Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

I still think he is in general a garbage player but probably in the best form of his career. He turns 31 in 3 months tho and his lack of pace is killing a lot of our plays. he makes up for it with his direct goal threat but we would be better if he was just a tiny bit faster. Anyway, if Chilly really is not the solution than we have to buy anew. We will not win CL again with him starting throughout the campain. Alonso is fine vs meh teams like Spuds and Arse but he will struggle big time vs City, ManUre, PSg, Bayern like he did vs Liverpool

On 20/09/2021 at 01:36, Magic Lamps said:

I still think he is in general a garbage player but probably in the best form of his career. He turns 31 in 3 months tho and his lack of pace is killing a lot of our plays. he makes up for it with his direct goal threat but we would be better if he was just a tiny bit faster. Anyway, if Chilly really is not the solution than we have to buy anew. We will not win CL again with him starting throughout the campain. Alonso is fine vs meh teams like Spuds and Arse but he will struggle big time vs City, ManUre, PSg, Bayern like he did vs Liverpool

I think he as been one of the best LB/LWB's in Europe so far

in terms of actual great play the best I have seen so far this year are

no real order

Alphonso Davies  (still not at pre injury level yet)
Andrew Robertson
Theo Hernández (my number one want by far, for years now, he would be a monster in the Tuchel system)   
Raphaël Guerreiro  
Marcos Alonso
Borna Sosa (assist machine)

Vitaliy Mykolenko 
Douglas Santos (was very impressed with him against us)

honourable mention

Leonardo Spinazzola until he blew out his Achilles was playing to an insane level, damn shame he turns 29 in March, as he likely will not (if he ever does) return to his pre injury level until he is almost (or is) 30, I am 90% convinced he was coming here until the injury (my evidence is that Marina (of all people) was literally one of the first non Italians to wish him a speedy recovery, within hours (minutes?) of his injury being diagnosed as an Achilles rupture)

amazing turn around for Alonso from 9 months ago

and I AM sorta worried about Chilwell

do not understand why he is basically not playing at all, we cannot run Alonso into the ground

Guardiola blocked alonso to stop us, and since we got nothing else going on, it worked wonders. Not really surprising, given how well alonso has been playing lately. Folks here really don’t understand Alonso’s role it seems.

honestly thought the discussion would’ve been around lukakus United performance, but I guess…silly me. 

3 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Guardiola blocked alonso to stop us, and since we got nothing else going on, it worked wonders. Not really surprising, given how well alonso has been playing lately. Folks here really don’t understand Alonso’s role it seems.

honestly thought the discussion would’ve been around lukakus United performance, but I guess…silly me. 

Pep is a genius at targeting a perceived weak link in the chain. I sort of wish Tuchel had thrown a curveball and rolled with Chilwell, plus not used a 2 striker, 3 CMF set up.

42 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Pep is a genius at targeting a perceived weak link in the chain. I sort of wish Tuchel had thrown a curveball and rolled with Chilwell, plus not used a 2 striker, 3 CMF set up.

Mostly agree, although I don't necessarily consider Alonso a weak link, especially since we play with 3 at the back. He's often someone who needs stopping, which is what Pep did. Though perhaps chilwell should've come on once it became evident alonso was controlled. Chilwell must not be training super well atm.

I think the balance was off and I have my doubts that we can match them at all with a luxury player on the pitch (dedicated striker).

Of course Alonso is a weak link. Not the first time he’s been hauled off early in a game for a terrible performance in his Chelsea career. When he gets dropped that won’t be the first time or the first manager who’s done it either, in fact every manager he’s played under has eventually dropped him.

Edited by ja1

Marcos is the same as he ever was. He is what he is. He is NOT the problem. The problem is the £50m transfer fee spent to recruit an upgrade. Clearly, as far as TT is concerned, that upgrade attempt failed. I now expect to see Marcos continue to start but eventually TT will turn to Chilly. Some time after that he will be forced to accept that there was a reason he was preferring Marcos and the cycle will continue.