Roman Abramovich Thread

I don't think many people realise he pays approximately £4,075,000 a week in player wages.

That isn't right... We pay approximately £3,300,000 a week for all wages according to latest accounts probably under £3m to £2.5m is paid to players, but that's just being speculative though. Your point still stands though, it isn't small money BUT the club still pay majority of it, Roman just covers the losses at this very moment.

And I don't think people realize either that should he decide to leave one day, how much the club will owe him money. That's why some people actually care about how much we spend because the more profit we as a club make the less we owe Roman money. Yes we can spend 150m for two players in the market right now through Roman's money, and we can probably even still by pass FFP rules while doing it, but if he ever decides to pick up and leave, we will be in shitload of trouble.

Roman would be a fool to just pick up and leave without selling one of the biggest clubs, revenue-wise, in the world. That's like throwing away close to £1bn, which would be idiotic. If he ever left he'd look at selling Chelsea because believe it or not, we're actually worth quite a lot as a club.

Roman would be a fool to just pick up and leave without selling one of the biggest clubs, revenue-wise, in the world. That's like throwing away close to £1bn, which would be idiotic. If he ever left he'd look at selling Chelsea because believe it or not, we're actually worth quite a lot as a club.

I'm not saying he will, just that he could. And even if he does want to sell, what do you think is more attractive to businessman wanting to make an investment: a club with half a billion pounds debt to the previous owner or a club with almost no debt?

I'm not saying he will, just that he could. And even if he does want to sell, what do you think is more attractive to businessman wanting to make an investment: a club with half a billion pounds debt to the previous owner or a club with almost no debt?

It's not as black and white as that... Even with the debt, Chelsea remain one of the biggest money making football clubs on the planet. Roman would be stupid to walk away and call in his debt, which would take years to be paid back, court etc. than just selling the club off for a huge amount of money.

And I don't think people realize either that should he decide to leave one day, how much the club will owe him money. That's why some people actually care about how much we spend because the more profit we as a club make the less we owe Roman money. Yes we can spend 150m for two players in the market right now through Roman's money, and we can probably even still by pass FFP rules while doing it, but if he ever decides to pick up and leave, we will be in shitload of trouble.

He can't just leave, he will have to sell and now we have established ourself as a global brand their will be big interest.

The way we could get introuble is if we end up with owners like Hicks+Gillett, and given the way Roman is even bashed by supporters (especially after the RDM sacking) i would stay away from SW6 for my own safety if that ever happened.

It's not as black and white as that... Even with the debt, Chelsea remain one of the biggest money making football clubs on the planet. Roman would be stupid to walk away and call in his debt, which would take years to be paid back, court etc. than just selling the club off for a huge amount of money.

Just assume for the sake of discussion that Roman decides one day that he does not want to own a football club anymore, what business man wants to come buy a club that is constantly losing money unless, like Roman, he has love for the sport and has a couple of billions he does not need?

I'm not saying that Roman is leaving tomorrow. But in fact, if the club does start to spend more wisely and actually start making money, or at least not losing, that will make it much more likely that Roman actually stays for a very long time because he would have absolutely no reason to sell a club that is making him money.

He can't just leave, he will have to sell and now we have established ourself as a global brand their will be big interest.

The way we could get introuble is if we end up with owners like Hicks+Gillett, and given the way Roman is even bashed by supporters (especially after the RDM sacking) i would stay away from SW6 for my own safety if that ever happened.

The thing is, practically, we as a club, owe Roman no money. All the money we spend are loans from an intermediate company he's set up. So he can leave and we as a club would still owe his company A LOT of money.

That is at leats my understanding of the matter.

The thing is, practically, we as a club, owe Roman no money. All the money we spend are loans from an intermediate company he's set up. So he can leave and we as a club would still owe his company A LOT of money.

That is at leats my understanding of the matter.

Really i thought it was the other way around. That we ,Chelsea, don't owe Roman any money but that the intermediate company owes the money to Roman.

Just assume for the sake of discussion that Roman decides one day that he does not want to own a football club anymore, what business man wants to come buy a club that is constantly losing money unless, like Roman, he has love for the sport and has a couple of billions he does not need?

I'm not saying that Roman is leaving tomorrow. But in fact, if the club does start to spend more wisely and actually start making money, or at least not losing, that will make it much more likely that Roman actually stays for a very long time because he would have absolutely no reason to sell a club that is making him money.

There are a lot of richer people than Roman around. There will be a lot of people interested in the CFC brand and they'll use that to potentially promote their business just like the Sheikhs do with their constant promotion of Etihad through City. Even a shrewd business man who has a decent amount to spend would look at a club who bring in £200m+ of revenue every year.

As I've said before - Roman would be dumb to just walk away without even selling Chelsea.

Really i thought it was the other way around. That we ,Chelsea, don't owe Roman any money but that the intermediate company owes the money to Roman.

No I'm pretty sure about that part. We owe Roman no money but we owe a lot of it to the company.

There are a lot of richer people than Roman around. There will be a lot of people interested in the CFC brand and they'll use that to potentially promote their business just like the Sheikhs do with their constant promotion of Etihad through City. Even a shrewd business man who has a decent amount to spend would look at a club who bring in £200m+ of revenue every year.

As I've said before - Roman would be dumb to just walk away without even selling Chelsea.

I"m not saying that he would, just that we would be in a better position if we did not lose money every year.

I"m not saying that he would, just that we would be in a better position if we did not lose money every year.

Hence why Gourlay has been busy getting us partnering with other business companies AND having more (draining) pre and post season friendlies!

Hence why Gourlay has been busy getting us partnering with other business companies AND having more (draining) pre and post season friendlies!

Yes the board has done very well in the past couple of years in terms of sponsorship deals (though I can't see how you could credit Gourlay alone). But all that would count for very little if we don't change our transfer policies. We've seen glimpses of that change with signings like Moses, Romeu and Azpi, but this window has been alarming so far with the signing of Schurrle for 23m and our reported interest in paying 50m for Cavani.

Yes the board has done very well in the past couple of years in terms of sponsorship deals (though I can't see how you could credit Gourlay alone). But all that would count for very little if we don't change our transfer policies. We've seen glimpses of that change with signings like Moses, Romeu and Azpi, but this window has been alarming so far with the signing of Schurrle for 23m and our reported interest in paying 50m for Cavani.

Guess if we want to spend big, now it's the time to do it when the FFP has not necessarily kicked in to full effect yet. We have already got a young and talented squad that will develop and drive the club forward to more success in many years ahead. Unless we have 1-2 players leaving then, then we don't really have to spend big in any way then. It's just that at this moment, we still need some quality reinforcements, which invariably will cost a bit. Also, it does look like we are in better place than the Manchester clubs and others in the league in terms of having young talented players that will become better and dominate the league in the future. Both look like they will have to continue buying players while we don't.

Guess if we want to spend big, now it's the time to do it when the FFP has not necessarily kicked in to full effect yet. We have already got a young and talented squad that will develop and drive the club forward to more success in many years ahead. Unless we have 1-2 players leaving then, then we don't really have to spend big in any way then. It's just that at this moment, we still need some quality reinforcements, which invariably will cost a bit. Also, it does look like we are in better place than the Manchester clubs and others in the league in terms of having young talented players that will become better and dominate the league in the future. Both look like they will have to continue buying players while we don't.

That's why I did not mention the signings of Hazard and Mata and such because those signings were necessary. But spending big does not always mean getting better quality. I don't want to get into the Schurrle discussion here, but I think we can all agree that we could have someone similar to him in may be half the price. And spending 60m on one player is just ridiculous. That is what I mean with change of transfer policy, I'm not saying we should become Everton and never spend more than 10m, just that for every Mata there should be an Azpi.