The Mourinho Thread

There you go then..... World class talent at a decent price is asking too much and we got lucky last year. You have just agreed with me essentially and given an argument against your original post. It isn't going to happen so you need to cut Jose and the board some slack.

As for the 2nd part of your post, I think Muzchap answered it better than I ever could.

My point is, Chelsea still needs to sign players even if it means paying a bit too much for them this time around. You're suggesting, I presume, not to sign players unless they are world class AND at a decent price, thus I don't agree with you.

I have been thinking about this thread quite a bit.

I get the need for 'marquee' signings - but just wanted to share my opinion on what a 'marquee' signing is.

Essentially - it's a promising young talent, given a chance to succeed that suddenly finds themselves worth plenty of millions. And everybody wants a piece of them (Bale is a great example).

Now we have in our U21 squad some of the hottest prospects around. I see absolutely no reason why RLC couldn't have a stellar season and be the next Pogba, why Traore couldn't have a banging season and be the next Griezman etc.

I'm not sure how well I'm making this point - but if our youngsters where in another team getting regular playing time - we would probably be demanding we sign them for £30 million plus...

So I look at it as - we have 2-3 U21's with a genuine chance of playing time - that's almost equivalent to splashing out £90 million...

Apart from cover for Matic - I'm not sure who else I would sign today that we desperately need?

Apart from cover for Matic - I'm not sure who else I would sign today that we desperately need?

Proactive centre-back. That's it. Otamendi is there and is gettable for 35m£. Perfect age. If we save money on Aranguiz and Pedro then I think we can splash a bit more on top CB.

Unless club like Barca or Real who spent every summer no matter they won the league (along with CL or not). It seems this is a trend in England, when you fail to win it, there will be summer spending spree. If you won the league don't expect too much in the summer.

Unless club like Barca or Real who spent every summer no matter they won the league (along with CL or not). It seems this is a trend in England, when you fail to win it, there will be summer spending spree. If you won the league don't expect too much in the summer.

Team's do spend but its how the team evolves that is the key.

United after winning it in 2011 signed Young, Jones and De Gea and actually improved, the only problem for them was so did City and with it nicked the title of them.

City in 2012 fucked up big time, signed loads of squad fillers thst simply weren't good enough.

United in 2013 wasted the market, but there was clearly special circumstances with the Fergie to Notes transition.

City last year singed decent players but made a mistake letting Negredo go and we were simply better in the season.

To early to judge our window this time but if we sign Pedro, Aranguiz and another defender to boost the back line, I would consider it a success.

United after winning it in 2011 signed Young, Jones and De Gea and actually improved, the only problem for them was so did City and with it nicked the title of them.

City in 2012 fucked up big time, signed loads of squad fillers thst simply weren't good enough.

United in 2013 wasted the market, but there was clearly special circumstances with the Fergie to Notes transition.

City last year singed decent players but made a mistake letting Negredo go and we were simply better in the season.

To early to judge our window this time but if we sign Pedro, Aranguiz and another defender to boost the back line, I would consider it a success.

First season of Mourinho I could understand, because he is just returned and need to analyze the squad first. Second season is fantastic because he immediately identified our needs and sign our targets.

This third what makes me worried because it looks like we don't have any target since the beginning of summer.

I'm not sure about Pedro, is he our target to begin with? Couple of weeks ago he just sign an extension and we're all thought he will stay, until recently the rumours starting to heat up. If he is our target to begin with, I bet we will make an approach before he sign an extension and the deal could be done early. At the moment, we looks like starting to make a move after we just realized his new buy out clause is 'only' 30m.

About Aranguiz, I don't think we will be linked with him at all, thanks to Chile impressive performance at Copa America. So it is pretty much like, 'oh that player is actually good, let's sign him up' rather than he is our target to begin with.

All in all both are still not done yet and there is still chance it will happening or could be falls through. Again, one thing that make me worried is that, despite we're winning double, we do have money, but we don't have certain target player to sign early, apart from Falcao and Begovic. It seems like we're waiting something to happen first before making any move.

Some really think Chelsea is all set for next season without signing anyone regardless of what other clubs are doing. Its really amazing

What's also amazing is how some think we are also a million miles behind City before a ball is even kicked, just because they have spunked 49M on an un-proven English winger. This Chelsea side don't need mass overhauls like United, we need players that adapt and fit the system but at a price that is both sensible for the club and fits our direction and vision from a season that we lifted the PL title with ease.

Just for the record we are 15 days into the transfer window with Begovic and Falcao already done, so that trumps your 'Without signing anyone' statement straight away. If you want quick fire signings to satisfy your needs play FIFA or FM.

I know it's hard to sign big-name players and there aren't many available right now but the signings that we have made and the ones that we'll be making (according to the latest rumour mill) are nothing more than just to consolidate our position. They don't really help us get to the next level, especially in Europe, where we have been found wanting, one way or another, in the past few seasons.

I know it's hard to sign big-name players and there aren't many available right now but the signings that we have made and the ones that we'll be making (according to the latest rumour mill) are nothing more than just to consolidate our position. They don't really help us get to the next level, especially in Europe, where we have been found wanting, one way or another, in the past few seasons.

as much as it hurts me to say this, i dont think we have been found wanting in europe cos of our players, but cos of jose.

RM had the best team in the world yet jose lost 3 semis, very much in the same manner as we lost our semi and the round of 16 leg. we can buy reus and pogba, but they wont make a difference if we are playing ultra defensive "percentage" football. winning CL means taking some risk and getting some/"a lot of" luck. even if we get the latter, jose has to take the first.

as much as it hurts me to say this, i dont think we have been found wanting in europe cos of our players, but cos of jose.

RM had the best team in the world yet jose lost 3 semis, very much in the same manner as we lost our semi and the round of 16 leg. we can buy reus and pogba, but they wont make a difference if we are playing ultra defensive "percentage" football. winning CL means taking some risk and getting some/"a lot of" luck. even if we get the latter, jose has to take the first.

Wasn't just talking about the two seasons under Mourinho but also the ones before that. When was the last time we actually look like a proper force in Europe? 2008/09?

Wasn't just talking about the two seasons under Mourinho but also the ones before that. When was the last time we actually look like a proper force in Europe? 2008/09?

fair enough, but i think our time is coming. in couple of years if we are able to keep all our players (especially hazard since CR would be 33 and RM would definitely come snooping around), i think we would be there there about with the likes of courtois, azpi, cesc, matic, hazard, costa all in their primes and peak of their careers. add a couple of "big names", and we ll definitely be there.

What's also amazing is how some think we are also a million miles behind City before a ball is even kicked, just because they have spunked 49M on an un-proven English winger. This Chelsea side don't need mass overhauls like United, we need players that adapt and fit the system but at a price that is both sensible for the club and fits our direction and vision from a season that we lifted the PL title with ease.

Just for the record we are 15 days into the transfer window with Begovic and Falcao already done, so that trumps your 'Without signing anyone' statement straight away. If you want quick fire signings to satisfy your needs play FIFA or FM.

who said anything about an overhaul? I didn't.

what is your point anyway? it has only been 15 days .... all signings should make sense.. when did I say anything against all these?

what the fuck?

I don't think its so much big players that we need to improve in that regard but players that help the tactics. Last season CM was a problem in big games and imo the main reason for our passive tactics, Mikel-Matic gave us very little in the way of going forward, Matic-Cesc the opposition would target the latter's not so great defensive game, Rami with any combination we could never build any serious momentum due to the fact he has the football brain of an hyena. If Aranguiz is the player people say he is (and settles well) he will help a lot in big games.

I don't think its so much big players that we need to improve in that regard but players that help the tactics. Last season CM was a problem in big games and imo the main reason for our passive tactics, Mikel-Matic gave us very little in the way of going forward, Matic-Cesc the opposition would target the latter's not so great defensive game, Rami with any combination we could never build any serious momentum due to the fact he has the football brain of an hyena. If Aranguiz is the player people say he is (and settles well) he will help a lot in big games.

But that's an 'IF' though and it's only one player. Aranguiz might help us in the big game but will he add genuine quality to the squad and give us that bit of X-factor? I don't think so. Moreover, if you take the likes of Matic, Fabregas etc out of the starting XI, we suddenly look awfully short in that midfield area. We don't even have decent replacement for them in the squad.

But that's an 'IF' though and it's only one player. Aranguiz might help us in the big game but will he add genuine quality to the squad and give us that bit of X-factor? I don't think so. Moreover, if you take the likes of Matic, Fabregas etc out of the starting XI, we suddenly look awfully short in that midfield area. We don't even have decent replacement for them in the squad.

if you take out iniesta and rakitic out of barca's mid, they look awfully short,

or if you take out modric and kroos out of RM's.

if you take out iniesta and rakitic out of barca's mid, they look awfully short,

or if you take out modric and kroos out of RM's.

That's their problem. Doesn't mean we need to accept what we have now and like I said, we don't even have ONE decent replacement for Matic/Fabregas. Didn't we moan about having Mikel and Ramires as the only back ups last season?

Of course it's an if, any player would be but it's good Jose is trying to do something about it, as good as Matic-Cesc has been for flat track bullying, there's a reason one of Rami/Mikel were always in the line up in the big game's. I'm only going from what I've heard but like I said Aranguiz seems like a decent middle ground between the two (Matic and Cesc) not as good as those two in what there good at but can do the things both are weak at better (especially defending in Cescs case).