The Tuchel Thread

Jase

1 hour ago, Strike said:

The annoying thing before the last two games is there's a regular theme amongst the draws of conceding late, poorly defended goals having not taken chances to kill teams off (Burnley, Everton, Brighton) and the Man Utd draw was a gifted goal and then an almighty effort to try and win the game thereafter. It felt like a theme that at least could be worked on and attempt to iron out but then the last 2 performances (3 if you count Madrid at home) cast a different shadow entirely on our home form this season. 

We have to become more clinical at both ends of the pitch. It's a difficult balance because we have had key injuries/covid at awkward times this season and a ridiculous amount of games to navigate but I think moving forward next season Tuchel needs to try and rotate the side less. The early rounds of the domestic cup and a couple of the Champions League games against weaker opponents are fine to freshen things up, but I think it needs to be a core of about 14 players who between them will regularly play the rest of the games. Long term injuries to Chilwell and James haven't helped this season and hopefully they stay fitter and play a lot more next season but we need that continuity across the back line which we seem to have lost more and more as the season has wore on.

Similar with the attack. It's not a coincidence that we've looked more potent and more dangerous recently when playing Werner, Havertz and Mount because I believe currently it's the strongest attack and the most fluid. They were the regular trio last season and seem used to playing with one another. 

22 hours ago, Tomo said:

I'm convinced he threw that to keep Arteta in a job.

Pep use to do exactly the same with Ole when he didn't (desperately) need the points.

Would you rather Arsenal finish in top 4 or Europa? As opposed to United or Spurs..

Personally not sure what would be the better outcome.

On 02/04/2022 at 17:01, Vesper said:

Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel splits from his former journalist wife Sissi after 13 years of marriage

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10679845/Chelsea-boss-Thomas-Tuchel-splits-former-journalist-wife-Sissi-13-years-marriage.html

Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel has split from his wife, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

While facing the fallout from the Government's sanctions on Roman Abramovich, the club's Russian oligarch owner, Tuchel has also been dealing with the collapse of his 13-year marriage.

His wife Sissi began divorce proceedings last week, with friends saying that 'all avenues are exhausted' when it comes to hopes of a reconciliation.

'Sissi and Thomas have tried to avoid splitting but in the end there was no other way,' said a source.

'It is very sad and now it is all about making sure their daughters are the top priority. Papers were lodged last week to get the divorce under way.'

Former journalist Mrs Tuchel moved to Britain in August, seven months after Tuchel, 48, joined Chelsea from the French team Paris Saint-Germain (PSG).

While facing the fallout from the Government's sanctions on Roman Abramovich, the club's Russian oligarch owner, Tuchel has also been dealing with the collapse of his 13-year marriage. Pictured: Thomas and Sissi

He initially stayed in a hotel before the family set up home in Cobham, Surrey, near Chelsea's training ground.

Tuchel, who is reportedly paid £7million a year, now faces a multi-million-pound divorce deal. His wife gave up her job at the German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung to bring up their family, so may be entitled to a slice of his future earnings as well as up to half of his current fortune. Sources say the couple are determined to keep the divorce amicable.

Just ten months ago, Mrs Tuchel was seen running across the pitch at Porto's Estadio do Dragao before leaping into her husband's arms after Chelsea secured a 1-0 Champions League victory over Manchester City.

While manager of PSG, Tuchel and his family lived in the upmarket Hauts-de-Seine district of Paris. Mrs Tuchel, 46, has been credited with helping her husband to excel during a managerial career that has seen him win a clutch of trophies in Germany, France and England.

'Sissi is no fool, she isn't your archetypal footballer's wife, she is a clever woman,' said the source.

Tuchel has been praised for the way in which he has coped with the restrictions placed on Chelsea after Abramovich was sanctioned following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

As a new owner is sought, the club cannot sell tickets for games, sign players or give new contracts to existing players. Tuchel, whose team was thrashed at home by Brentford yesterday, did not respond to a request for comment.

Wasn't aware of this. Has to be especially tough to go through this.  Even without a club crisis in the background.

10 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Would you rather Arsenal finish in top 4 or Europa? As opposed to United or Spurs..

For me, none of them are ambitious/well run enough to take advantage of it and kick on anyway so meh.

If pushed I'll say Arsenal because of how secure it will make Arteta.

16 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

I would rather Spurs because Levy will not increase the transfer budget for making top 4, but both United and and Arsenal will. 

7 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

I would rather Spurs because Levy will not increase the transfer budget for making top 4, but both United and and Arsenal will. 

He will have to do so with Conte though, plus as an elite level manager he also has pulling power for players.

He has effectively walked away from top top clubs because of this, he isn’t going to bluff with Spurs either, if Levy doesn’t put up a bit more he will go. And if Levy is willing to do that then he will feel a bit of backlash to say the least, from their fans.

I agree with @Tomo, Arsenal top 4 is better than Spurs. Because they really aren’t going anywhere anytime fast, they’re good for 3/4 weeks, then shite for another 3/4. 

You guys have a way of going overboard of worshiping managers, i am lukewarm on Tuchel. I think he is solid enough to get us top 4, but I have not seen anything to suggest he can get us to compete against City and Pool in the league. 

20 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

You guys have a way of going overboard of worshiping managers, i am lukewarm on Tuchel. I think he is solid enough to get us top 4, but I have not seen anything to suggest he can get us to compete against City and Pool in the league. 

I think there are huge positives to take from Tuchel.

The biggest one being that for the past 18 months under him we've competed against the very best sides and often been at the very least their equal and at times superior. He hasn't lost in 5 games under Klopp's Liverpool (penalties notwithstanding), he's beaten Pep's City 3 times, Conte's Spurs 3 times, Simeone's Atletico twice, Real Madrid twice. From a competitive perspective we're back at that level consistently and he has to take a lot of the credit for that because the majority of these players under Sarri and Lampard before him struggled against the very best teams.

There has been progress this season in the league. Obviously not enough to compete currently with Liverpool and City but we should finish 3rd and realistically our league season has completely petered out because we've been relatively safe in that spot for months. Consistency is something that needs to improve in our league form to challenge for the title. I saw a stat the other day too that we're in the top 3 teams in the league for most points lost from a leading position with 20 which is far too much for a team in 3rd. Rightly or wrongly, it also isn't coincidental that the two poor runs in the league we've had this year came over Xmas when we were ravaged with injuries and covid, and recently with the sanctions and dark cloud hanging over the club's head.

It is also easy to forget the time Pep and Klopp have had at their clubs. Pep's City when he inherited them were already strong and it was a struggle him getting them in the top 4 the first season. He spent £400m in the first two summers in the club to reshape them. Klopp took a couple of years to get Liverpool in the top 4 and I'm pretty sure they also lost 3 cup finals before winning one. The process can take time.

I believe with the right backing and recruitment, Tuchel is at a level as a coach where over the next couple of seasons he can get us closer to the top 2 whilst also keeping us competitive and in the hunt for cups. 

I don't foresee a situation where the new ownership coming in will be as trigger happy as Roman. I think they'll be realistic in where we're currently at in comparison to Liverpool and City and we may be a couple of years and a couple of good transfer windows away from sustaining a title challenge. But with this in mind, and perhaps a more patient and settled approach in the manager/coaching department, I think Tuchel is probably the best manager throughout Roman's era at the club to be trusted with a longer term, patient approach. For me, at present, there's no other manager around that I'd be happy replacing him with.

54 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think there are huge positives to take from Tuchel.

The biggest one being that for the past 18 months under him we've competed against the very best sides and often been at the very least their equal and at times superior. He hasn't lost in 5 games under Klopp's Liverpool (penalties notwithstanding), he's beaten Pep's City 3 times, Conte's Spurs 3 times, Simeone's Atletico twice, Real Madrid twice. From a competitive perspective we're back at that level consistently and he has to take a lot of the credit for that because the majority of these players under Sarri and Lampard before him struggled against the very best teams.

There has been progress this season in the league. Obviously not enough to compete currently with Liverpool and City but we should finish 3rd and realistically our league season has completely petered out because we've been relatively safe in that spot for months. Consistency is something that needs to improve in our league form to challenge for the title. I saw a stat the other day too that we're in the top 3 teams in the league for most points lost from a leading position with 20 which is far too much for a team in 3rd. Rightly or wrongly, it also isn't coincidental that the two poor runs in the league we've had this year came over Xmas when we were ravaged with injuries and covid, and recently with the sanctions and dark cloud hanging over the club's head.

It is also easy to forget the time Pep and Klopp have had at their clubs. Pep's City when he inherited them were already strong and it was a struggle him getting them in the top 4 the first season. He spent £400m in the first two summers in the club to reshape them. Klopp took a couple of years to get Liverpool in the top 4 and I'm pretty sure they also lost 3 cup finals before winning one. The process can take time.

I believe with the right backing and recruitment, Tuchel is at a level as a coach where over the next couple of seasons he can get us closer to the top 2 whilst also keeping us competitive and in the hunt for cups. 

I don't foresee a situation where the new ownership coming in will be as trigger happy as Roman. I think they'll be realistic in where we're currently at in comparison to Liverpool and City and we may be a couple of years and a couple of good transfer windows away from sustaining a title challenge. But with this in mind, and perhaps a more patient and settled approach in the manager/coaching department, I think Tuchel is probably the best manager throughout Roman's era at the club to be trusted with a longer term, patient approach. For me, at present, there's no other manager around that I'd be happy replacing him with.

No doubt Tuchel had some solid results against those teams, but H2H only prove unique advantages. Over 38 games we see the team quality as a whole. 

Pep and Klopp showed improvement every year, with Tuchel it is the opposite We were better in his first couple of months than we are now.

I don’t see Tuchel in the same realm as Pep and Klopp, I see those guys as visionary and club builders. Tuchel is more like Carlo, game day manager driven and focused. 

5 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

No doubt Tuchel had some solid results against those teams, but H2H only prove unique advantages. Over 38 games we see the team quality as a whole. 

Pep and Klopp showed improvement every year, with Tuchel it is the opposite We were better in his first couple of months than we are now.

I don’t see Tuchel in the same realm as Pep and Klopp, I see those guys as visionary and club builders. Tuchel is more like Carlo, game day manager driven and focused. 

As I said though look at some of the situations the club has had to experience in the second half of this season. There's absolutely no doubt that the club has to become more consistent, and with City and Liverpool showing no signs of slowing down at present, you can't afford many slip ups to keep pace with them. But this didn't happen over night for either of them too. They've had the time and resources to build at their clubs. 

As a club we weren't title challenging before Tuchel, and with the greatest respect to Lampard, we had absolutely no direction. Despite all the drama in recent months around the club he has been a constant settling presence. 

Can Tuchel replicate Klopp and Pep? I don't know. So far I'd say he's made enough improvement in 18 months to suggest he's worth holding on to and finding out with over the next couple of seasons. Klopp took a lot of time to get things right at Liverpool and Pep took a lot of money. Neither had immediate success with squads they inherited, like Tuchel has had. If he's given a longer term project to build the club/squad in his image who's to say he can't make it a big success?

5 hours ago, Clockwork said:

It's not as linear as that. Klopp took two and a half years (and the best GK, CB and CDM in the world) to break away from the level we're currently at.