Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

55 minutes ago, Strike said:

Not really. Did well for the goals but Watford targeted him for a reason. WB is a tiring position - Alonso should be rotated + kept away from big games.

What is your solution with Chilwell out? Play CHO there? I ask because if we do then teams are just going to target CHO as whilst he is quick, his defending isn't great.

Additionally, considering he was targeted, shouldn't Alonso get credit for dealing with it reasonably considering the pressure he was put under? 

3 minutes ago, King Kante said:

What is your solution with Chilwell out? Play CHO there? I ask because if we do then teams are just going to target CHO as whilst he is quick, his defending isn't great.

Additionally, considering he was targeted, shouldn't Alonso get credit for dealing with it reasonably considering the pressure he was put under? 

Agree. CHO has been our most dangerous winger recently.. It would be quite a shame to make him play wingback, not to speak about his defensive skills. Alonso or Dave are better options IMO, let Callum play in his natural position.

50 minutes ago, nyikolajevics said:

Agree. CHO has been our most dangerous winger recently.. It would be quite a shame to make him play wingback, not to speak about his defensive skills. Alonso or Dave are better options IMO, let Callum play in his natural position.

I don't really get this. 

Look at the positions Alonso gets in and you'd make a case that CHO can be effective in those areas too. Alonso has never been great defensively nor positionally. Just a body for set pieces really his only defensive trait. Rudiger and Kante/Kovacic make up for Alonso's lack of pace and defensive awareness. 

Dave at LWB is just comical and will negate our left flank even more. Either recall Maatsen and have he and Alonso as our options or CHO and Alonso moving forward. 

2 hours ago, Warning_Hazard said:

Whatever watfords plan was didnt work though did it, The man being tageted helped with assists maybe they targeted him because now bare with me here its a big brain thought.......they knew he was a threat!??

No, they knew he is slow. And he didnt deal with the threat at all. We conceded a lot of chances from the left flank. Watford's wastefulness in attack makes no difference to Alonso's performance at the back.

Solution to Chilwell injury is to rotate Alonso with CHO. Play CHO in the important games. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

He had a strong game against Madrid. He works better pinned up front in a high press because he's not the one chasing back.

All he needs a time machine so someone could tell him he aint a RB/RWB, but a striker! would have made 3x as much too.

• 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, lucio said:

Looks like he’s off. Low key one of the best strikers of a ball in recent Chelsea history. He was pretty bad apart from that but was a pleasure seeing some of those goals and shots 

Overall has been a very good servant. Was essential during the Conte era. If you rolled back the years I wouldn't mind keeping him, but he's over 30 now and slower, so probably time to move on to a slower league. His direct free-kicks were also always dangerous from that right-hand side, always seemed to hit the target or get close to it.

Edited by manpe

5 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Never understood why people hated him so much; yeah he had limitations but equally he had some top traits. For me he looks like he is off, if so I will wish him luck and thank him for his service. 

The calls for Emerson to replace him were truly odd.

15 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Never understood why people hated him so much; yeah he had limitations but equally he had some top traits. For me he looks like he is off, if so I will wish him luck and thank him for his service. 

Because he is extremely limited the rare goals do not make up for his limitation. There is a reason Conte tried to replace him immediately, his first year was his best in a Chelsea uniform.