The Mourinho Thread

The only thing with teams that let us have the ball is that we should play lampard for goal threat from the middle and we should find a way to allow BOTH fullbacks to attack without exposing us defensively.

That's the main thing that's hampering us, indeed. My largest disagreement with Jose's selections in these sort of games is exactly this; how he continues to play Azpi on the left thus narrowing our width and attacking options to solely Hazard on that left side, and how Ivanovic who isn't great or even good offensively continues to play on the right.

Personally, against teams that let us have the ball I would play a back seven of:

Cech

Azpi - Luiz(*) - Terry - Cole

Matic - Lampard

*DL would be in there if he was having a decent season because he gives us a larger attacking impetus but obviously and rightfully Cahill has been outplaying him this season but my point is that we'd have an extra offensive weapon at the back and if Luiz plays well defensively it's a great weapon to have.

That is a solid team IMO and would allow us to create a lot more, but Jose is more conservative in his team selection. I get that we'd probably let in a few more goals with that team but at the same time if the balance is right we'd also create more clear cut chances.

That's the main thing that's hampering us, indeed. My largest disagreement with Jose's selections in these sort of games is exactly this; how he continues to play Azpi on the left thus narrowing our width and attacking options to solely Hazard on that left side, and how Ivanovic who isn't great or even good offensively continues to play on the right.

Personally, against teams that let us have the ball I would play a back seven of:

Cech

Azpi - Luiz(*) - Terry - Cole

Matic - Lampard

*DL would be in there if he was having a decent season because he gives us a larger attacking impetus but obviously and rightfully Cahill has been outplaying him this season but my point is that we'd have an extra offensive weapon at the back and if Luiz plays well defensively it's a great weapon to have.

That is a solid team IMO and would allow us to create a lot more, but Jose is more conservative in his team selection. I get that we'd probably let in a few more goals with that team but at the same time if the balance is right we'd also create more clear cut chances.

What jose should do is to read the game plan of the opposition early and know whether they have any plans of stepping out of their half, and let more players join the attack as early as possible (30th mins)

Especially letting the leftback take some markers off hazard and overload the left flank so that hazard can be more free.

What jose should do is to read the game plan of the opposition early and know whether they have any plans of stepping out of their half, and let more players join the attack as early as possible (30th mins)

Especially letting the leftback take some markers off hazard and overload the left flank so that hazard can be more free.

I'm pretty sure he does, but when he puts players incapable/uncomfortable of doing just that in the team (i.e. Azpi on the left) then it's useless. Just like how you don't want Ivanovic to be your outlet on the right.

He has to put more offensively dangerous people there in the first place for it to work.

Don't get me wrong, it worked in his first stint here, but there will come a time when everybody, including the press, will get tired of his bollocks. That's what happened in Spain, and it would be less than desirable to see the same thing happen here.

The press will never get tired of this. When Jose wasn't in England they were crying their eyes out, he's like Santa Claus to them, and every press conference and interview is like christmas.

I think having van aanholt here next year could help us against teams that play with 11 hundred men behind the ball. He is imo better than any of our current left backs in scoring and creating chances and is so pacey that he could recover if need should the other team counter attack.

I'd rather have Azpi up against world class wingers, but for relegation teams, I think would be really handy.

Precisely. We often don't take most of our chances during a match,and this is what prompts Mourinho to become cautious when we're protecting a 1-0 lead againtst West Brom, or say even a 3-0 one against UTD.

Eliminate the defensive frailties with a very stable back 4, add a reliable goalscorer upfront, and we could see a drastic change in the team's play and of course, the results

That is another reason. Our finishing is the worst among the top half teams.

But from mourinho's tactics ivanovic is the attacking fullback while the leftback sits deeper.

When teams refuse to come out, we should let both fullbacks hug the flanks especially on hazards side where people are now triple marking him. We'll be able to break up any defence when lampards distance shooting from the pivot is added on top of that.

Precisely. We often don't take most of our chances during a match,and this is what prompts Mourinho to become cautious when we're protecting a 1-0 lead againtst West Brom, or say even a 3-0 one against UTD.

Eliminate the defensive frailties with a very stable back 4, add a reliable goalscorer upfront, and we could see a drastic change in the team's play and of course, the results

Inclined to agree with the points there but if you noticed, the point I was making to TOPTB was not we couldn't create chances at all but rather that we struggled to create chances and do so consistently when opponents sat back and defended against us. Hence, why I pointed out periods in the matches in which the opposition have done so.

Mourinho "City are facing the worst Barcelona side for years"

:clap::delight::beer:

Yeah that's true, and even some Barcelona fans that I know are saying that as well.

That being said, if City can't beat this woeful Barcelona then they are not as good as we thought they where.