Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

I just don’t see his height as that big of a deal. If he had that lack of height AND was also very sleight and skinny I’d be cautious. But he’s built like a tank and has a great leap on him. I don’t really ever hear about his height being a weakness when I read about him.

Him taking chances on the ball is definitely something that needs to be taken out of his game and cleaned up. But l’d take someone who is slightly risky with the ball than someone who is totally passive and soft like Christensen was in that right CB position.

As for the back 4 vs back 3 thing, he is well capable of playing as a RB if necessary. He has done it numerous times. Not worried about that.

1 hour ago, MoroccanBlue said:

I'm more worried about his decision making in dangerous areas than his height, which to be honest isn't that much of a concern for me anyway. 

Think you two are both underestimating the difference between the leagues when it comes to physical contact in aerial duels and what it is like to be targeted like he would be. Yeah, he is fine is a less physical environment of La Liga and International football but that isn't a like-for-like situation with the PL.

This is exactly what happened with Kepa. Kepa in La Liga was pretty brave and had good/decent statistical numbers at cross collection, then he got to the PL and got bum rushed. Of course, he may be able to handle it, but when you're talking about €70m'ish to get hold of the player and a mega contract, that isn't a risk I would be happy to take. 

Edited by King Kante

16 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Think you two are both underestimating the difference between the leagues when it comes to physical contact in aerial duels and what it is like to be targeted like he would be. Yeah, he is fine is a less physical environment of La Liga and International football but that isn't a like-for-like situation with the PL.

This is exactly what happened with Kepa. Kepa in La Liga was pretty brave and had good/decent statistical numbers at cross collection, then he got to the PL and got bum rushed. Of course, he may be able to handle it, but when you're talking about €70m'ish to get hold of the player and a mega contract, that isn't a risk I would be happy to take. 

I just don’t think height alone makes a huge difference in how teams attack you. Look at Leicester this season who I think conceded by far the most goals from corners and set pieces. Their team has several really tall CB’s and it didn’t matter.

It’s more about how you set up and mark opponents. 

53 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I just don’t think height alone makes a huge difference in how teams attack you. Look at Leicester this season who I think conceded by far the most goals from corners and set pieces. Their team has several really tall CB’s and it didn’t matter.

It’s more about how you set up and mark opponents. 

It obviously helps to have the height of Van Dijk accompanied with his ability but this whole Kounde won't do well because of his height is absolute nonsense. 

As said before, he is built like a tank and from what I can see, he clearly reads the game to a high level. 

I think I'm right in saying he is only slightly shorter than what Carvalho was and what Silva is.

1 hour ago, DDA said:

It obviously helps to have the height of Van Dijk accompanied with his ability but this whole Kounde won't do well because of his height is absolute nonsense. 

As said before, he is built like a tank and from what I can see, he clearly reads the game to a high level. 

I think I'm right in saying he is only slightly shorter than what Carvalho was and what Silva is.

Well let's see, without his Barnet he is around 5"8.5. I can get you pictures of him next to other players for size comparison to show he certainly isn't 5'10-5'11". I mean lets not forget Bilbao had Kepa listed at 6"2.5 whereas he is closer to 6". 

As for the height and whether he can handle it, is very much open to question. For sure, I cannot disprove it but equally you can't prove he can as there isn't any evidence of him being targeted like he will be in the PL. Personally I see a situation where he'll get the treatment Dave ended up getting as a RCB where teams started to play the back ball cross against him constantly so I hope he has some of Dave's sh*thousery antics in his bag to help out.

That however is only half my concern as his play style is also dangerous and in the PL he'll face a lot more harassment on the ball than he does in La Liga. 

Obviously this is only my 2cents but mine and @Vesper  concerns about him are justifiable. 

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

Well let's see, without his Barnet he is around 5"8.5. I can get you pictures of him next to other players for size comparison to show he certainly isn't 5'10-5'11". I mean lets not forget Bilbao had Kepa listed at 6"2.5 whereas he is closer to 6". 

As for the height and whether he can handle it, is very much open to question. For sure, I cannot disprove it but equally you can't prove he can as there isn't any evidence of him being targeted like he will be in the PL. Personally I see a situation where he'll get the treatment Dave ended up getting as a RCB where teams started to play the back ball cross against him constantly so I hope he has some of Dave's sh*thousery antics in his bag to help out.

That however is only half my concern as his play style is also dangerous and in the PL he'll face a lot more harassment on the ball than he does in La Liga. 

Obviously this is only my 2cents but mine and @Vesper  concerns about him are justifiable. 

What do you mean by his playstyle is dangerous? 

He's a progressive ball playing CB but when watching him he plays no differently to Rudiger but with less chaotic runs going forward.

I still believe Rudiger has been massively overrated by many. He was obviously excellent the last two seasons but he was caught out a hell of a lot, especially in a back 4.

13 minutes ago, DDA said:

What do you mean by his playstyle is dangerous? 

He's a progressive ball playing CB but when watching him he plays no differently to Rudiger but with less chaotic runs going forward.

I still believe Rudiger has been massively overrated by many. He was obviously excellent the last two seasons but he was caught out a hell of a lot, especially in a back 4.

I agree with you on Rudigar and Kounde. 

btw what is the opinion of Darwin Nunez?

3 hours ago, Clockwork said:

I agree with you on Rudigar and Kounde. 

btw what is the opinion of Darwin Nunez?

If I'm honest, I can't quite tell wether Darwin just looks good in a poor league or if in fact his size, agility and natural eye for a goal could, If in the right hands be nurtured into something formidable. 

Straight of the bat, he has quicker feet and explosive intent than Romelu which instantly makes him a more beneficial option for us. He has all the traits that a typically successful Chelsea striker of modern time possesses in comparison to all predecessors such as Drogs and Costa. 

I kept a keen eye on him against Liverpool in the CL and he did actually play pretty well in his overall game, capping off with a goal.

I'd take a punt on him over Lukaku all day, any day of the week. Even with little to no detailed knowledge of him.

10 hours ago, Hashishi said:

Tchouameni and Kamara signed. Rice valued at 150m. I don't think we are signing a DM. Jorginho should go to Juve this year and we sign a Milinkovic savic type midfielder instead.

If we aren't signing a DM then Jorginho should stay. Selling him without a proper replacement is like asking for trouble.

Edited by Blues Forever

6 minutes ago, Strike said:

Gvardiol, Kounde, Dembele

That’s the dream. Add a new wingback and it would be a great window.

1 minute ago, Strike said:

Only area where it doesn't appear there are viable targets anymore is at CDM/CM

Wonder if it would be possible to tempt West Ham with cash + a player for Rice. There were reports yesterday that they are interested in Broja. They’ve been interested in RLC in the past. 

If not I’d absolutely love for us to go for the guy I’ve been wanting for the past couple of windows: Renato Sanches. He looked awesome against us in that CL game.