Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

2 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

For me, Lukaku has to quite literally put his money where his mouth is.

If he is that desperate to facilitate a move back to Inter then he moves back there under wage terms acceptable to and agreeable with them and that is it. Absolutely no way should we be subsidising his wages in this deal, the sacrifice should be made by him. 

My understanding is also that the deal was done in instalments. Not quite sure what the terms of this are and the length of the instalments - there was talk when we got sanctioned that we still owed Inter around £70m. If this year's instalment was say £15-20m then the sensible deal is to negotiate foregoing that payment this year in exchange for loaning him back.

It's important though we try and do what we can to prevent this from being an annual problem. Even if it's at a significant loss, we need to try and build some sort of obligation into the deal whether it's at the end of a year or 2 year loan, just to know we can essentially wipe our hands clean of him.

World cup year.we could always threaten him with we wont sell him until January and we will give him zero minutes.see how the Belgians fare if they line up with Lukaku looking like Barry White in Qatar..

(although the author admits Barry White chased after Pork Chops and Pussy with alot more vigour than Le Wardrobe chased after anything less than a perfect pass)

2 hours ago, Duppy Conqueror said:

As it should have always been. One of the two major issues with Roman that held us back from even more success than we got.

Managers should never get absolute complete control. Above all else they don't have time to scout and manage the team.

Giving Tuchel a blank canvas will put us further away from City and Liverpool, not closer.

Edited by Tomo

50 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Managers should never get absolute complete control. Above all else they don't have time to scout and manage the team.

Given Tuchel a blank canvas will put us further away from City and Liverpool, not closer.

I think it is more to do with Boehly and Co not knowing who tf to sign and are having to delegate to Tuchels experience. Similarly to how Cech bought Mendy when it was not his job, Tuchel is being charged with the rebuild. Not saying this is a great idea but at least he is accountable for whoever he brings in. New manager 23/24 season?

58 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Given Tuchel a blank canvas will put us further away from City and Liverpool, not closer.

I agree. Recruitment and tactics are two totally different skillsets. Manager will also have tunnel vision and will generally prioritise immediate gains over long-term building

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

I'm a huge fan of Tuchel and I want him to be given genuine time and backing to rebuild the side and establish the team in his own image and philosophy.

But he can't just be given complete control. There are so many aspects to not just scouting but the financial dealings of a transfer and its affordability. It takes a team effort to make this work.

From reports that I have read in the past, whilst the manager at Chelsea is part of the discussions and transfer strategy, they don't necessarily get the final say over the club and there are also club transfers which are made over and above the manager. I believe Lukaku was in this bracket and I also feel that Havertz was also in this bracket when Lampard was manager. 

For me, Tuchel should have the voice and control to veto signings that he doesn't want or feels don't fit into what he is building. 

I actually doubt the report anyway. In today's day and age, managers rely on stats and data to help drive training, tactics, etc and scouting is no different. He may have some players he 'likes' but I would fully expect him to want scouting reports and data to be provided on a number of different options to help make recruitment decisions anyway. 

Think Skriniar would do well in a back 3 as he shares many characteristics with Rüdiger. But he lacks one of the main things that made Toni so special which is amazing pace. Skriniar isn’t Harry Maguire levels of slow but he’s certainly nowhere near Rüdiger.

Still, if Inter are open to some form of swap I think Lautaro makes more sense. 

3 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Think Skriniar would do well in a back 3 as he shares many characteristics with Rüdiger. But he lacks one of the main things that made Toni so special which is amazing pace. Skriniar isn’t Harry Maguire levels of slow but he’s certainly nowhere near Rüdiger.

Yes that also my main issue with Skriniar.

12 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

Not sure how easy it would be to sort and how the financials would stack up, but a swap loan deal for next season might make sense between Lukaku and Skriniar. I'd personally like Bastoni but I just don't see him being as willing to move as Skriniar I think would be.

It fills a pressing need for us next season with, on paper, a very good defender whilst not having to use a huge chunk of any transfer budgets. 

It might just turn out to be an opportunity for a try before buy. If he proved to be an excellent signing, and looked like he was worth a £40-50m purchase, it may make things easier perhaps next summer to facilitate a swap transfer between the two players.

1 minute ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Not sure how easy it would be to sort and how the financials would stack up, but a swap loan deal for next season might make sense between Lukaku and Skriniar. I'd personally like Bastoni but I just don't see him being as willing to move as Skriniar I think would be.

It fills a pressing need for us next season with, on paper, a very good defender whilst not having to use a huge chunk of any transfer budgets. 

It might just turn out to be an opportunity for a try before buy. If he proved to be an excellent signing, and looked like he was worth a £40-50m purchase, it may make things easier perhaps next summer to facilitate a swap transfer between the two players.

Skriniar would be a hard pull too, but Marotta has said they will sacrifice 1 high profile player so i think Bastoni is still possible.

12 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I'm afraid Lautaro might be too lightweight for PL. I get the Morata vibes of him. 

Maybe @Vesper can ededucate me on this since she always does good detail analysis. 

But I'm on the sides with Lautaro if he can handle the PL. 

Skriniar also plays on the right side at Inter from what I gather on YouTube. Which is where Koundé will play if we get him and where we have cover already in Chalobah.

We really want a left footed, left sided CB. Which is why Gvardiol is ideal. Much higher ceiling and much younger than Skriniar as well.