Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

2 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

We know that WB suits Marcos better but we also know that 15 months ago SFL agreed with the vast majority of the fanbase that we needed an upgrade whether it was for LWB or LB. Marcos isn't the problem. The upgrade is. It may be fitness but it's also possible that TT is now agreeing with the Leicester City fans who, through their forum comments, made it clear that they didn't think Ben Chilwell was the right solution. If TT is now thinking this too then we are out £50m (reportedly) and back to square one anyway.

DELE DATE 

Dele Alli poses with Ben Chilwell after enjoying double date with blonde beauty

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/15993175/dele-alli-ben-chilwell-date/

TM-comp-Dele.jpg?w=750Chelsea player Ben Chilwell was joined by a brunette girlThe girls share a smile and giggle as they head off for the eveningChelsea ace Ben and his date look relaxed together

7 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

We know that WB suits Marcos better but we also know that 15 months ago SFL agreed with the vast majority of the fanbase that we needed an upgrade whether it was for LWB or LB. Marcos isn't the problem. The upgrade is. It may be fitness but it's also possible that TT is now agreeing with the Leicester City fans who, through their forum comments, made it clear that they didn't think Ben Chilwell was the right solution. If TT is now thinking this too then we are out £50m (reportedly) and back to square one anyway.

Have to  strongly disagree. Chilwell is miles better than Alonso at wingback and as a player overall. alonso just looks competent for this short purple patch of his and will return to being an absolutely shitty useless sloth sooner rather than later.

Chilwell is our most complete wingback. Defensively aware and offensively more of constant threat than RJ without the amoung of defensive errors. I am pretty sure it is just fitness concerns that make him sit out not that he has been displaced by alonso.

Also if Alonso was not the problem, he would not need an upgrade in the first place so your assessment is off a bit.

Edited by Magic Lamps

56 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Have to  strongly disagree. Chilwell is miles better than Alonso at wingback and as a player overall. alonso just looks competent for this short purple patch of his and will return to being an absolutely shitty useless sloth sooner rather than later.

Chilwell is our most complete wingback. Defensively aware and offensively more of constant threat than RJ without the amoung of defensive errors. I am pretty sure it is just fitness concerns that make him sit out not that he has been displaced by alonso.

Also if Alonso was not the problem, he would not need an upgrade in the first place so your assessment is off a bit.

Alonso is the man in form and chilwell didnt even break into the England 11 and has been warming the bench for ages now.

Edited by Warning_Hazard

2 minutes ago, Warning_Hazard said:

Alonso is the man in form and chilwell didnt even break into the England 11 and has been warming the bench for ages now.

So? At least Chilwell is in the squad. alonso is not even in the worst spain squad in ages. Alonso was terrible vs Liverpool, his short patch of form is clearly over.

1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

Yes, Marcos is exactly the same player he ever was. A player who, if he were to be the squad's best option at LB/LWB, should trigger an incoming transfer to rectify the situation. That is exactly where we were 15 months ago.

I made no comment about weather Marcos is the better option. I posted about the fact that he is currently keeping Ben out of the side. The reason, we hear, is that it's a question of Ben's match fitness. If so then it's as we were. If, however, Marcos continues to be selected ahead of Ben then there is a problem and that problem would be Ben. He was expensively acquired to fix a problem. If a problem remains then that would clearly mean the fix failed.

My issue with Ben all along was based on the fact that I believe we here have a better take on the strengths and weaknesses of Chelsea players than non Chelsea fans generally do. If that's true for us then it will be true for each set of fans in respect of their own players. I think it is wise to respect the opinions of fans about their own team''s players. I was therefore concerned about what many Leicester fans said about Ben when his transfer was being negotiated. Many mentioned how frustrated they were with his contribution and how they preferred the transfer fee to the player. If TT has come to share their point of view then it would indeed be a problem.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

I think what Tuchel has said is to be believed.

The difference that Chilwell has experienced compared to the other boys is there is a player in his position that Tuchel does trust who started the pre season at the very start and has been playing pretty decent, so it is probably assumed by Tuchel that it's a risk to change to an undercooked Chilwell at this moment. I think if a lesser side would have been opposition last weekend rather than Liverpool away we may have seen Chilwell play.

The options at right wing back and centre midfield have been either a bit thinner or Tuchel doesn't place enough trust in backup/squad options hence why James and Jorginho have found their way into the team quicker. Mount is probably a different case because Tuchel seems to be a huge fan of him playing but even then we've had injuries/illness to Pulisic and Ziyech leaving us thinner in this position too.

I've no doubts as things settle that it will be evident that Chilwell is first choice here, but I also think that Tuchel has enough faith in Alonso to play when he's needed. Alonso as a squad player for the wing back role is actually a pretty good option to have. He has obvious weaknesses in his game but in a wing back formation some of them are covered by the back 3 behind him. He will always chip in a healthy goal rate too for a defensive option. I have a massive problem with Alonso playing in a back 4, but as wing back no issues from me as an option in the squad.

22 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think what Tuchel has said is to be believed.

The difference that Chilwell has experienced compared to the other boys is there is a player in his position that Tuchel does trust who started the pre season at the very start and has been playing pretty decent, so it is probably assumed by Tuchel that it's a risk to change to an undercooked Chilwell at this moment. I think if a lesser side would have been opposition last weekend rather than Liverpool away we may have seen Chilwell play.

The options at right wing back and centre midfield have been either a bit thinner or Tuchel doesn't place enough trust in backup/squad options hence why James and Jorginho have found their way into the team quicker. Mount is probably a different case because Tuchel seems to be a huge fan of him playing but even then we've had injuries/illness to Pulisic and Ziyech leaving us thinner in this position too.

I've no doubts as things settle that it will be evident that Chilwell is first choice here, but I also think that Tuchel has enough faith in Alonso to play when he's needed. Alonso as a squad player for the wing back role is actually a pretty good option to have. He has obvious weaknesses in his game but in a wing back formation some of them are covered by the back 3 behind him. He will always chip in a healthy goal rate too for a defensive option. I have a massive problem with Alonso playing in a back 4, but as wing back no issues from me as an option in the squad.

Agree. The amount of players we have had at Chelsea who hit rough patches/dont hit the heights of being consistantly world class makes for a big list.

What we have at the moment is the makings of a nice cake, Changing the ingrediants based on nothing, not even current form is conference level baffonery at best.

How alonso can be critisised by a few this badly for his start to the campaign is simply unbeleivable.

Im starting to think many on this forum are swithcing between forums and football manager 21 ffs!

Edited by Warning_Hazard

Even if last season under TT is anything to go by can you really say Chilwell is number one and Alonso number two?

They pretty much shared minutes in PL. Alonso started first 4 of 6 games in PL under TT. And Alonso played in great wins against Everton and City (scored winner). Played 180mins against Atletico as well.

We did not suffer defensively at all because of him. After Alonso scored winner against City he was benched last 3 PL games and we lost 2. 

I am sure TT analyzed all this during summer and maybe he found some other conclusions. For this formation and this specific role LWB I am not sure there is a better player in the world than MA!

8 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Even if last season under TT is anything to go by can you really say Chilwell is number one and Alonso number two?

They pretty much shared minutes in PL. Alonso started first 4 of 6 games in PL under TT. And Alonso played in great wins against Everton and City (scored winner). Played 180mins against Atletico as well.

We did not suffer defensively at all because of him. After Alonso scored winner against City he was benched last 3 PL games and we lost 2. 

I am sure TT analyzed all this during summer and maybe he found some other conclusions. For this formation and this specific role LWB I am not sure there is a better player in the world than MA!

Your preference for slow ass scrawny guys is hilarious. You really think Marcos Alonso is the best LWB for a 3-4-3? Really cracked me up

22 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Chilwell is better in some aspects and worse in others. We all agree that pace is pretty important for a lb as well as a wing back, and Alonso lacks there. On the other hand he's still a pretty skillful player who can definitely influence games when he's fit. And he's definitely fit right now, at least to my eyes. 

I don't really think he's just goals; think his passing, esp in tight spaces, is what makes him a good player.

Chilwell will take over in time once he's fit and playing better than alonso in training, as it's supposed to be. Think Tuchel is always sending a message here, which is absolutely top management imo.

Edited by robsblubot

• 3 weeks later...