Edinson Cavani

CFC58

Great post, agree with you!

Now to answer your question: the trend is leaning towards having starting eleven full of 20 year olds who would be such prodigies that we'd have bunch of Messis running around the field in couple of years time. Doesn't matter how the club does in the mean time, main thing is that every youngster who can dribble a football can get his chance. That's what Arsenal are doing and is working for the very well - renowned for their talent for breeding youngsters to sell on for a hefty profit. Plus there's the fact that FootballManager has made everyone an expert in Financial Fair Play and squad management. A complete honour to be around such tactical maestros.

I agree with you fully. All of a sudden everyone is an accountant. I say we let the people who just got ua a 300 million pound shirt deal continue doing what they do best. They clearly fully understand FFP a bit better than most on this forum.

Its great to have talent and I see why people would want us to develop the youngsters we have brought in. But at the end of the day, all that matters in football is winning titles. To do that we need balance, youth and experience.

Sounds like Rafa wants Gomez in to replace Edinson at Napoli. Amongst all the Twitter stuff and rumors etc I cannot help but get excited about the potential of us signing this lad, he's absolute top class. I just hope at the end of all this we get his signature and I would bet seriously good money he would be a huge success here as I believe he is THAT good.

What you have with Cavani is the whole package, pace, top finisher, can lead a line I could go on, but in a nutshell he is a complete beast of a footballer. We have all been through the ups and downs with Torres the last few seasons and willing him to score and do well, you won't need that if we sign Cavani, he's deadly and will show exactly why you are paying top dollar for him.....He's no Torres, he is just miles and miles ahead of him.

The Lukaku fanboys are getting beyond annoying.

Can you talk about things in terms other than 'fanboys' - we're Chelsea supporters :wank2:

We're the people who care about the long-term future of this club and want to see it acting responsibly but also giving young players the chance they've earned.

I dont understand why there are those who are upset about Chelsea Football Club spending 50 odd million pounds on a player. It is not your money, why do you care?

Because we care about this club and want to see it something sustainable in the long-term, and not just a business to sell t-shirts around the world.

Great post, agree with you!

Now to answer your question: the trend is leaning towards having starting eleven full of 20 year olds who would be such prodigies that we'd have bunch of Messis running around the field in couple of years time. Doesn't matter how the club does in the mean time, main thing is that every youngster who can dribble a football can get his chance. That's what Arsenal are doing and it is working very well for them- renowned for their talent for breeding youngsters to sell on for a hefty profit. Plus there's the fact that FootballManager has made everyone an expert in Financial Fair Play and squad management. A complete honour to be around such tactical maestros.

Fucking ridiculous post considering the age of players like Cech, Mata, Hazard, Ramires and Luiz.

Also a complete misunderstanding of what Arsenal did (look at their panic buys of Mertesacker, Arteta, Podolski etc.). If you're going to try and be funny, try and be accurate otherwise you just look a bit silly.

Throwing money at the problem will never fully solve it. Thought we'd take a different approach towards things this summer but it seems like we've reverted back to the usual. Seems the club has a fetish of constantly being mugged off in the market, I mean £55m is a farce.

Wonder how many players will be on loan this time around. 30+ shouldn't be out of reach.

If we were signing an otherworldly talent like Ibrahimovic, Messi or Ronaldo I doubt anyone would be moaning but the only thing Lukaku lacks in comparison to Cavani is experience.

Was really looking forward to watching him develop here but I suppose watching him at Swansea or Schalke or something could be just as exciting.

If that stiker with promise is good enough, he will take his chance - he has got the right attitude for it. Mourinho doesn't hesitate of dropping dead weight, we've seen that in every club he has managed. Cavani would be much more than a shirt seller, he would be a very drastic improvement to our current strike force. You're making it sound like Lukaku is as good as Cavani, but the name 'Cavani' would just generate more money through merchandise. You don't win anything with potential.

You don't score 17 goals in your first season in the Premier League with potential either.

You win leagues with loyalty and bravery. But I'm sure I'll be swayed when there's a flag with Cavani's face printed on it waiting for me on my seat in August.

Throwing money at the problem will never fully solve it. Thought we'd take a different approach towards things this summer but it seems like we've reverted back to the usual. Seems the club has a fetish of constantly being mugged off in the market, I mean £55m is a farce.

Wonder how many players will be on loan this time around. 30+ shouldn't be out of reach.

If we were signing an otherworldly talent like Ibrahimovic, Messi or Ronaldo I doubt anyone would be moaning but the only thing Lukaku lacks in comparison to Cavani is experience.

Was really looking forward to watching him develop here but I suppose watching him at Swansea or Schalke or something could be just as exciting.

Market research showed that Cavani's face on a t-shirt sold 24% better than Lukaku's in the South China province of Guangdong. :chai:

Lukaku will be great backup for the meanwhile but Cavani was always going to be the one who took us to the level we've been wanting to get back to. Hefty price but I don't think it has as big an impact as it would have had a couple years ago. It's great that we are potentially about to make a signing that is making all the rival fans shit their pants. The closest thing to that type of signing we've had for a while is Hazard last year.

Lukaku will be great backup for the meanwhile but Cavani was always going to be the one who took us to the level we've been wanting to get back to. Hefty price but I don't think it has as big an impact as it would have had a couple years ago. It's great that we are potentially about to make a signing that is making all the rival fans shit their pants. The closest thing to that type of signing we've had for a while is Hazard last year.

So if Lukaku is unable to get us to that level, why don't we sell him and re-invest in another young striker who can get us to that level?

My personal opinion is that NO STRIKER will get us to some mythological next level and what we actually need to do is focus on the midfield and defence which is what made us the best team in England in 2005-2006. In fact we stuck with Drogba when he wasn't the beast he is now and that ultimately took us to the Champions League Final twice.

But of course that makes me a Lukaku fanboy. :wank2::wank2:

Maybe I'm just a fan of players who have a tremendous work ethic and love this club as much as some of the people on here.

You don't score 17 goals in your first season in the Premier League with potential either.

You win leagues with loyalty and bravery. But I'm sure I'll be swayed when there's a flag with Cavani's face printed on it waiting for me on my seat in August.

I agree that all of the Belgian talent we have in the club are one to look out for, but we need some sort of balance. Now if Cavani is the answer - I dont know - but he would definitely compliment our forward line. He would be expensive, true, but sometimes you have to pay high to get the best and he is one of the best out there. We can't always hit the jackpot and acquire bargain deals.

I'm not getting carried away until it is actually confirmed and at the same time I won't rest my hopes completely on Lukaku and de Bruyne to solve our problems.

You just couldn't wait to stick the last line in didn't you? You think you're a bigger, better fan than international fans just because you have the privilege to attend games? This sense of superiority oozes through you. I'm sure I'm not the first one to mention you this on this INTERNATIONAL forum. You have zero tolerance towards other opinions, especially the opinions of international fans, because you consider us to be some sort of inberds from periphery who only support Chelsea because of Roman Abramovich and his $$$. And you claim you want the best for this club? Stop with this nonsense.

Can you talk about things in terms other than 'fanboys' - we're Chelsea supporters :wank2:

We're the people who care about the long-term future of this club and want to see it acting responsibly but also giving young players the chance they've earned.

Because we care about this club and want to see it something sustainable in the long-term, and not just a business to sell t-shirts around the world.

Fucking ridiculous post considering the age of players like Cech, Mata, Hazard, Ramires and Luiz.

Also a complete misunderstanding of what Arsenal did (look at their panic buys of Mertesacker, Arteta, Podolski etc.). If you're going to try and be funny, try and be accurate otherwise you just look a bit silly.

This club is a business, and as such will run as one. You want long term finincial sustainability, guess what?...selling shirts is part of that. As is growing a fan base who will purchase those shirts among other things. You say you care about this club, but when the club invests in itself to impove the playing staff you have a problem with it? Every season this club spends a lot of money, but it also makes a lot of money...and every year the losses come down. I sometimes just think that there really is no pleasing some people.

You just couldn't wait to stick the last line in didn't you? You think you're a bigger, better fan than international fans just because you have the privilege to attend games? This sense of superiority oozes through you. I'm sure I'm not the first one to mention you this on this INTERNATIONAL forum.

Stop buying Choulo's bullshit. I've got nothing against a fan simply based on where they're from. In fact I have a lot of great discussions with fans from around the world and if anything my last comment was about some of the fairweather fans who go to Stamford Bridge.

So maybe read my posts before taking offence at them.

I agree that all of the Belgian talent we have in the club are one to look out for, but we need some sort of balance. Now if Cavani is the answer - I dont know - but he would definitely compliment our forward line. He would be expensive, true, but sometimes you have to pay high to get the best and he is one of the best out there. We can't always hit the jackpot and acquire bargain deals.

I'm not getting carried away until it is actually confirmed and at the same time I won't rest my hopes completely on Lukaku and de Bruyne to solve our problems.

Lukaku and De Bruyne won't solve our problems because our problems weren't in those positions. We lost games because we gave away cheap goals, and that was down to the defence, the pivot and general coaching issues. We didn't lose against QPR, Southampton and West Brom primarily because of a lack of goals - we lost because we bottled matches towards the end and couldn't control the game from midfield.

£50 million could've been used to strengthen the base of the team and give us a solid foundation to build on. Right now we're sticking a fancy roof on a house built on shaky foundations.

This club is a business, and as such will run as one. You want long term finincial sustainability, guess what?...selling shirts is part of that. As is growing a fan base who will purchase those shirts among other things. You say you care about this club, but when the club invests in itself to impove the playing staff you have a problem with it? Every season this club spends a lot of money, but it also makes a lot of money...and every year the losses come down. I sometimes just think that there really is no pleasing some people.

I have no problem with us spending money to improve our playing staff, but I think there has to be logic and order to it. That's something we've excelled at in the last couple of years, making bigger stars out of players like Hazard, Mata and even role players like Azpi. That's what a lot of us have enjoyed seeing.

Yes the club is a business, but it's also about the people and a lot of the supporters were looking forward to us finally taking a chance on young players like Lukaku who feel like one of us, part of the family. It would've been a brave choice to take this young man who had a remarkable season and look to him to help build our future, but instead we've gone for the 'old Chelsea' move of throwing money at the most expensive striker available.

Maybe it's a great business move, but it's not one that excites me.

So if Lukaku is unable to get us to that level, why don't we sell him and re-invest in another young striker who can get us to that level?

My personal opinion is that NO STRIKER will get us to some mythological next level and what we actually need to do is focus on the midfield and defence which is what made us the best team in England in 2005-2006. In fact we stuck with Drogba when he wasn't the beast he is now and that ultimately took us to the Champions League Final twice.

But of course that makes me a Lukaku fanboy. :wank2::wank2:

Maybe I'm just a fan of players who have a tremendous work ethic and love this club as much as some of the people on here.

This not needing a top striker is a ridiculous argument that you keep on persisting with. Getting Cavani does NOTHING to stop us from improving the midfield by the way.

This not needing a top striker is a ridiculous argument that you keep on persisting with. Getting Cavani does NOTHING to stop us from improving the midfield by the way.

You can't just say something is a ridiculous argument without pointing out why - in fact just highlight certain points and allow people to find ridicule in them themselves. You're really doing this all backwards.

And the club has shown a rather unusual commitment to FFP so having a £50 million item on the books (or an amortised item equating to roughly £10 millon per year for five years at a guess) does actually stop us from spending money in other areas.

Now the possible upside is that Jose thinks that we have the tools in-house to fix these issues and sees the likes of Nat Chalobah and even possibly RLC as being ready for the first-team. That would actually be a positive step forwards for the club and continue the new thinking we've had over the last few years.

I have no problem with us spending money to improve our playing staff, but I think there has to be logic and order to it. That's something we've excelled at in the last couple of years, making bigger stars out of players like Hazard, Mata and even role players like Azpi. That's what a lot of us have enjoyed seeing.

Yes the club is a business, but it's also about the people and a lot of the supporters were looking forward to us finally taking a chance on young players like Lukaku who feel like one of us, part of the family. It would've been a brave choice to take this young man who had a remarkable season and look to him to help build our future, but instead we've gone for the 'old Chelsea' move of throwing money at the most expensive striker available.

Maybe it's a great business move, but it's not one that excites me.

And that is fair enough, I just think in the modern era of football, Chelsea si doing a phenominal job mixing that same notion that you have mentyioned with the occasional big signing. I do genuinly believe that Lukaku will be given every chance to prove himself in this season to come. I also believe that Torres will be sold.

I guess all we really want is a winning team with its own 'Chelsea" identity, and I really do believe that is what we have.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You