Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

51 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Obviously not British, but the one that should have bucked the trend I would say was actually Ruud Gullit. I could be wrong, but I think he might well have been the first black manager to manage at the highest level in England (somewhat ironic given the negative press we've experienced over the years with regards to racism).

He was excellent in his time here and I would argue was a much greater influence than Hoddle was at setting the building blocks at the club (although no Hoddle, no Gullit). It was always a surprise when he was sacked, and whilst we continued to be successful under Vialli it would be interesting to know how we would have evolved under Gullit. (If it would have been buying a number of the crap players he brought to Newcastle then we dodged a bullet but I have read reports in the past that we were putting a move in place for Stam and were also looking at a young Van Nistelrooy)

Unfortunately he tanked at Newcastle, fell out with Shearer who was an icon there, and never recovered from that. That is maybe where some racism could be possibly argued. In Gullit's case, was his good work at Chelsea not enough for someone else to take a chance on him despite his struggles at Newcastle? David Moyes survived his United nightmare and managed to find future premier league posts on the back of the work he did at Everton and there are other similar examples. 

I never mentioned Rudd as I wanted the post just to be about British well English players really Chris Hughton has the same background as me Londoner with Irish roots. Chelsea get a lot of stick about racism but we had the first black manager, Ade Mafe was our fitness coach and Eddie Newton was someone can check this the first black assistant manager to win the champions league.

Just now, ulsterchelsea said:

Not sure why anyone concerns themselves with price? The club can afford it. As for how good he is, Frank seems to want him, Ash wants him to join and he knows a thing or two about playing decent at left back. 

I cant fully trust Ashley and Frank perspective when it comes to Ben...other targets are million miles ahead and far better than him but if that's what Frank wants no problem...just hoping it's a reasonable fair price...

6 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

I never mentioned Rudd as I wanted the post just to be about British well English players really Chris Hughton has the same background as me Londoner with Irish roots. Chelsea get a lot of stick about racism but we had the first black manager, Ade Mafe was our fitness coach and Eddie Newton was someone can check this the first black assistant manager to win the champions league.

Paul Canoville too. 

3 minutes ago, ulsterchelsea said:

Not sure why anyone concerns themselves with price? The club can afford it. As for how good he is, Frank seems to want him, Ash wants him to join and he knows a thing or two about playing decent at left back. 

because IF it is around £80m that is around £55m or so (Reguilon, Tags, Telles all in the £20m to £30m max range) that could go towards buying a damn good CB or towards Rice

FFP kneecaps us

so does the lack of timely sales on all the dregs

1 minute ago, ulsterchelsea said:

The price becomes a big factor if the player flops. We've had plenty of big money transfers in recent years that have done so, and it's left us with a noose around our neck for years to follow and the best example right now in the current squad would be Kepa.

Although I don't envisage Chilwell being that poor that he would fall into that bracket. I think he would if anything fall into the bracket of someone like Maguire who isn't worth the money but has still improved what United had which is why I'm not completely against him. I think he is a significant upgrade on what we have if we want someone who can get up and down the flank and provide genuine width for the team (and particularly if the likes of Pulisic or CHO play left wing they will be looking to cut inside on their right foots so it's even more important to have a threatening full back). Defensively I don't think he's the best which is a worry for the price being touted but he's young enough to improve that part of his game and he's at least much quicker than Alonso to not get caught out consistently simply by pace.

Having said that, if the plan is to get our first choice targets even if that takes a couple of summers instead of one, and Chilwell is more attainable than Rice at this point in time, then so be it.