereas we don't have a good striker, (etoo has just started to gel with the team but even he is barely a stop gap and would be at max useful for one more year). Selling lukaku would mean buying not only a world class striker but also a 2nd striker. Also mata actually got a chance to prove hinself to be apt to fit jose's system but he could not, hence he was sold. Lukaku has not been given that.

So he is anything but EXPENDABLE.

Now coming to his weaknesses. His hold up play is a lot better. Infact all u have to do is watch his goal last week to see how much his hold up play and his play back to the goal has improved.

His headers and defensive work in setpieces are definitely one to improve.

His first touch has definitely improved massively. Its weird u think that it has not.

As for poor offensive awareness, it will improve with time. But his movement is brilliant.again please watch his goal last week against swansea.

His finishing is brilliant. He is at the right pkace at the right time which is very important for a striker.

Nothing u have said is not impossible to improve specially when workibg with the best manager in the world.

And this "he won't improve" is based on what? His situation right now is nothing like mata. We were overloaded in AM position whereas we don't have a good striker, (etoo has just started to gel with the team but even he is barely a stop gap and would be at max useful for one more year). Selling lukaku would mean buying not only a world class striker but also a 2nd striker. Also mata actually got a chance to prove hinself to be apt to fit jose's system but he could not, hence he was sold. Lukaku has not been given that.

So he is anything but EXPENDABLE.

Now coming to his weaknesses. His hold up play is a lot better. Infact all u have to do is watch his goal last week to see how much his hold up play and his play back to the goal has improved.

His headers and defensive work in setpieces are definitely one to improve.

His first touch has definitely improved massively. Its weird u think that it has not.

As for poor offensive awareness, it will improve with time. But his movement is brilliant.again please watch his goal last week against swansea.

His finishing is brilliant. He is at the right pkace at the right time which is very important for a striker.

Nothing u have said is not impossible to improve specially when workibg with the best manager in the world.

I'm not asking him to be sold just to get rid of him. Of course a good enough offer has to be there to allow us to buy replacements. And by saying second choice at Chelsea I don't mean he would be second choice at the moment. I mean he would be an IDEAL second choice striker in a competent strikeforce. Of course if next season we are going into the season with Torres, Ba and Lukaku, there is no way in hell I'd say he's second choice among those players. But I would say, that's not the ideal strikerforce for Chelsea to be able to compete with the best in Europe.

I can understand the feeling that he could improve, but to believe that I would expected to see these improvements over the past 2 years. Since I didn't, hence why I reached the conclusions I did. If he had shown improvements here, I would be busting a nut waiting for him because then the potential would be scary. I mean can you imagine a biggest, stronger, faster Drogba.

We'll never agree because you clearly feel he's improved while I feel the opposite, but good discussion :)

I'm not asking him to be sold just to get rid of him. Of course a good enough offer has to be there to allow us to buy replacements. And by saying second choice at Chelsea I don't mean he would be second choice at the moment. I mean he would be an IDEAL second choice striker in a competent strikeforce. Of course if next season we are going into the season with Torres, Ba and Lukaku, there is no way in hell I'd say he's second choice among those players. But I would say, that's not the ideal strikerforce for Chelsea to be able to compete with the best in Europe.

I can understand the feeling that he could improve, but to believe that I would expected to see these improvements over the past 2 years. Since I didn't, hence why I reached the conclusions I did. If he had shown improvements here, I would be busting a nut waiting for him because then the potential would be scary. I mean can you imagine a biggest, stronger, faster Drogba.

We'll never agree because you clearly feel he's improved while I feel the opposite, but good discussion :)

There is definite improvement in one or two of his flaws. His first and his play back to the goal.

But like I said before, his headers are poor and his header winning ability from gks is horrendous.

Anyways, I think u r missing my main point. Suppose we get an offer of 30mil for lukaku, and we sell him, but the market at this moment even for a second striker is so expensive. And who would that be? Another BA-ish signing of a player who has reached his peak and has no ceiling. Lukaku on the other hand does have that potential and ceiling. With him it would be worth while to take a risk of making him our 2nd striker for a couoke of seasons and see how his development woukd be. Cos even after 2 years, lukaku's price would barely go down and there is a chance that he might simply go on to be tge next big thing.

Anyway lets agree to disagree

He's 20, ofcourse he will improve... He will never be a silky player but that doesn't mean he can't perfect his finishing or learn how to use his body and become a goal machine.

It's all speculation as of now. The question is will he settle in being 2nd choice for us for a few seasons or will we see him reach his peak elsewhere.