23. Conor Gallagher

NikkiCFC

43 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Tbf is jwp anything special apart from set pieces? There are plenty of decent fk takers on the England team and most of those suit englands rigid defensive style of play better

but Southgate sure has his favs. Just as an old stubborn coach like Rehhagel or Mourinho would but without the trophies to back it up. Philips, Sterling, Pickford, trippier all not the best in their positions but will play prominent roles. 

anyway won’t matter much. If England have one thing then it is mediocrity in depth. Surely that will be enough for the semifinal if they again manage to poach the easy half of the draw. 

Agree, I don't rate Ward-Prowse too high expect his expectional free kicks, it's just this sentence that caught my eyes.. Gallagher in better form. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Vesper said:

Chelsea looking to offer 22-year-old midfielder Conor Gallagher a new contract

https://astamfordbridgetoofar.com/2023/02/conor-gallagher-Chelsea-signing-new-contract-deal/

Not going to look good for Mount.

• 2 months later...

Another awful performance. Like most of his this season.

I get the teams not done well at all, but he genuinely looks like he is a Sunday league player.

Just completely overawed by the quality of the PL. Why did we reject the £40m from Everton, we will never get that fee for him again. 

11 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Another awful performance. Like most of his this season.

I get the teams not done well at all, but he genuinely looks like he is a Sunday league player.

Just completely overawed by the quality of the PL. Why did we reject the £40m from Everton, we will never get that fee for him again. 

Watching him sporadically for Palace fooled me into thinking he had a bright future at Chelsea. I didn’t realize how shockingly poor he is technically. He hasn’t really done anything well this whole season. Doesn’t score, doesn’t assist, doesn’t create chances, dreadful with the ball in tight spaces. He has offered nothing other than the odd good pressing moment where he aggressively wins the ball back.

One of the first players who should be sold this summer. If we can sucker some other small PL club to pay a decent fee for him we need to bite their hand off.

• 3 months later...

The problem is that if we’d bought him for £5-10m we’d all be content with him staying as a squad player, maybe even Conor himself would be, and that’s fine. However the reality is that because he is academy produced we could get £40-50m we are almost pushing him out the door. Sad situation but that’s business.

• 2 weeks later...

Poch will try to keep him but at the same time I don't think he will go against the club if some crazy offer come in. 45-50m is normal price we will reject that. Since I hope he stays hopefully crazy offer doesn't come in. 

And wonder if Conor is ready to bet on himself and reject any move even if Chelsea accept it? Trying to turn it around next season which I think he will do it if he stays. After that Chelsea may be ready to offer him new deal. He's only on 50k that will play major part as well. 

Poch will be fine if he knows Connor is going but we actually get the targets we want, it's when we are fucking about and not getting Caicedo deal over the line.

He doesn't want to be sitting on the bench, he wants to be starting- he won't be starting anytime soon here

14 hours ago, James said:

Good. If it were up to some of the muppets on here he would be sold for anything north of £35m and then they would take an expensive punt on someone they deem to have good stats or flashy YouTube highlights.

10 hours ago, King Kante said:

Good. If it were up to some of the muppets on here he would be sold for anything north of £35m and then they would take an expensive punt on someone they deem to have good stats or flashy YouTube highlights.

he is not good enough and I am a decent judge of talent

my record here is pretty strong

I gave consistently said 35m was too low, btw

I think we can wrench out 45 or even 50m

I am not a muppet

Edited by Vesper

5 hours ago, Vesper said:

he is not good enough and I am a decent judge of talent

my record here is pretty strong

I gave consistently said 35m was too low, btw

I think we can wrench out 45 or even 50m

I am not a muppet

The problem however is just judging on talent and not looking at what else he brings. Like James, Gallagher really loves the club and wants to be here. Additionally, he is pretty humble and is happy to work hard for any chance he can get and won't rock the boat. For me, after having so many disruptive players and having so many new players coming in, Gallagher can act as a role model on how to behave and what it means to be a Chelsea player. That for me, is worth a lot. 

Additionally, I recognise that he is not that technically great, however he isn't as bad as everyone makes out. For me, he can easily become a very usable 'closer' from the bench and maybe even become a good box to box player if we switch to a 433. 

I get the Financial argument but, for me, you aren't getting many more HG players that are happy to take on a 3-5th CM role on his wages. That also needs to be considered as the HG rules means you need someone like him knocking about. 

Lastly, if we get him to sign a new contract and he has, even just a half decent season, he value is going to be the same next year or even increase. With the shape of our CM atm I really don't think selling another CM - which them means buying another - with only three weeks before the season starts is a good idea.