Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

2 hours ago, DDA said:

If we intent to play with a back 3 and 2 wingback, I think a player like Nkunku would deployed as an inside forward with James or Chilwell overlapping. 

I hope not, both went up a level when Tuchel allowed them freedom to roam more in the middle.

As hug the touchline wingbacks both are average in an attacking sense.

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

Hyped, saw much activity, now reading we can't shift Romulus, lack of buyers, disgusted.

That's the sticking point for me. If we can't get shot of him (and to an extent Pulisic) it will be hard for me to get hyped for the new season regardless of what we do incoming wise.

Edited by Tomo

47 minutes ago, Vesper said:

PSG 'will let Neymar LEAVE if the right offer comes in this summer' with his status at the club 'deteriorating'... but 'Man City, Man United, Liverpool and Real Madrid have no interest in him - and he doesn't want to join Newcastle'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10852641/PSG-let-Neymar-LEAVE-right-offer-comes-summer-status-deteriorating.html

snip

But Neymar still has three years left on a contract which pays him £3.4m per month, is happy and settled in the French capital and is the second-highest player at the club - meaning he has no real motivation to leave.

Surely for FFP reasons alone we can't afford to pay him over £40m a year? I mean; even if we replace Kepa with Bettinelli, then brought back Broja, Colwill, Gallagher, Maatsen, and Sterling, we'd still struggle to afford it wouldn't we? Even then it wouldn't last long because we'd need to extend them all on first team money. Savings made by not recruiting expensively from outside would quickly get chewed up.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

Personally for me, i hope we stay away from Neymar purely because of this..

"Neymar expanded on his desire to play in the U.S. by saying that since the MLS season is shorter than the European season, he would get "three months' vacation."

Now he may be joking but it gives us a small insight to his mindset as a footballer atm and for me it doesnt warrant the wages we're going to have to pay him if he were to come here.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

That's the sticking point for me. If we can't get shot of him (and to an extent Pulisic) it will be hard for me to get hyped for the new season regardless of what we do incoming wise.

I have to say, I feel exactly the same way. The very thought having to watch Lukaku thumble around trying to control the ball, ruining attack after attack is a deflating feeling. 

I don't know about finishing better than last season, but I hope we can do all we can to prevent falling behind our 3rd placed finish.

If we can adequately replace our outgoing defenders and avoid injuries to key players, that would be great IMO.

It'll be interesting to see how PSG deal with Neymar. 

They surely cannot keep him, Mbappe and Messi on the mega wages they're all on, and move for other big names on very well paid contracts this summer like Dembele.

Like others have suggested, I can't see where he goes this summer. I think there's a very real possibility that if PSG want him out (at the request of appeasing Mbappe) they might have to let him leave on loan and cover some of his wages. If anyone was in for him I think they would hold the negotiating power.

A season on loan under our terms I wouldn't be against, especially if we can't get Dembele. 

26 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

They surely cannot keep him, Mbappe and Messi on the mega wages they're all on, and move for other big names on very well paid contracts this summer like Dembele.

Like others have suggested, I can't see where he goes this summer. I think there's a very real possibility that if PSG want him out (at the request of appeasing Mbappe) they might have to let him leave on loan and cover some of his wages. If anyone was in for him I think they would hold the negotiating power.

A season on loan under our terms I wouldn't be against, especially if we can't get Dembele. 

But will he press?

I'd rather get Dembele or even Raphinha, Gnabry, anyone in their prime, approaching their prime, over 30 year old Neymar.

I honestly don't see why everyone is so keen on Dembele. He has been incredibly underwhelming and injury prone since going to Barca bar these last 9 months. His attitude to training and diet is also very questionable. Then we come to the fact he hasn't ever really performed to a great level in a big match.

The cynic in me think the only reason he has recently raised his effort levels in the past 9 months is due to him needing a new contract. Only hope I have here is he a TT have some kind bond so he keeps his level up if he moves here. 

Also, not a massive fan of Sterling but would prefer him to Dembele. I question a little how much Sterling has in the tank and I am not sure he is what I call elite. 

Raphina is the AM I would go for personally as he has a great attitude and has carried Leeds on his back at times this season. 

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

There were rumors a couple of years ago that he could go to Real Madrid. I could only see them as a possible destination. The only other clubs that could afford his wages are the Manchester clubs but City have zero need for him since they’re loaded in that area and United have (probably) learned their lesson about going for flashy names rather than players who fit their team.

Tchouameni has an agreement with Real Madrid and prefers them over other clubs but there is no agreement with Monaco yet. PSG are able to make big offer for Tchouameni, hence the transfer is being delayed. Monaco are now asking Real Madrid for more than the €80m originally requested. 

3 hours ago, Strike said:

But will he press?

I'd rather get Dembele or even Raphinha, Gnabry, anyone in their prime, approaching their prime, over 30 year old Neymar.

I would agree but you would probably look at accommodating that in the same way we always did with hazard. He's obviously supremely talented and could justify a more free role if he's creating and scoring. Unfortunately for Lukaku he's just not a good enough footballer to justify that.

2 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I would agree but you would probably look at accommodating that in the same way we always did with hazard. He's obviously supremely talented and could justify a more free role if he's creating and scoring. Unfortunately for Lukaku he's just not a good enough footballer to justify that.

The difference with Hazard is we had plenty of resale value. If Neymar flops, we are stuck with an alexis sanchez. A loan would be ideal but again, it isn't addressing the issue and most of the loan would be spent adapting to the league. That being said, the wingers on offer this year do not really entice me. I do not want Dembele or Gnabry anywhere near Chelsea. Raphinha may be a shout, but for the right price as he has only proven himself in Leeds.

4 minutes ago, Hashishi said:

The difference with Hazard is we had plenty of resale value. If Neymar flops, we are stuck with an alexis sanchez. A loan would be ideal but again, it isn't addressing the issue and most of the loan would be spent adapting to the league. That being said, the wingers on offer this year do not really entice me. I do not want Dembele or Gnabry anywhere near Chelsea. Raphinha may be a shout, but for the right price as he has only proven himself in Leeds.

Neymar will always have resale value. He’s one of the 3 most famous footballers on the planet. He could come here and lose a leg and you’d still have clubs lining up to take him off our hands because he’d sell millions of shirts.