The Mourinho Thread

Ah yes. We are indeed fickle, prone to short term enjoyment. Its why we like smoking or drinking, but in the long run we die from it. The keyword remains: what is our vision?

I still believe - even with Mou - we are doing the fire fighting strategy. We have no strategy, no vision. We only have (or had) a strategy to win silverware in the short run.

You called it long before, and I do believe you are right, mate.

Ps: you are a great poster. Plz continue.

Which contradicts everything Jose has been saying about being here for the long haul. If this is what we have to look forward to in the longterm then I'm certainly not filled with excitement.

I can imagine fans using our relatively subpar transfer window to exonerate Mourinho but the truth is, we are not a bum thing we still have a quality side that's capable of far better football than we have been showing. There's no reason why teams like Swansea and leicester with far inferior squad/team are producing better football/performances than us. yes our squad could be better but mourinho is not doing enough to get the best out of the current crop. Like you said, there's no sense of direction, strategy, philosophy with this team.

We had been getting away with it that our luck was always bound to run out. We are so bad right now that the team demonstrating the ability to defend and attack as a team will be a great start.

We only have (or had) a strategy to win silverware in the short run.

I dont think its true that the club strategy is to only win in the short run. I think its completely the opposite.

Off the field, our primary targets this season were very young - Baba, Pogba and Stones. And we looked like not wanting stopgap signings. The club is looking for the future, the question is if Mourinho can do the same and if he's the rigt man. He need to show it this season.

Being in a difficult situation, such as where we are now, I think the smartest way that Jose could take is to go for young players.

If Jose plays with Iva - Cahill - JT - Azpi with Zouma in midfield it would be a terrible mistake. Especially when people start saying that Jose could be sacked as happened in 2007. (Incidentally, I am totally against a hypothetical change of manager, Jose is perfect for us, but he has to change his mind).

If Jose repeats an approach of the "bus" against Everton and we lose, the situation could become hysterically dramatic (metaphorically).

But if Jose bet on a new team, with players like Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Zouma, Baba, Oscar or Kenedy (in addition to Pedro), even losing the feelings would be very different.

It would not be a situation of paranoid drama because, at least, we would be betting on young players and trying to change our negative trend.

I'm not saying that a defeat could be good. In fact, if we do not fall into a situation of an anxiety attack, we can beat Everton clearly. In addition humiliate Martinez would be perfect.

But a team with Zouma - Baba - Ruben Loftus-Cheek - Oscar - Kenedy, with that team, Jose would be launching a strong message to some of our players to get their reactions and they stop being in a comfortable situation / with no competition / unmotivated.

Sometimes Jose says it is very difficult to bet on young players because of the difficulty / anxiety of being on a team that has to win every game. But now in a difficult situation where we are in - 8 points in the table, bet on young player is the best option because if we lose, at least we will be building a good future for the team.
Betting on young people is easier now than ever.

I can agree with this description of a "perfect Mourinho side", but you could see a change in his views since he joined Real Madrid. He spent 3 seasons in Real and i dont think your description fits to the side he had there.

And im talking about the midfield. In Porto, Chelsea 04-07 and Inter he played 4-3-3, in Real Madrid and now in Chelsea he plays 4-2-3-1. And its not just the formation, its the actual midfield players, he went from having Lampard/Sneijder - central midfilders, to Ozil - actual #10 who cant tackle. Also Khedira is not a quality box to box, i always saw him as a german Ramires. In current Chelsea his midfield is a mess - Fabregas is obviously not the DLP he wished to have, he had to settle for it becasue we couldnt get anyone else. Because of that he uses Ramires in the big games. Oscar is the odd man, is he a #10? a "Lampard/Sneijder"? We cant really tell because Cesc-Matic pivot doesnt fit Oscar.

I think by changing from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 with 3 AMs, Jose tried to match his sides to the more attacking minded football we see today in Europe. He had to do it in Madrid to win the La Liga but also to please the fans.

In the last few years i heard him a few times saying "The formation i like in my teams is 4-2-3-1", something has changed. But him going after Pogba this summer might means he wanted to go back to 4-3-3.

Tbh, Jose's targets for the summer - Pogba, Pedro, Baba, Stones - would've made us a "perfect Mourinho side" for years if we got all of them. Maybe thats what the club wants, a side that would go for a decade with little changes.

And thats why they hesitate so much about getting stopgaps.

Inter was 4-3-1-2 and 4-2-3-1. Sneijder is very much a #10, and he can't tackle/defend either. He so often played with a midfield three consisting of Cambiasso/Motta/Stankovic/Muntari behind Sneijder, which helped mask Sneijder's deficiences off the ball and gave him a lot of freedom.

I don't think Mourinho's change from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 has any deep meaning. Football keeps evolving so managers have to make changes. And you adapt to your material, not the other way around.

Besides, it's not like every match is played in a single shape. The shape of a team can change even up to three times in a match.

Mourinho loves this club, I trust him to knuckle down and get through it. If he does not then he is a weaker character than I thought.

Also, smh, so many players here now have said having Mourinho here swayed their decision in our favour (most recent example is Pedro) over a rival, say, MU or Arsenal. The board will know this. He himself will know this. We gave him a 4 year contract, he is going nowhere.

Which contradicts everything Jose has been saying about being here for the long haul. If this is what we have to look forward to in the longterm then I'm certainly not filled with excitement.

I can imagine fans using our relatively subpar transfer window to exonerate Mourinho but the truth is, we are not a bum thing we still have a quality side that's capable of far better football than we have been showing. There's no reason why teams like Swansea and leicester with far inferior squad/team are producing better football/performances than us. yes our squad could be better but mourinho is not doing enough to get the best out of the current crop. Like you said, there's no sense of direction, strategy, philosophy with this team.

We had been getting away with it that our luck was always bound to run out. We are so bad right now that the team demonstrating the ability to defend and attack as a team will be a great start.

Do i like the style of play from the team so far?

No, but what should we do?!

Mourinho has already shown his grumpiness, he is clearly unhappy with the performances of some players.

In the last game Mourinho brought Loftus-Cheek and Kenedy into the game, they performed well.

Instead of Loftus-Cheek or Kenedy there could have been Mikel...

A fellow fan thinks that the departure of Moses makes room for Kenedy or Traore, only the future will tell...

Have you seen the Champions-League Squad from Chelsea?

There are some good prospects in it, for example Loftus-Cheek, Kenedy, Traore, Baba, Zouma and so on...

Jose rewards good performances in training and limited time in matches.

The new guy Papy isn't in the squad, Mourinho prefers giving some young players a proper chance.

Why did it not work out for Kevin de Bruyne?

The player has to respect the manager, Zouma doesn't whine or moan in public, he accepts every decision.

That's how it should be...

Big managers have big egos, it takes time to cut some Champions out of the squad!

It has already started with the substitution of John Terry, they aren't untouchables anymore.

Yes, some of the players have thrown away too many chances to redeem themselves, but as Jose said: enough is enough!

He is going to change something....

The balance has gone down the drain, but why did it happen? No clue, maybe some of the players are satisfied with their medals, i don't know.

Yes, Mourinho is responsible for the approach, line-up and so on...

But i think he can fix it, for example the counter-attack which led to the goal against West Brom was top-class and without luck;

interception, switch of play and exact coordination between Pedro and Costa for the final pass!

You want to know about direction, strategy, philosophy of Mourinho? In my point of view that's a good start.

With all due respect, Rodgers, Van Gaal and Mr. Wenger haven't shown such a lovely piece of play this season, at least that's my opinion.

Where is Oscar, when we need him the most? His absence is a loss, no doubt about that. Willian's decision making is currently shocking!

Sooner than later he has to come back! The health problems of Oscar are not Mourinhos fault...

Ivanovic shouldn't be the only scapegoat, but he is nervous nowadays, he can't give Bolasie so much space!

In the future there has to be a change. Some of you call me naive, but i think Jose will do it, but first things first, Baba has to get in shape!

At the moment Swansea plays terrific football, i think some the guys could play for a top club.

The quality in the league is high, everyone can beat anybody.

Maybe you have still memories about Jack Cork, nowadays he dominates a lot of midfields; Congrats!

I like their possession football. I am not so sure, they can play like that throughout the season, we'll see....

I think some of the impressions are way too dark and onedimensional;

yes, they have to improve their style of play, 4/12 points are bad, little reinforcements,

but after 4 games, some improvements (counter vs. West Brom, Pedro and his crossing for Falcao and so on)

and seeing the likes of Loftus-Cheek and Kenedy actually play brings hope for the future.

You can't take away the medals and Mourinho has already shown that he is capable of playing spectacular football.

It will come good just needs little time...

In the end, if you could choose, which personality would excel and lead to club to glory in your point of view?

Maybe i am a fanboy, but i don't know any coach who has the skillset and the experience of Mourinho,

maybe Ancelotti, but that didn't work out. He rotates less than Jose, do you want that?

Do i like the style of play from the team so far?

No, but what should we do?!

Mourinho has already shown his grumpiness, he is clearly unhappy with the performances of some players.

In the last game Mourinho brought Loftus-Cheek and Kenedy into the game, they performed well.

A fellow fan thinks that the departure of Moses makes room for Kenedy or Traore, only the future will tell...

Are you seriously asking this question? Isn't that what we are paying the manager millions for, to get the best out of his squad and limit bad performances to a bare minimum while the team shows clear signs of improvement that we haven't seen since january.

For starters he could drop under-performing players like Ivanovic, fabregas, Costa, Matic et al and give chances to players like Baba (move azpi to right back), Remy, Kenedy, RLC and co. Also the way we have been relying on hazard and to a lesser extent fabregas for creativity and our horrendously poor defensive displays, the way we are constantly dominated and overrun in midfield against every decent opposition and so on reeks of tactical deficiency and flaws. we do not attack and defend well as a team and that's up to the manager to sort out.

Have you seen the Champions-League Squad from Chelsea?

There are some good prospects in it, for example Loftus-Cheek, Kenedy, Traore, Baba, Zouma and so on...

The new guy Papy isn't in the squad, Mourinho prefers giving some young players a proper chance.

Why did it not work out for Kevin de Bruyne?

The player has to respect the manager, Zouma doesn't whine or moan in public, he accepts every decision.

That's how it should be...

I have and it means absolutely nothing. The likes of Ake, RLC, Christensen,Bog also made last season UCL squad and we know what happened.

Since when? is that why Remy, one of our most productive players last season has been completely abandaoned and our best player in pre season, Moses has been shipped out on loan again without playing a single minute for us. What about Ake and Kalas what reward did they get for their good performances?

On the other hand it could be said that he definitely doesn't punish awful/bad performances from players he considers his favourite/untouchables like Ivanovic, fabregas,Costa just to name a few.

The fact that most people are now only criticising mourinho when in reality the only difference between the second half of last season and now is the result, shows how result oriented some fans really are. My prediction is, once we get a couple of wins under our belt, the teams garbage performances and issue with the team will be overlooked and swept under the carpet as usual. As fans, We have the lowest expectation and standard of the "top teams" on Europe.

There is actually a big difference in performances for me, right now we look as open as a defensive unit as we have ever been, the stats are damming.

Second half of last season wasn't pretty but there was nothing to suggest was what was coming in August, our players were tired/lost form so we strangled the life out of games to get us over the line. We never really looked open or exposed at the back, whereas now.....

Are you seriously asking this question? Isn't that what we are paying the manager millions for, to get the best out of his squad and limit bad performances to a bare minimum while the team shows clear signs of improvement that we haven't seen since january.

For starters he could drop under-performing players like Ivanovic, fabregas, Costa, Matic et al and give chances to players like Baba (move azpi to right back), Remy, Kenedy, RLC and co. Also the way we have been relying on hazard and to a lesser extent fabregas for creativity and our horrendously poor defensive displays, the way we are constantly dominated and overrun in midfield against every decent opposition and so on reeks of tactical deficiency and flaws. we do not attack and defend well as a team and that's up to the manager to sort out.

The manager has to make the decisions, but it seems that everything is up for discussion, so i have asked you.

Ivanovic is playing his worst football for Chelsea, but he is the vice captain, a valuable member of the league winning squad last season.

Yes, his performances has dropped significantly this season, but who should have replaced him?

The board decided to sell Filipe Luis; Zouma as a left back and Azpilicueta on the other side, or Ramires as right back?

I am not sure about that. Futhermore Baba isn't in shape, maybe after the international matches he is ready...

Oscar is injured, so we should play without Fabregas? Who brings the element of surprise to the table?

I only can pass 5 meters Loftus-Cheek, or one of the high-valued members Ramires or Mikel?

I prefer Loftus-Cheek next to Matic, not without him.

Kenedy? I think he is way too inexperienced to start week in and week out...

Instead of Matic we should play Mikel?

We should cut Jose some slack, he didn't get his wished players despite talking to the board in may about his goals.

He said that a player like Costa isn't available every summer, next summer we go again, maybe Pogba and Stones?

Would you prefer buying a player like Witsel with a 4 year contract and then unable to secure a worldclass talent like Pogba next season?

I prefer the long-term act, but each person is entitled to have his/her own opinion!

We don't live in a perfect world where everything is perfect, every team has problems and bad spells.

I think an academic recognizes the problems, but it isn't so easy to solve it immediately.

Now, consequences has been announced, we'll see. I think Jose will be ruthless!

Since when? is that why Remy, one of our most productive players last season has been completely abandaoned and our best player in pre season, Moses has been shipped out on loan again without playing a single minute for us. What about Ake and Kalas what reward did they get for their good performances? On the other hand it could be said that he definitely doesn't punish awful/bad performances from players he considers his favourite/untouchables like Ivanovic, fabregas,Costa just to name a few.

Remy should have played more, i agree with you on that one.

But Falcao came on and scored against Crystal Palace, Jose made the right call.

I don't like the loan of Victor Moses, i think he was one of the best players in preseason.

What was the reason to play him when you don't fully trust him?

Maybe Mourinho was surprised by the performance of Traore and especially Kenedy in training?

I don't know..

Kalas couldn't impress the coach from Köln, maybe he isn't that good, who knows.

But Ake is a good player, at least that's my opinion, very sad that Jose still doesn't trust him, i would love to see him in the squad.

We already have Loftus-Cheek, maybe Jose thinks one inexperienced prospect in central midfield has to be enough.

I don't like that but Jose knows best, as you said, he is paid millions by the club to make the judgement call.

I have and it means absolutely nothing. The likes of Ake, RLC, Christensen,Bog also made last season UCL squad and we know what happened.

Touché!

Last season Mourinho spoke highly about Loftus-Cheek, i believe there is a chance.

Loftus-Cheek and Kenedy played some minutes against Crystal Palace, a game Chelsea needed to win, so the case isn't hopeless, i think.

Honestly, the more I think about it the more I think that the board have actually tied Jose's hands here. With the rumours of him giving the board exactly what we needed as a team way back in April, and then us trying to buy players at a last ditch attempt because results weren't going our way... It's quite disturbing. The quite random signing of Michael Hector done it for me.

Would we have signed Pedro if we had a good start to the season? I actually don't think so, which is very worrying. Time will tell.

If that's really the case, then the board have made the same classic mistake they made back in 2010 after we won the title....

Basically assume that if players A,B,C were instrumental in winning the title then, A, B and C can win it for you again with no worries....forgetting that A, B and C are not machines or series of stats...and that at least 2 out of the 3 are guaranteed to lose form or at least not match the same performance level they showed last season...

Being in a difficult situation, such as where we are now, I think the smartest way that Jose could take is to go for young players.

If Jose plays with Iva - Cahill - JT - Azpi with Zouma in midfield it would be a terrible mistake. Especially when people start saying that Jose could be sacked as happened in 2007. (Incidentally, I am totally against a hypothetical change of manager, Jose is perfect for us, but he has to change his mind).

If Jose repeats an approach of the "bus" against Everton and we lose, the situation could become hysterically dramatic (metaphorically).

But if Jose bet on a new team, with players like Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Zouma, Baba, Oscar or Kenedy (in addition to Pedro), even losing the feelings would be very different.

It would not be a situation of paranoid drama because, at least, we would be betting on young players and trying to change our negative trend.

I'm not saying that a defeat could be good. In fact, if we do not fall into a situation of an anxiety attack, we can beat Everton clearly. In addition humiliate Martinez would be perfect.

But a team with Zouma - Baba - Ruben Loftus-Cheek - Oscar - Kenedy, with that team, Jose would be launching a strong message to some of our players to get their reactions and they stop being in a comfortable situation / with no competition / unmotivated.

Sometimes Jose says it is very difficult to bet on young players because of the difficulty / anxiety of being on a team that has to win every game. But now in a difficult situation where we are in - 8 points in the table, bet on young player is the best option because if we lose, at least we will be building a good future for the team. Betting on young people is easier now than ever.

Amen my friend.

Said it before, I would not be mad if we finish 2 or 3rd while having a go with some younger players.

Is not like we asking to have a full team of the younger players but use at least 2.

And protect them, not throw them under the bus for crying out loud.

I just hope we wont do a Dortmund, because it can happen to everyone, Klopp is a top quality manager but still in the league he failed to motivate his squad, José is human too, he can simply lose it and needs a break, ( summer do fine in these case, not talking about sacking or mutual consent ). I see no drama in our start of season, its is Mourinho's fault, because he started our downfall since Tottenham away, you know what I mean.

There is actually a big difference in performances for me, right now we look as open as a defensive unit as we have ever been, the stats are damming.

Second half of last season wasn't pretty but there was nothing to suggest was what was coming in August, our players were tired/lost form so we strangled the life out of games to get us over the line.

And whose fault was that? If the manager trusted and rotated his squad better and more efficiently not only would it have prevented the burn out you are referring to but it might have helped us keep some of the squad players that left, due to lack of playing time.

We never really looked open or exposed at the back, whereas now.....

games like Hull city (away), man city away, PSG Home and away, Liverpool COC, Bradford FA cup, we looked just as open defensively. if you didn't limit it to just defensive performance and included all the games where we looked poor and completely devoided of ideas there would be even more examples of those from last season.

And whose fault was that? If the manager trusted and rotated his squad better and more efficiently not only would it have prevented the burn out you are referring to but it might have helped us keep some of the squad players that left, due to lack of playing time.

games like Hull city (away), man city away, PSG Home and away, Liverpool COC, Bradford FA cup, we looked just as open defensively. if you didn't limit it to just defensive performance and included all the games where we looked poor and completely devoided of ideas there would be even more examples of those from last season.

Not saying it wasn't on the manager for not rotatingitsmore down to the displays then vs now, I wasn't too worried about them because like I said it was obvious we only had one agenda in mind and that was just getting over the line, yeah we looked lethargic at times offensively but I always felt we would get the points, a big difference compared to now, honestly we could have Watford at home next and I'll fear defeat.

Also those games you've mentioned were the only ones where the defense was a real problem last term, this time round they have all fallen off a cliff, even Cesar is losing a few 1 on 1s and that's unheard off. Against City Aguero had 5 clear chances before he actually scored, that's unheard off for a Chelsea team let alone one managed by Mourinho,before these four games the only times I have seen us cut open so much was Barca and Bayern on the CL run in 2012, but for obvious reasons no one was that bothered in any of the post match threads.

Point is tho for me there is no comparison between the displays second half of last season and this, the former we were proffesional answer focused on getting that title come hell or high water, this season so far we have been playing like a bunch of ametuers not even that from a defensive POV.