Jump to content
Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

The Tuchel Thread


 Share
Followers 1

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Azul said:

Does anyone agree that we may have had the worst transfer window in our history? Questions have to be asked of our scouts and board to be honest. Time will tell though.

Is this based on the fact two players we signed haven’t settled or got a consistent run in the team? And that Werner has been disappointing? 

Think Chilwell despite recent struggles has been a good buy, Thiago Silva on a free has been very good, a shrewd move and Mendy has been pretty solid. 

Worst transfer window in our history is a bit of a stretch. Not even close to the worst window in our last 10 years probably. The season Mourinho got sacked second time round was worse, Baba Rahmann, Papi Djib however you spell it, Falcao, Kenedy, Nathan, Michael Hector, Danilo Pantic etc. Then the January didnt get better, Pato and Matt Miazga.

The return hasnt been great but considering Werner, Havertz, Chilwell are all under 25 and theres a huge chance that down the line we will be saying these signings were very good.  

I still remember folk being slightly frustrated at Hazard in his first season due to his inconsistencies at times. Look how that turned out. 

Edited by OneMoSalah
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A manager taking responsibility? Preposterous!

Unless we completely lose the plot and results go south in these last few weeks of the season, sacking Tuchel just because we don't get Top 4 would be a fucking stupid decision from the board...again.

‘He’s brought belief and togetherness back’: Tuchel’s first month at Chelsea https://theathletic.com/2410946/2021/02/26/hes-brought-belief-and-togetherness-back-tuchels-first-month-at-Chelsea/

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's still too early to tell but here's what I'd say,

1. Not sure if the board had any plan on what kind of squad they want to have when they bought these players, especially when they decide to take a different route from the manager. If you look at the squad, it's kinda mish-mash. For instance, we have a group of players who look better in a back 3 and another that look better in a back 4. And there's also the fact that the board buy their own players, which may not suit the manager, and buy players that the manager wants. There's not much a holistic view to the squad building, like at Man City or even Liverpool.

2. It's been difficult for the team in general to develop any kind of consistent playing style in recent years. We have gone from Conte's pragmatic football to Sarri's possession football to Lampard's freestyle football to now Tuchel's gegenpressing/possession football. Couple that with the turnover of players - players being bought, sold or release - it's difficult to develop the players and the playing style. It wasn't like back in Mourinho's first reign here, where he got to build and develop the team and then it went on to have success, not just under him but also under different managers while playing largely the same way.

3. I don't think the players we bought last summer are bad. They have their qualities. The problems here are (a) they haven't played long enough together to develop the chemistry/understanding with one another, (b) we do not having a consistent playing style as mentioned above for players to just immediately come in and easily make an impact and (c) none of the players we bought are in their peak and fully established players yet, except maybe Ziyech. All of our academy players are still in their early 20s and so are our recent signings - Havertz, Pulisic, and maybe Werner at a push although he's entering his peak years I guess at 25. Only Ziyech is in his peak age. We have been so used to buying players in their peak, established players in the last decade that this squad development process feels very frustrating and maybe even alien-ish. We are used to seeing players coming in and making instant impact - e.g. Costa and Fabregas. Now, we're having to live through the inconsistency that comes with these younger players and players that's come from different leagues, during a pandemic season no less, while trying to be successful at the same time. 

Very true, and the squad does look out of depth in terms of players that play in very different systems are put together in the same team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Is this based on the fact two players we signed haven’t settled or got a consistent run in the team? And that Werner has been disappointing? 

Think Chilwell despite recent struggles has been a good buy, Thiago Silva on a free has been very good, a shrewd move and Mendy has been pretty solid. 

Worst transfer window in our history is a bit of a stretch. Not even close to the worst window in our last 10 years probably. The season Mourinho got sacked second time round was worse, Baba Rahmann, Papi Djib however you spell it, Falcao, Kenedy, Nathan, Michael Hector, Danilo Pantic etc. Then the January didnt get better, Pato and Matt Miazga.

The return hasnt been great but considering Werner, Havertz, Chilwell are all under 25 and theres a huge chance that down the line we will be saying these signings were very good.  

I still remember folk being slightly frustrated at Hazard in his first season due to his inconsistencies at times. Look how that turned out. 

My statement has to do with players showing a lack of fundamental footballing skills. The stuff I'm seeing from Werner is not good enough at all. Not only is he not able to finish clear 1 on 1 chances, but his ball control and movement on the ball is incredibly awful. Him not being in form is an excuse, because even if players are out of form they should still have some fundamental footballing skills. If this is Werner out of form, then does this mean we will see more of this in the future when he becomes out of form again? It's not good enough in my opinion.

Chilwell since November, when he faced teams with a pulse, has been horrible. His movement for a fullback at the highest level has not been good enough as well, he is not able to beat a man 1 on 1, and all he seems to do is spam crosses. His defending is something else that has been suspect, and there is no excuse for him, because he played in the Premier League for years. There is a reason why Leicester fans were happy when he left.

I concede that this transfer window is not the worst ever, it's up there though with the amount of money we've spent on possible flops.

Hazard not having a first good season is the biggest myth I've ever heard. The guy scored 13 goals and had 24 assists! Furthermore, it wasn't like he was scoring tap ins, he was scoring some quality screamers. Those numbers are ridiculous for a winger that has just come to the Premier League. Where did the assumption that he didn't perform come from?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I dread Atletico. We will not any goal in both legs playing like this. So disjointed.

Not happy with our performances so far. I only managed to swallow them because we were winning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mana said:

I dread Atletico. We will not any goal in both legs playing like this. So disjointed.

Not happy with our performances so far. I only managed to swallow them because we were winning.

Atletico is currently losing to Levante, so there is hope. 😅

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mana said:

I dread Atletico. We will not any goal in both legs playing like this. So disjointed.

Not happy with our performances so far. I only managed to swallow them because we were winning.

 

2 minutes ago, Beigl said:

Atletico is currently losing to Levante, so there is hope. 😅

MORE HOPE!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Beigl said:

Atletico is currently losing to Levante, so there is hope. 😅

Sorry to burst your bubble, but when has facing a team that came off a poor result ever been an advantage this season?

Chelsea is always ready to put you back up on your feet.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, killer1257 said:

Soton also lost their last six matches. Not a good sign at all lol

TAKE WHAT WE CAN GET AND RUN WITH IT!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Azul said:

My statement has to do with players showing a lack of fundamental footballing skills. The stuff I'm seeing from Werner is not good enough at all. Not only is he not able to finish clear 1 on 1 chances, but his ball control and movement on the ball is incredibly awful. Him not being in form is an excuse, because even if players are out of form they should still have some fundamental footballing skills. If this is Werner out of form, then does this mean we will see more of this in the future when he becomes out of form again? It's not good enough in my opinion.

Chilwell since November, when he faced teams with a pulse, has been horrible. His movement for a fullback at the highest level has not been good enough as well, he is not able to beat a man 1 on 1, and all he seems to do is spam crosses. His defending is something else that has been suspect, and there is no excuse for him, because he played in the Premier League for years. There is a reason why Leicester fans were happy when he left.

I concede that this transfer window is not the worst ever, it's up there though with the amount of money we've spent on possible flops.

Hazard not having a first good season is the biggest myth I've ever heard. The guy scored 13 goals and had 24 assists! Furthermore, it wasn't like he was scoring tap ins, he was scoring some quality screamers. Those numbers are ridiculous for a winger that has just come to the Premier League. Where did the assumption that he didn't perform come from?

I agree with Werner and for his price and experience the expectations are different from the others but he has struggled. He still has it in him to turn it around and has shown considerable improvement with TT bar today. Although why he couldnt deliver some of the things weve seen such as his assist for Mount v Newcastle under Lampard I dont know because it was good play, in a position he found himself in with Frank out on the left. 

Chilwell has been poor since the turn of the year, offensively he hasnt been as bad as you make out for me but defensively he has shown weakness in certain games but some of us expected that signing him. I still have no doubts in a flat back 4 he is better than Alonso and Emerson considerably. I think again, he can only improve and up to late November/December people would of been happy with what they seen from him.

Believe me, there were people who felt Eden could have done more, particularly when we played bigger teams. Stats are good but also, in the CL he was virtually anonymous the whole campaign and the only really good team we played was Juventus. He was poor in  both legs v Shakhtar and only really performed well against Nordsjaelland. Also in the super cup, against another big team, didnt do much. Plus the club world cup final, again, felt he was poor as most were and that Rafa infamous substitution of Ivanovic for Azpi in the latter stages of that game summed it up. Oscar maybe also got the same criticism and although he was less talented, he showed also that after a season, he improved.

Eden did have impressive stats overall but lets not forget that stats aren’t exactly everything and as ever, people expected more from him in key moments as he had the talent. Kai will be held in the same regards if not worse due to his price. The point being that it takes time. Writing him off is dangerous as we have seen over the years with KdB and Salah who didnt do much here in a short space of time and were eventually let go. Not saying we would be so daft to let Kai go but sometimes you have to accept there will be teething problems and he may need more time. I always think for players of this talent and age maybe we should give them a season although I have been initially disappointed with the games he did play due to basic things such as giving the ball away too much and running into people. 

Should really wait until end of the season before writing people off. Maybe even see what happens in the summer because I have no doubts Tuchel will want to make his own additions and its not a well hidden secret that we lack a top clinical CF who would arguably take this team up a notch. 

Edited by OneMoSalah
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

I agree with Werner and for his price and experience the expectations are different from the others but he has struggled. He still has it in him to turn it around and has shown considerable improvement with TT bar today. Although why he couldnt deliver some of the things weve seen such as his assist for Mount v Newcastle under Lampard I dont know because it was good play, in a position he found himself in with Frank out on the left. 

Chilwell has been poor since the turn of the year, offensively he hasnt been as bad as you make out for me but defensively he has shown weakness in certain games but some of us expected that signing him. I still have no doubts in a flat back 4 he is better than Alonso and Emerson considerably. I think again, he can only improve and up to late November/December people would of been happy with what they seen from him.

Believe me, there were people who felt Eden could have done more, particularly when we played bigger teams. Stats are good but also, in the CL he was virtually anonymous the whole campaign and the only really good team we played was Juventus. He was poor in  both legs v Shakhtar and only really performed well against Nordsjaelland. Also in the super cup, against another big team, didnt do much. Plus the club world cup final, again, felt he was poor as most were and that Rafa infamous substitution of Ivanovic for Azpi in the latter stages of that game summed it up. Oscar maybe also got the same criticism and although he was less talented, he showed also that after a season, he improved.

Eden did have impressive stats overall but lets not forget that stats aren’t exactly everything and as ever, people expected more from him in key moments as he had the talent. Kai will be held in the same regards if not worse due to his price. The point being that it takes time. Writing him off is dangerous as we have seen over the years with KdB and Salah who didnt do much here in a short space of time and were eventually let go. Not saying we would be so daft to let Kai go but sometimes you have to accept there will be teething problems and he may need more time. I always think for players of this talent and age maybe we should give them a season although I have been initially disappointed with the games he did play due to basic things such as giving the ball away too much and running into people. 

Should really wait until end of the season before writing people off. Maybe even see what happens in the summer because I have no doubts Tuchel will want to make his own additions and its not a well hidden secret that we lack a top clinical CF who would arguably take this team up a notch. 

I agree with almost everything you said except for the Hazard part. Feeling that he could've done better in the bigger games in his first season, is expecting more from him due to the standards we expected of him. Werner and the rest are not performing at the same level Hazard performed at, and are not showing me anything to be excited about. Personally, I knew after the first season that Hazard was going to be a superstar. Same with KDB for City, and Salah for Liverpool. All these players you mentioned can't be compared with Timo, because they performed better in their first season. Also he is a forward, and we expect him to finish his chances at the end of the day, which is the main thing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jason said:

TAKE WHAT WE CAN GET AND RUN WITH IT!

In our case, we better take some away goals.

Regardless of the result, we have to play on the front foot (probably how Atletico likes it, but still).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Jason said:

Let's see how this holds up in the coming games...

 

THats awesome, I miss the wall we used to be. Give TT better suited players and he will give us the title, we were torrid in final third today but im more than pleased so far anyway. And AM lost 0-2 at home just now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you guys think about CHO getting sub after only 30 minutes of football? I never like when a coach subs a player who didn't start the game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

The idea he thinks CHO will forget what happened today in the morning shows that he is naive.

 

He may think hes just a kid but one never knows where player power can come from.

I don’t think he was saying CHO will forget, I think he was saying he will let it go and back to training without holding this against CHO. If CHO wants to give up his position... next man up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Henrique said:

What do you guys think about CHO getting sub after only 30 minutes of football? I never like when a coach subs a player who didn't start the game. 

If Tuchel was telling him to do something and CHO was not doing it, put him back on the bench.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Tuchel is realising slowly that Chelsea is a much more difficult job than managing BVB and PSG. At PSG, he had Verratti, Di Maria, Mbappe, Cavani, Icardi and Neymar. We do not even have one player that is on their level. Only Silva is on on their level, but he also used to play for PSG lol. 

Hope he slowly realises that certain players are just not made for Chelsea. The good thing is that moaning Tuchel is already here. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuchel knows exactly what this team lacks. He is a no-nonsense coach and tactical genius.

I am happy we are disappointed after a draw. With Lampard we would be happy right now with draws.
 

Frank Lampard had lowered our bar too much - people were defending the PE Teacher Lampard after losing against shower of shit teams. So happy we got rid of that impersonator and got a real coach. Tuchel was fuming and rightly so.

Tuchel will need time. He has to clean up the mess the fraud Lampard left. I am convinced there are bright times ahead.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...