23. Conor Gallagher

NikkiCFC

I still think we should keep HG players ready to put shift. We need squad players and he is on penauts contract. But all this lenghty discussion apart, I think people thinking we will replace him with someone else are borderline delusional. We can't land somewhat key player in from of DM since Kante departure, unlikely we will buy one or two quality CMs instantly. This window is totally different kind of business than previous one. And replacing HG with another "raw potential to be future decent player", I think we can put a pause on it for a moment already.  

He has definitely improved his speed of pass, you can see sometimes he reverts back to taking too many touches and does a 180 but for the most part he has improved, can't fault him or anyone when it's visible like that. If he was vocal and banging the drum in the press about leaving or first time etc then he can go but he isn't. Conor isn't a Chelsea starter now, prior he has been rash, tried too hard, we all remember Tuchel screaming at him when he wouldn't release the ball quick enough and he was a liability sadly. That said, I refer back to my original few lines and this is the same guy who said to Rio off camera after an interview “make sure you say I want to go back to Chelsea” when asked, so I've got a lot of respect for that type of utility player, keyword there, utility. 

Hope he does well, proper Chels.

2 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Think he'll make the cut, assuming no club meets the 50m valuation. 

Enzo

New CM

Carney

Gallagher

Santos

Can't see Carney staying. He is last in packing order. 

3 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Can't see Carney staying. He is last in packing order. 

Is he? Thought he's played the 3rd most after Santos and Casadei.

Would be weird to let a player go out on loan when his face is plastered alongside Mudryk, Enzo and Silva at the Bridge. 

11 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Is he? Thought he's played the 3rd most after Santos and Casadei.

Would be weird to let a player go out on loan when his face is plastered alongside Mudryk, Enzo and Silva at the Bridge. 

Enzo, Caicedo, Santos, Casadei, Gallagher. All ahead of him. And I'm not even sure Casadei is staying. 

6 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Enzo, Caicedo, Santos, Casadei, Gallagher. All ahead of him. And I'm not even sure Casadei is staying. 

Carney can play further up though but ultimately should be loaned/sold regardless (unless Poch see’s him contributing in the long run -> loan) - I don’t think he was ever going to be Chelsea material or that he is ever going to develop into a number 8, he looks more advanced closer to a 10.

Using pre-season as a barometer when we were always short in MF given our outgoings there was always going to be a risky move re Casadei, Santos and Carney’s futures this season (although would say Santos will be around given the effort to get him a work permit in January and finally to get him one this summer).

@MoroccanBlue advertising boardings/posters/whatever really means nothing either considering certain photos for the new kit launch still had Kai, Azpi and Mount in them also IIRC. Yes they weren’t released or were cropped to not show them but I mean just because Carney’s face is here or there, wouldn’t make a bearing on his standing in the squad as such if the manager wants to loan him or doesn’t fancy his chances making it here?

Like I said above, MF we are notoriously short, so him playing regularly along with Casadei not really proof of anything. If Kante, Kovacic or Ruben had stayed for instance, do you think he’d of even made the tour?

Edited by OneMoSalah

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, ulvhedin said:

This game perfectly shows who is Gallagher - great at chasing the ball and doing crazy challanges. But terrible at being a holding midfielder, his unability to be press resistant will hurt us badly if he will keep starting.

That’s just it, he isn’t a holding midfielder and we are playing Enzo further forward. Poor chap, true blue but ultimately not good enough on the ball.

4 hours ago, lucio said:

How on earth did the club turn down 40m for this awful player. All he does is lose the ball , fall over and run around like a dog 

Then again he had two amazing full stretch slide tackles today that were rather vital. He is a head scratcher but I would see it like many here. Definitely deserves a place in the squad but not in the first XI. In a world where Caicedo and Rice go for 105m+, Gallagher is definitely a 50m player,so can not blame the club for turning down 40.

4 minutes ago, Henrique said:

I think I watched a different game. His performance was great, and I think he finally looked like a proper player. Having a real manager really makes a difference. 

Did you see him repeatedly lose the ball ?