Oscar

themightyblue

Oscar hasn't played well under Benitez, however i do think that's just coincidence.

He's a young brazilian, by brazilian i mean they haven't seem to do well in this division. However despite that he still has very good work rate, i still think he will be world class. He just needs time, and judging him by his first season that would just be stupid.

He needs a couple of season's to adapt like @Kojo, said. Personally i think his ceiling is higher than both Mata and Hazard's, but he needs time and patience to get anywhere near there.

When i watched him in the Olympics (because i didn't know what type of player he was) I thought, Oh so he's like a playmaker then?

Because his vision and passing was fantastic, and he was playing so deep also. Even on his left foot he was picking out great passes, definitely one of the best in the tournament if not the best.

Then he came to Chelsea and then i found out he is also a hazard taking on players, like when he almost went past the Stoke defence twice, i couldn't believe how tricky he was and full of such flair and creativity. I've always thought out of the three he will be the best, and at such a young age he was done very well, Oscar has just about everything in his locker, if he developes in the best possible way, we have some player on our hands I'll tell you that.

Frankly, Oscar has faded as the season has gone by.

He's had his moments every now and then, but i think his problem in this moment is that he cant command the midfield yet.

He needs the best players around him in order to perform and be effective in the game.

In contrast to that, If Hazard or Mata are on the pitch without the other two, they are still able to affect the game and impose themselves.

He needs to be able to orchestrate much more, even when the 1-2's arent happening(which is his forte)

Obviously this is his first season and he has done decently, shown potential and ability. Now he needs to become consistent and expand his playing style, which is a little narrow ATM.

He is a master of small spaces, but in order to take the next step he has to conquer the length of the pitch in terms of being destructive in ways other than 1-2's.

Next season lets hope he does well and is more expansive.

He is a good player, and can be great. Only time will tell.

He needs to improve physically. He can and does try to avoid contact, with quick 1-2s as stated above, but that's not always possible. Players can get away with that in brazil because the refs will stop the game on every bump, but not in the PL. He needs to bulk up a bit and is young enough to work on that.

There's a lot more to come from him. He's not shown even close to the form he's showed for Brazil. He's dominating and running the show often times for Brazil yet for Chelsea he's always been the 2nd or 3rd guy, hasn't shown that MOM performance like he does for Brazil on a regular basis.

For me oscar has a tremendous potential.If he is developed correctly he can be in the same class as ronaldo and messi.I am not overrating or exaggerating it is my honest opinion.He takes defensive duties responsibly and his workrate is awesome.He can be world class player.

a good player can play in any position

a bad player will make excuses wherever he's played

Thats one of the most stuipid things Ive read here.

CAN play, yes maybe. I bet Torres CAN play as CB or even as goalkeeper. The question isnt if a player can play there, by definition, but how well.

He looks so bad under benitez, he can't pass well anymore or dribble. He doesn't even swap with mata to be in the centre again, FSW is a c*nt for this.

Lets not go blame everything on Benitez here even though we all hate him. Yes, it's Benitez's fault that Oscar mainly plays out wide rather through the middle but not sure how you can blame him for Oscar's performance. Throughout the season, his performances have been mostly up and down, even under RDM. Oscar has had a couple of good games and then average ones. This has happened as a result of the number of games he has played since last year and IIRC, Oscar has played over 60/70 games this past year including the Olympics. It's tough for any player to play well consistently going through that amount of games, let alone a 21 year old.

Lets not go blame everything on Benitez here even though we all hate him. Yes, it's Benitez's fault that Oscar mainly plays out wide rather through the middle but not sure how you can blame him for Oscar's performance. Throughout the season, his performances have been mostly up and down, even under RDM. Oscar has had a couple of good games and then average ones. This has happened as a result of the number of games he has played since last year and IIRC, Oscar has played over 60/70 games this past year including the Olympics. It's tough for any player to play well consistently going through that amount of games, let alone a 21 year old.

Oscar is a player that thrived with more freedom to roam under RDM. But he is now more rigid with FSW and forced to stay only at the wings where he is clearly average at.

I can imagine barcelona making fabregas play in the wings ONLY, that's what they are doing to oscar.

I know oscar too has also had a lot of misplaced passes of late himself, but the constant average peformance is clearly down to being constantly played out of position.

I deeply believe that people should temper their expectations regarding our new players, especially regarding Oscar. I am convinced that we're kinda spoilt by the quick adaptation that Mata has shown last year, especially stats-wise (and to a lesser extent, by the form that Hazard has shown since the new year). Indeed, sometimes I get the feeling that anything sub-par Mata's first season is deemed as average.

That's true, if you compare Mata and Oscar's first season here, stats-wise, the spaniard's is better : 12 goals and 28 assists Vs. 9 goals and 8 assists. But, we should not forget that Mata was older and had plenty experience in European football (many games in La Liga and in European competitions). Furthermore, their roles are pretty different. Mata came into a team which was desperatly in need of creativity and technic. To put it this way, he was the light into the darkness. This situation got the best out of him ; and it made him look better than he was. At the contrary, Oscar is not the cherry upon the cake, as Mata was. He is just the third choice, behind Juan and Hazard. As a matter of fact, his role is lessened — considering those facts, especially the latter one, his stats are rather good for a first season. And, moreover, he spend more time and energy on defensive duties than Mata and Hazard — which partly explain the difference in stats. I'm pretty sure that if we were to invert these three players' role, then Oscar's stats would be more flattering. Finally, before his season has exceeded 10 months (the length of a normal season), i.e. during the first part of our season, he was pretty good (and significantly better than Hazard, for instance).

The bottom line is that he has a good first season here, maybe not excellent, but by no means average. Especially considering the facts I've aforementioned, plus the fact that he has played way more games than others players. He has been good, and been a valuable asset for the team and for our achievement thus far.

He hasn't had a good season. He has basically been useless in the league and a few great games in Europe doesn't make up for that. Expectations are directly related to cost. Oscar cost 25M pounds which is what elite midfielders cost. When you buy someone for 5M pounds or whatever, you expect growing pains and struggles, for 25M, you expect immediate excellence or you really shouldn't be paying that much.