Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Few Everton fans I know have been saying he hasn't really improved since the start of the season. To quickly summarise what they've said:

- Frustrating in most games but will look good on MOTD because he's scored

- Doesn't really fit into their system unless they play direct

- Always trying to play for himself. ie not making clever runs or positioning himself that will create space for his teammates.

- Often not involved in their build up, and is inconsistent on the ball when he gets it

However they can't stress enough that he's only 20, can improve and be really good in the RIGHT system. Is our system the right system for Romelu though? That and his flaws make me a bit worried about his future here. You can say he's only young and will improve, but how often do you see a young player develop dramatically in terms of footballing intelligence and technical ability?

Just out of curiosity. without hindsight, who here would have kept Sturridge at the expense of Lukaku. Basically who rated the 11/12 AVB Sturridge as a better player and striker than Lukaku.

I rated him better than Lukaku - it's fairly obvious that from early age Sturridge had a better first touch; technique; faster; better passing technique etc - Lukaku has the capability of physically mauling defenders and he is very quick; obviously his heading is better than Sturridge but other than that he needs to work a lot to reach the same level. I don't even think Lukaku is better at holding up the ball than Sturridge at this point due to his bad first touch but he will win a hell lot more aerial duels than Sturridge.

The problem for CFC is that we don't really need someone to win aerial duels since keeping it on the ground is where our strength lays at the moment.

Regardless of that Lukaku is a bright young man and should be given a run in the squad, fact is that I thought and still think it was a mistake to loan him out. Having Lukaku and Eto'o would have been infinitely better than Torres/Ba being Eto'o's alternatives.

He can score 20 goals every season for all he does, we will still sign a Cavani/Costa and he will be benched

ofcourse he will be our 2nd striker. Jose wants to make chelsea a top european team and for that we will sign a world class striker. But that still does not mean lukaku who has more goals than any of our current crop of strikers will be sold.

He's better than Torres and Ba, not massively bothered if he goes though if we could get £25m for him, still would like to see him given a chance here. But unless all three of our current strikers go he wont get it, we will likely (and need to) sign a top striker, Eto'o/Torres are the most likely to stay and for Mourinho they'll be 2nd choice behind the new striker, likely leaving Lukaku with the same oppurtunities Ba has had this season.

He's better than Torres and Ba, not massively bothered if he goes though if we could get £25m for him, still would like to see him given a chance here. But unless all three of our current strikers go he wont get it, we will likely (and need to) sign a top striker, Eto'o/Torres are the most likely to stay and for Mourinho they'll be 2nd choice behind the new striker, likely leaving Lukaku with the same oppurtunities Ba has had this season.

EXPLAIN please ,,, if we sell him for £25 mill .... who are we going to get better for that money ??

Personally I think Lukaku is one of the most frustrating players to watch. One moment you love him, the other moment you wished he was playing for the opposition.

There are aspects of his game that still need development and I agree that his age is factor we need to take into account. The question I ask myself regularly is “have those aspects improved enough over the past 4 years since he has been a professional player to have any hope that he will be able to reach the level required for Chelsea?”

I guess only time will tell, but from my perspective if you’re playing for a top 8 team in the premier league at the age of 20 and scoring like he is doing that makes you far from being an average player, regardless of the fact that he will ever become “world-class”.

EXPLAIN please ,,, if we sell him for £25 mill .... who are we going to get better for that money ??

Jay Rodriguez - scores goals, works his bollocks off in a high pressing game, good on the ball, English.

Loic Remy - scores goals.

Not saying they're definitely better, but worth a look.