The Mourinho Thread

Just because Excalibur speaks against the manager a bit more than most that does not make him a troll. He is a very valuable member and I value his problems. He is a clear Chelsea fan and just offers his opinions but like Lionsdenm they speak out against the manager more. Nothing wrong with that. People obviously had their doubts about Oscar before the season started and he scored 1 goal and had a good game then Gilvorak went "I have the smuggest look on my face right now". I did not see the same reaction then.

It works both ways. When we win, we have people who like to call out others. He is doing nothing wrong and before I see any BS about him being warned/suspened because of what he said, someone insulted him first.

It annoys me how people regard people as trolls just because they speak out against players/staff of the club more than others. He has not said anything ludicrous.

Speaking against the manager is one thing. Constantly bashing him regardless of the outcome becomes tedious. But Im glad they have hired you as some sort of lawyer.

Of all the sides he's managed, the current crop of players is probably the most un-Mourinho team ever.

1. Defense. We're shambolic. OK, we might have ended up with the best defence in each season since his return but we're still making mistakes (really silly and basic mistakes) that are not normally associated with a Mourinho side. Never mind about letting in goals, a Mourinho side usually doesn't give the opposition many chances but this season alone, we've probably conceded more than 30 shots on target in four matches! That's poor for a big club and I think only the relegation teams are close to that amount.

2. Set pieces. Do we actually even practice corners and free kicks in training? It's beyond shocking how often the set pieces fail to beat the first man, are overhit or hit straight to an opposition player. We are already struggling to score from open play, the least we could do is be more threatening, more imaginative with our set pieces so we can score from them.

3. Counter-attacks. For a side filled with fast attacking players, we sure score very few goals from counter-attacking situations. Don't commit enough men forward, not decisive in the final third, like to take the extra touch and making the wrong decision with the final delivery. Mourinho has been working with these players for 2 1/2 seasons now and there hasn't been any improvement. I still remember the 4 v 1 counter attack we had at City 2 seasons ago and we somehow contrived to mess it up!

4. Tiki-taka passing. Maybe Mourinho is trying to change our way of playing but can he tell the players not to over-elaborate in the final third? If there's a good chance to shoot at goal, then shoot. But if the opportunity isn't there, then don't and keep the ball moving. It's extremely infuriating that we're tying to be like Arsenal and walk the ball into the net. Be quicker and direct with the passing (I don't mean just lumping the ball to the striker). If there's a chance to set someone on goal, then quickly do it. Don't take the extra touch and pass to create the perfect goal. Quick, direct goals can be effective and great to watch too!

5. Midfield. Teams of Mourinho tend to contain the strong, physical players especially in midfield but this side has too many softies (e.g. Fabregas). Again, this is perhaps part of Mourinho's attempt to try a new way of playing but we are desperately lacking a physical player or two to go alongside Matic. We need someone who isn't afraid to fight, to do the dirty things (if you can call it that) etc when matches get tough and physical. Imagine what a peak Essien, Ballack or Lampard would do for this side. Mourinho needs to get 1-2 those kind of players in because we need to have a balance of strength, power, pace and creativity. Without that strength and power in the side, we get overrun too easily whenever we come up against a half-decent side.

1. we only had the 2nd best defense after southampton. that is because we have been leaking unnecessary goals since that tottenham defeat and never quite corrected that

2. yup our set pieces are dead on shit. we have no decent set piece taker. we used to have ballack, lampard, drogba, deco, mata now we are stuck with average ones from pedro, willian and fabregas. and this is shocking as it is so easy to work on these. even most amateur players take better freekicks than us

3. Totally agree. even though counter attacks are about the only way we score these days.

4. noticed that a few times every game that we over-elaborate instead of playing passes that actually give us space. in germany we call this "klein-klein". quick short passing is only beneficial when peoplemake runs to exploit space behind defenders not around them.

5. this is really a shame. some of our players should get their shit together and have a few more kgs oatmeal and streaks per day. Even Matic is not remotedly as strong as Lamps, ballack, essien used to be. Fabregas is as easy to dispossess as a kid. no idea where his flat track ability has gone. he is completely useless nowadays.

Speaking against the manager is one thing. Constantly bashing him regardless of the outcome becomes tedious. But Im glad they have hired you as some sort of lawyer.

And constantly licking his ass becomes tedious too. Some will exempt him from any form of criticism.

1. we only had the 2nd best defense after southampton. that is because we have been leaking unnecessary goals since that tottenham defeat and never quite corrected that

2. yup our set pieces are dead on shit. we have no decent set piece taker. we used to have ballack, lampard, drogba, deco, mata now we are stuck with average ones from pedro, willian and fabregas. and this is shocking as it is so easy to work on these. even most amateur players take better freekicks than us

3. Totally agree. even though counter attacks are about the only way we score these days.

4. noticed that a few times every game that we over-elaborate instead of playing passes that actually give us space. in germany we call this "klein-klein". quick short passing is only beneficial when peoplemake runs to exploit space behind defenders not around them.

5. this is really a shame. some of our players should get their shit together and have a few more kgs oatmeal and streaks per day. Even Matic is not remotedly as strong as Lamps, ballack, essien used to be. Fabregas is as easy to dispossess as a kid. no idea where his flat track ability has gone. he is completely useless nowadays.

1. to sum things up over the years since 2005, or when Robben departed: Chelsea have spent a lot of money and have not had a complete squad (meaning: pick a formation, look at the quality in depth in each and every position).

2. Chelsea might not be using short passes with such futility if someone would coach them differently. Watch a United match (forget about them not scoring enough for a moment), or see how Dortmund push and pull an opponent. No one does this at Chelsea. Front-to-back and side-to-side Chelsea are too slow and lack incision and it's been this way year after year after year after year after year.... someone needs to change the way this team plays on the park and I don't see Mourinho doing it.

Same as he said for Cuadrado, Matic and Salah.

Yeah man, there's nothing to be overly read into here. Mourinho,and Chelsea for that matter, love to make these proclaimations and then go back on it lmao.. Let's see what actually happens on/by Tuesday 11pm (BST)

I find this quote particularly interesting

With the transfer window due to close on Tuesday, the Stamford Bridge boardroom could become a busy place over the next 48 hours. But Mourinho believes the club have had ample time to land his targets this summer.

Asked if the defeat would be the trigger for a transfer splurge, Mourinho replied: 'I hope not. I don't like that. I gave my club the season projection on April 21. I don't think it's now, on the 29 or 30 of August, I'm going to say I want this or that, or want to try this or that.

'We have to do better. Me and the players have to do better.'

the club obviously knew which players mourinho wanted but did fuck all. now reaping the rewards. can't believe we reverted that much back into the dark ages after spending so wiesely in the last few windows.

I find this quote particularly interesting

the club obviously knew which players mourinho wanted but did fuck all. now reaping the rewards. can't believe we reverted that much back into the dark ages after spending so wiesely in the last few windows.

Indeed. I'm sure towards the end of the season/just before pre-season activtiies Mourinho specifically stated he wished to bring in a striker, midfield and defender?

He needs to drop the players that know they are starting week in week out, they need to learn to fight for there place in the team. Players like Matic Fabregas, Hazard, Willian.even Costa

Branna needs to be dropped full stop and Dave needs to go back to RB and let baba go to LB

At this point id be happy to see a Mikel, RLC middle. Chuck Kenedy on the left pedro on the right and Oscar in the middle with Remy up top

Indeed. I'm sure towards the end of the season/just before pre-season activtiies Mourinho specifically stated he wished to bring in a striker, midfield and defender?

yup and counting falcao, baba and bego as replacements we did not bring a midfielder nor a defender. only pedro who is a winger.

He needs to drop the players that know they are starting week in week out, they need to learn to fight for there place in the team. Players like Matic Fabregas, Hazard, Willian.even Costa

Branna needs to be dropped full stop and Dave needs to go back to RB and let baba go to LB

At this point id be happy to see a Mikel, RLC middle. Chuck Kenedy on the left pedro on the right and Oscar in the middle with Remy up top

No please god no.

Also, Cesc in middle, place where Mou needs a stability and Willian on wing where Mou needs efficiency tells you all. We lost physicality, speed, efficiency, danger from set pieces. What we have now is alot more technical team, but sadly Mourinho is probably the worst coach in the world elite to train planned attacks.

I know Fabregas played an instrumental role in helping us to win the Premier League and League Cup last season but when you look at the bigger picture, at what Mourinho is trying to do, it feels as though he's bought the wrong type/profile of midfield playmaker for the team. Fabregas, with his defiencies, is clearly not suited to playing in the pivot in 4-2-3-1. If anything, we should have been looking for playmakers like Modric, Alonso etc who aren't only capable of dictating the play, creating chances and all that but also can defend properly when needed to. Fabregas can do the former but not the latter and when he's not contributing offensively, then you start to wonder what else does he provide to the side.

Also our tactics have become terrible aswell. Going from dynamical, ''adopt to your opponent'', we are one dimensional now, its realy painful. Its clear we dont have no real plan for the games. We try to play more open, but our defense gets exposed and our attack is clueless.

I'm kinda surprised that Mourinho hasn't tried to use the 4-3-3 more often. We have the players for that system but we seem so adamant on using the 4-2-3-1 all the time. It can probably give the team a better balance and help the likes of Fabregas to improve - it allows him to bomb forward, create from deep areas without worrying too much his defensive responsibilities given that there will be other 2 players covering for him.

Thing is @Jason, 4-2-3-1 just often becomes 4-3-3 anyway. I mean think about it with our personnel in the first place;

Matic

Fabregas (/Ramires) - Willian(/Oscar)

Pedro - Costa - Hazard

It's just very easy for whoever is playing ahead of Matic to drop back into the middle, since our tactics are pretty much passive.

Putting together one of the worst title defenses by a champion in the premier league era so far.

oXvjiDq.jpg

the silver lining is that, ManUtd in 2007/8 won CL and PL. On the other hand we started just as badly that season.

Putting together one of the worst title defenses by a champion in the premier league era so far.

oXvjiDq.jpg

Yeah but didn't most of those teams go on to win the title in that same season? Roughly looking at it, I can see United, Arsenal and Chelsea have won titles in the seasons they started poorly in.

For me - Mou wouldn't receive half as many complaints if he:

A) stopped being a Dick in post match interviews

B) Dropped out of form players

C) Tried to integrate the youth

The problem he has is that he is successful and he is stubborn - he probably thinks he can win without changing

An analogy springs to mind:

'drop a frog in boiling water it will jump out. Drop the same frog in cold water and then boil the water, the frog will die'

Now why people needed to boil frogs anyway (except maybe the French :)) - the analogy holds true.

We have systematically failed to adapt to a changing environment. We could see the problems last year, but had excuses such as fatigue, tiredness etc - all of these were as a direct result of Jose's failure to manage the squad effectively. However - landing the title largely exonerated him from this.

Cue this season - the same tactics are not working, Hazard off form, Cesc and Costa look terrible and the defence have been smoking big bags of weed!

Our general shape, sharpness and passing is just awful.

I just don't get it - that's what Mou teams were known for - good shape, passing and desire.

I really don't think everything is right behind the scenes - it's so far away from what I expect.

I don't know where this will end - but it could and probably will end with Mou departing. This would be a shame.

Thing is @Jason, 4-2-3-1 just often becomes 4-3-3 anyway. I mean think about it with our personnel in the first place;

Matic

Fabregas (/Ramires) - Willian(/Oscar)

Pedro - Costa - Hazard

It's just very easy for whoever is playing ahead of Matic to drop back into the middle, since our tactics are pretty much passive.

It's not exactly the same. Players will have a slightly different role and position in a 4-2-3-1 compared to 4-3-3. Heck, if we play the 4-3-3, we won't be using CAMs in the CM position, would we?