Roman Abramovich Thread

I personally had no knowledge of any of this, and it really helps bring into context all these Formula One, and Football links nowadays.

He has a couple of good points.

This sort of reminds me of the Narco-Football that existed in Colombian a couple of decades back with Pablo Escobar and other drug cartels.

Now it is with wealthy rich owners that as he said came into the game not looking to make money but for other reasons.

Influx of money has it's good and bad's. Right now we are reaping great benefits, but sooner or later someone will have to pay the bills.

And this is when having a good infrastructure will help offset the blow.

Having a good academy, big revenues coming in and of course a big stadium.

Which the new stadium has been some issues, and lets hope those idiots that own the grounds name will let the club move to a bigger ground.

didn't see this summary done by Daily Fail about all transfers done under Roman's management.

It's a list of the signings and a brief evaluation of them.

A decade of Roman rule: Chelsea's 72 buys under Abramovich costing a cool £713m - but who are hits and who are the misses?

He has a couple of good points.

This sort of reminds me of the Narco-Football that existed in Colombian a couple of decades back with Pablo Escobar and other drug cartels.

Now it is with wealthy rich owners that as he said came into the game not looking to make money but for other reasons.

Influx of money has it's good and bad's. Right now we are reaping great benefits, but sooner or later someone will have to pay the bills.

And this is when having a good infrastructure will help offset the blow.

Having a good academy, big revenues coming in and of course a big stadium.

Which the new stadium has been some issues, and lets hope those idiots that own the grounds name will let the club move to a bigger ground.

I think he is wrong. Everyone who knows Roman sees how much he is into football. His knowledge of and love for the sport has been great before he bought Chelsea: in the end there is nothing Putin can do about Roman's wealth anyway so there is no real need to protect it and I also do not see the benefits of owning a football club that costs u 700m when you want to "protect" your money. Even for Abramovich 700m is a huge sum he won't give away if he has not emotional attachment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was watching that Swansea City rise and fall programme on BBC 1 and a member of their supporters trust who brought the club when they were shit (and still own it to this day) said one thing that struck me.

"to run a successful football club you have to let your head rule your heart".

Next time Roman makes an unpopular decision that goes against what our hearts say we should bear that in mind.

On Roman's commitment to the club, Jose Mourinho said: “There was always these questions, ‘When is he going to sell it?’ ‘Is he in love with the club?’ ‘Is he in love with football?’ ‘Is he doing this for the right reasons?’,” Mourinho said. “But I remember when we started building Cobham. Me and Peter Kenyon were worried about getting just the right conditions and to have a good base.

“Roman was always going for more, always going for future. He was: ‘If we can build 15 pitches, why build only four?’ We said, ‘because four is what we need now – two for the first team, one for the reserves and one for the youth’.

“He was, ‘no, no, if we can build 15, then do it for the future, for the kids. The academy need the same conditions as the first team’.

“Roman is always adding ideas and pushing because he sees a future. Everybody was saying: ‘Win the Champions League or win the Premier League and he will go.’ He won the Premier League and the Champions League, and his mentality is exactly the same. He is fantastic.

“Now he’s proved it and the value of Chelsea in this market is huge. I’m 100 per-cent sure [that even] with a big offer, Roman doesn’t sell.”

On Roman's commitment to the club, Jose Mourinho said: “There was always these questions, ‘When is he going to sell it?’ ‘Is he in love with the club?’ ‘Is he in love with football?’ ‘Is he doing this for the right reasons?’,” Mourinho said. “But I remember when we started building Cobham. Me and Peter Kenyon were worried about getting just the right conditions and to have a good base.
“Roman was always going for more, always going for future. He was: ‘If we can build 15 pitches, why build only four?’ We said, ‘because four is what we need now – two for the first team, one for the reserves and one for the youth’.
“He was, ‘no, no, if we can build 15, then do it for the future, for the kids. The academy need the same conditions as the first team’.
“Roman is always adding ideas and pushing because he sees a future. Everybody was saying: ‘Win the Champions League or win the Premier League and he will go.’ He won the Premier League and the Champions League, and his mentality is exactly the same. He is fantastic.
“Now he’s proved it and the value of Chelsea in this market is huge. I’m 100 per-cent sure [that even] with a big offer, Roman doesn’t sell.”

Well Said!

was thinking the same thing.

People keep talking about how much money we spent over the last ten years etc but no one ever mentions the valuation and net worth of Chelsea in 2003 compared to what it is now.

Long term Hyper successful models always have initial losses and great investments.

Look at Google,Facebook etc.... lost money for years and years and you think of them now reaching a state of transitioning into profitability, and more than that, think of where google etc will be in 10 years.

Short team view always tends to favour negative opinions, but long term is what shows real worth and is the real marker for what success is.

Im not sure if it's well known, but one of Roman's first moves when he took over Chelsea was to call Ron Harris in and offer him a job in hospitality at Chelsea.

Bang goes the myth he doesn't care the club's history, next?