The Mourinho Thread

Dude, him not being a starter at bayern doesn't change the fact that he was one of the absolute stars at Dortmund... Please.

Key word "Was" just like Mata" was" a starter on every team sheet before Jose. He went to Man U. Struggled in the first season and now he's back to being a starter again. Falcao was a starter at PSG until injury. Each team to his own needs. Higuian was at Madrid, but he was sold too. E'too was at Barca, but was sold too at one point to Inter. The list goes no and on. Players come and go. The season is too early to be dumping players left and right. The team is not in shape. They are one to two weeks behind. We are still good to go. But if there was a choice of managers between Klopp and Jose, its a no contest.

Possibly but it was the same in 13/14, we were chasing and whenever there was a serious chance to close in on top position we pissed it up the wall, like against Sunderland especially.

Just like Jason alluded to earlier in your dialog, United under Sir Alex, United were always slow starters, but they won the league so many times in a not so fancy position on the table. Aside from Chelsea who led for some 274-5 days last year, most teams in the prem., do not maintain the lead from day one till the end. Its a marathon not a sprint. I'm pretty confident of our team. No worries here.

Watching us against mancity got me thinking, why don't we use wings when we attack??

For some reason we always want to go through the middle, making our gameplay so slow and easy to defend against. If we play with more wingplay, we would create more chances easily by stretching the play and we would play at a faster tempo.

Because we have no one that can cross effectively from the left side into the box. Ivannovic used to be our go to guy, on the right side. On the left we often used dribble penetration with Hazard, or combination plays with Oscar, Cesc, Willian and/or Oscar. David (Aspi) can play with he left, but he quite often switches foot to the right to cross the ball.

This deficiency makes it an easy pick up for the opposing GK, (in-swingers as opposed to out-swingers) and a quick restart for counter attacks against us. But lately, since Ivan's crosses are being blocked from the outsides, the services are piss poor into our attackers from the right side. Baba Rahman solves that issue. His biggest strength are his crosses into the box. Its a thing of beauty to watch. Falcao will thrive more from those crosses than Costa, as he is awesome in attacking flighted balls.

I think Jose had all these in mind in assembling the team. If people are patient enough to wait for his final product, this is going to be a very new Chelsea tactical side. Cesc will be the new talisman, with the diagonal penetrating passes through to Baba and one touch flighted crosses from Baba into opposition boxes. Baba is a younger version of Ashley Cole.

Because we have no one that can cross effectively from the left side into the box. Ivannovic used to be our go to guy, on the right side. On the left we often used dribble penetration with Hazard, or combination plays with Oscar, Cesc, Willian and/or Oscar. David (Aspi) can play with he left, but he quite often switches foot to the right to cross the ball.

This deficiency makes it an easy pick up for the opposing GK, (in-swingers as opposed to out-swingers) and a quick restart for counter attacks against us. But lately, since Ivan's crosses are being blocked from the outsides, the services are piss poor into our attackers from the right side. Baba Rahman solves that issue. His biggest strength are his crosses into the box. Its a thing of beauty to watch. Falcao will thrive more from those crosses than Costa, as he is awesome in attacking flighted balls.

I think Jose had all these in mind in assembling the team. If people are patient enough to wait for his final product, this is going to be a very new Chelsea tactical side. Cesc will be the new talisman, with the diagonal penetrating passes through to Baba and one touch flighted crosses from Baba into opposition boxes. Baba is a younger version of Ashley Cole.

I actually didn't see anything complicated in how mancity attack. They used wingplay like manutd during Ferguson time wherever evra and Nani on the left, while Rafael and valencia on the right combine... And everyone praised them as a very attractive attacking team.

If Mourinho drops his son ivanovic, we can play baba on the left for crosses like kolarov showed us how to do. While Azpilicueta and Willian combine on the right.

The way we played against City reminded me of what we did against PSG, trying to force our way through the middle which is obviously congested and making us play so slow instead of combining on the wings where there is space and crossing to costa.

Hopefully we stop suffering ourselves in terms of creating chances through the congested middle and play through the wings, that's what fullbacks are there for.

Key word "Was" just like Mata" was" a starter on every team sheet before Jose. He went to Man U. Struggled in the first season and now he's back to being a starter again. Falcao was a starter at PSG until injury. Each team to his own needs. Higuian was at Madrid, but he was sold too. E'too was at Barca, but was sold too at one point to Inter. The list goes no and on. Players come and go. The season is too early to be dumping players left and right. The team is not in shape. They are one to two weeks behind. We are still good to go. But if there was a choice of managers between Klopp and Jose, its a no contest.

This reply makes no sense whatsoever...Gotze WAS a defining player up until the moment he left, Mata was not being played at all and was losing his value...

It would be great if true, but I doubt it.

We're now in a position where Everton have us over a barrell with Stones because of the recent performance, while top-quality players like Schneiderlin and Pedro have been snapped up by United, leaving us looking for scraps. We'd rather spend time signing players like Kennedy who will probably never get in the first team under Mourinho. Dreadful window. The only positive can be that the board realise how naive they've been this summer and not to do it again.

Mou final product? Lol

People still thinking mou is a team builder, he is the ultimate short term manager. Look at his side at Madrid. Their fans had the same sinking feelings most are having here. Mou team progressively gets worse

Think about it what you are saying about baba, you do realize he had Luis last year. If mou had any long term vision he would have dropped Ivanovic long time ago and kept Luis. He doesn't if he did we wouldn't have any FB dilemma.

A few singings will help this team, like a band aid that usually does but there is a bigger problem.

I hate seeing this. Not because I disagree, because the truth hurts. We all received Jose back thinking he had changed and learned from his time at Inter and Real. Just like getting back together with and ex, you hope everything will be all good and the mistakes from the past will be reconciled. But the writing is on the wall. Jose is unhappy and it is affecting he team.

I'm hoping it's not that, as we don't know what really goes on behind the scenes. Hopefully it's just a rough start to the season and everyone comes together.

The champions are reeling after a dismal start to the season but José Mourinho did not get where he is by crumpling at the first hint of trouble

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/aug/17/chelsea-losses-stack-up-jose-mourinho

Pretty much what I believe.

We are still good, will recover and win it.

City don't scare me right now despite beating us. Getting KDB might level the playing field for them and give us a better challenge, but even then I still think we are good enough to win it again.

So not really worried.

Hi friend!

Yes, I think we should place Azpilicueta as right-back and Baba as left-back mainly because Ivanovic is completely overwhelmed as right-back since a long time ago. His best years as a right-back are gone and he should be refocused to play as centre-back to take the role of John Terry © as a veteran centre-back. Iva has been a great right-back, but he can no longer continue playing in our starting eleven as right-back.

And Azpilicueta is a multipurpose, he can play in left or right side with great performance. Azpilicueta is like Philipp Lahm: A versatile and perfect player.

Regarding Baba, Jose has trusted him and perhaps we can give him confidence from the beginning to play on our starting eleven. But, to be sure, I would sign another left-back of a low profile like Telles. So we could get him and Baba fighting for a place in our starting eleven, increasing competition and having Ivanovic (with Azpilicueta on the left side) as emergency solution.

About Isco I think we could sign him for about 50 or 60 million euros (35.50 / 42.60 million pounds). To me 35 million pounds (50 in euros) should be enough to sign him.

And Real Madrid is very close to signing Kovacic for around 35 million euros (24.86 million pounds).

Reports say that the price of Isco could be 33.7 million pounds. Maybe this could be a reasonable price considering that Real Madrid has just spent almost 25 million pounds to sign Kovacic. For me, 35 million pounds would be fine in terms of quality / price.

For example, two years ago Real Madrid sold Mesut Özil (when he was 24 years old) to Arsenal for 45 million euros (32 million pounds). I think that Ozil and Isco (23 years) could / should have a similar price. Another example is when Manchester City bought David Silva when he was 24 years for about 35 million euros (25 million pounds) in 2010, just after David Silva won the World Cup with Spain.

In the last days of the market, if Jose convinces Isco, and if Isco "requires" an exit I think that the final price could be more or less 35 million pounds. And,at most, Real Madrid could require 42/44 million pounds. But 35 million pounds could be enough.

Regards.

Thank you for your response!

Indeed. I personally was surprised (including a few British friends I have) about why Mourinho wasn't playing Filipe Luis at LB and Azpi at RB? Surely it would have been a far more sensible thing to do? Although I love Ivanovic!!

Yes Ivanovic does an excellent job at CB and a role as a veteran CB is one he'd flourish in.

What do you think about promoting our younger players who play in those positions you believe we need to strengthen? Many are calling for a robust CDM to partner Matic but we don't need to look further than Loftus Cheek tbh.

42 Million pounds does seem a lot for Isco but if we can get him for 35, then not too bad I guess as he has great positional versatility.

Yes some late transfer window pressure can often cause teams to panic and make rash decisions.

Do you think a guy like Moutinho might demand a move too soon? I know he's out for a month but once fit - how much do you value him at?

Thank you for your response!

Indeed. I personally was surprised (including a few British friends I have) about why Mourinho wasn't playing Filipe Luis at LB and Azpi at RB? Surely it would have been a far more sensible thing to do? Although I love Ivanovic!!

Yes Ivanovic does an excellent job at CB and a role as a veteran CB is one he'd flourish in.

What do you think about promoting our younger players who play in those positions you believe we need to strengthen? Many are calling for a robust CDM to partner Matic but we don't need to look further than Loftus Cheek tbh.

42 Million pounds does seem a lot for Isco but if we can get him for 35, then not too bad I guess as he has great positional versatility.

Yes some late transfer window pressure can often cause teams to panic and make rash decisions.

Do you think a guy like Moutinho might demand a move too soon? I know he's out for a month but once fit - how much do you value him at?

Hi friend!

Also for me it was a surprise that Jose did not bet stronger in Filipe as left-back and Azpi Right-back as. Maybe last season Ivanovic could have more options as right-back, but this season Filipe could have remained with us perfectly.

On our young players, I trust Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Nathan Aké as more credible to be in our starting eleven options. Aké can be important in Watford, but RLC is a big mystery now. He has unique qualities, one of those selected players, but he has to change certain aspects of their behavior, being more aggressive and fight every play like it's the last play of his life.

After them there are players like Kenedy, Nathan, Traore, Solanke .... which are very interesting, but in the short term (one year) they (IMO) will not have many opportunities with us.

I think we still have time to sign Isco. He has a salary of two million euros a year with Real Madrid. For example, Coentrao (a totally useless player) has a salary of four million per season. Isco has a very low wage. With a normal salary inside our squad he would improve his salary significantly. And we could offer him a fixed place in our starting eleven.

But I think that a signing as Willian Carvalho, despite his small injury, would be fantastic. A player to play close to Matic, and to be his backup. A player to win trophies.

There are few market days, but I think that Roman and Jose have reacted in time.

Regards.

The champions are reeling after a dismal start to the season but José Mourinho did not get where he is by crumpling at the first hint of trouble

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/aug/17/chelsea-losses-stack-up-jose-mourinho

City don't scare me right now despite beating us. Getting KDB might level the playing field for them and give us a better challenge, but even then I still think we are good enough to win it again.

So not really worried.

Totally agree with u mate. We just need to win 2-3 next games and we are all set. I hope we will see new arrivals.

So not really worried.

I like your optimism...

Hopefully if the speculation is true Roman has given is blessing for 3 signings.

We need a quality CM to play alongside Matic maybe Koke or Witsel. A left footed Winger/AM maybe Griezmann or Reus. Also Stones as mentioned as he will give us cover at both CB and RB.

I actually didn't see anything complicated in how mancity attack. They used wingplay like manutd during Ferguson time wherever evra and Nani on the left, while Rafael and valencia on the right combine... And everyone praised them as a very attractive attacking team.

If Mourinho drops his son ivanovic, we can play baba on the left for crosses like kolarov showed us how to do. While Azpilicueta and Willian combine on the right.

The way we played against City reminded me of what we did against PSG, trying to force our way through the middle which is obviously congested and making us play so slow instead of combining on the wings where there is space and crossing to costa.

Hopefully we stop suffering ourselves in terms of creating chances through the congested middle and play through the wings, that's what fullbacks are there for.

I totally agree with you on ManCity attack. They play very narrow, none of their short dudes in their attack, is above 5' 8". They (Sterling, Aguero, Silva and Navas) can sustain attacking from outsides, they will get muscled off the ball easily by good strong defenders, with the exception of big slower defenders. Their strengths will be to use good quick movements and agility to create spaces centrally and let the likes of Fernando and Yaya pick the opposing teams apart with neat penetrating passes without pressure. Jon Shelvy (sp) was used in the same mold against us. They stole the Barca playbook. Bilbao however exposed Barca this weekend by applying high pressure on the ball up-field, just like Athletico Madrid does against them.
What we missed were the pressures from Oscar on those key deep lying play-makers. (This tactic was effectively used in the first half of last season) If you recollect, one of the City goals was scored, when JT left his position to pick up the midfield player above the box. Hazard was the culprit. He was 4-5 yards from the guy, but was not pressuring, leaving JT to step 12-15 yards up. This created a hole for Aguero work in, thereby isolating him with Cahill one on one, the result being the first goal. Difference in last season, was Hazard stepping up to defend also. The pressures from Costa, Oscar, Hazard and Willian, distrupted most team attacks from the back (their defense)
Now none of our mid-fielders are up to tasks, because they are not in shape or fit. Mainly (Hazard, Willian, Fabregas,) leaving us with Matic to cover from one end of the field to the other. Teams know this and set traps for us all over the field. Overloading on the right flank or left flank, so Matic overcompensates by moving over, to the sides, leaving a big gaping hole in the middle, and no cover for the defensive four especially if Ivan is distracted by a flat out wide attacker, Aspi on the other end and one of the CDs slides over to help the outside backs on the flanks. What we have left is Cahill, one on one with central attackers. Bafe in the Swansea game and Aguero for City. We need our mid-fielders to be in better (Match- Fit) shapes, then we will start functioning again. We are playing short 3 or 4 players in defense. because Costa is isolated up front.
There's nothing complex about City's game. They are overrated. There were some pluses in the game, as people also failed to see the plus points for Chelsea though. Sterling was rendered ineffective throughout the game. Yaya was not as dominant as his usual self. The only pluses for them were Silva, who was on top of his game and Aguero. Fernandinho was used as a thug and got away with murder. Sagna was used in the same mold too. If any Chelsea player had done half of the stuff he pulled, we would have news in the papers for another whole week. Coequlin (sp) of Arsenal did exactly the same, rough up our main attackers during the Cup also.
First half of last season, we applied the Barca small group attacks and were very successful in getting balls back up-field in advantageous positions. This led to quick attacks and goals or near goals. However, the deeper we defend, the more difficult it is to get into those positions. Most teams are now willing to sacrifice a yellow to foul our key players at all cost in the mid-field or our own half of the field. We are not getting help from the refs either. Costa needs to go back to his playing style and stop worrying about getting ticky-tack fouls like in La Liga and his aggressive nature is often used in non calls for him.
The crosses have been coming in against us, since the second half of last season. It's not new. We've been reliant on JT and Cahill to clear these crosses and have been lucky till recent. The new season offers a slight difference, because teams are now packing in goal poachers, in addition to the crosses. Their forwards distract and disrupt our two Cds, so there are less clearances and more opportunities to score for the opposing teams. Many people also fail to see the significance of Petr going to Arsenal.
Most of our weaknesses have been given away to Arsenal. They in turn exploited them in the cup final. It's akin to your wife leaving you for your business rival and you expect your secrets not to be exposed. Now other teams are exploiting those weaknesses. Roman is going to have pay a steep price by investing heavily in the transfer window to compensate. So a change in tactic is warranted. But it's hard to implement is a such a short spell. So we are now adjusting and playing high blocks. However, high blocks comes with a price. JT is 34, soon to be 35 in December.
However, high blocks comes with a price. JT has lost his speed of recovery years ago and AVB's tactics exposed him. AVB played high blocks also and we ended up losing to likes of Arsenal 6-3. Van P. Took advantage. RDM knew and parked the bus. Benitez was not so generous and axed JT. So if we play high block, which we will, more we will need speed on defense, so expect Zouma to play more. The low blocks were also as a result of our older defensive personnel. Flighted balls were a problem too for Petr also. He has been exposed at Arsenal with distant goals to his right side of recent. Now people will really see his weaknesses.
Any coach worth his onions knows that your personnel determines your tactic, unless you chose your players from the get go. But you have to be tenured to do so; like Sir Alex and Wenger. They've been there for donkey years. JM is no dummy. He knows what he is doing. This team will turn around. I actually think its a blessing that our shortfalls have been exposed early enough before the window closes. The title is ours to lose. People forget that Head to head, Pellegrini has only won one game and tied one, maybe two against Jose. Wenger has only won one game. As we say in the USA, both coaches are still his bit$hes. :D