Roman Abramovich Thread

I don’t think it’s a coincidence at all by the way that many of the cunts in the government desperately begging for Abramovich to be sanctioned and his assets frozen are Arsenal supporters. Sure, he may have been sanctioned eventually, but I’ll bet anything that these bastards have been lobbying Boris to expedite the process for maximum damage on Chelsea.

I mean seriously, why do this now instead of AFTER the sale of the club if their intent wasn’t to destroy the team on the pitch?

This is absolutely disgusting and would never in a million years happen to a club here in the States. These journalists, pundits, and even government officials went ballistic about the Super League because it fucked over the fans. Now they delightfully cheer as Chelsea fans are harshly punished for something they had nothing to do with.

3 minutes ago, Weckerz said:

What's striking to me is the amount of   opposition fans and neutrals who would  gladly see Chelsea  go  down; as in literally cease to exist

Never realized how hated this club is, not to this extent

we are hated more (as in 'destroy the club' hate) than any other major club in Europe

Manure, Liverpool (2 of the big 6 euro giants who rammed through FFP), plus Arsenal, and Spuds would LOVE to see us liquidated

they never accepted us ever as a legit club post Bates sale

outside of the UK the main ones who would love to see us liquidated are the same 4 old giants ones who slammed through FFP (along with Manure and Pool) to block (in order of launch to WC  via billionaire dosh: AC Milan (revival via Berlusconi, Juve have wanted to destroy them since he bought them, the Agnelli mafia and then Real are the first two originators of the FFP wish, with the other 4 coming on board quickly thereafter) , Chels, Citeh, PSG)

Barca

Real

Juve

Bayern

15 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

It feels like we are nothing but a pawn in a PR exercise by the UK Government because let's face it for all the talk and bravado, we've offered literally nothing to Ukraine at present in terms of military support, implementing no flight zones, taking in Ukraine refugees, etc.

no one will do that, that will kick off WWIII

Deutsche Welle 7814cc556d171188439a990895e74ac4.png

Roman Abramovich sanctions put Chelsea in jeopardy

The British government has frozen the assets of Chelsea's Russian owner Roman Abramovich. The sanctions mean Abramovich will not be able to proceed with his planned sale of the club and puts its future in doubt.

https://www.dw.com/en/roman-abramovich-sanctions-put-Chelsea-in-jeopardy/a-61080001

Premier League club Chelsea are now effectively under the control of the British government after Russian owner Roman Abramovich was placed under sanctions on Thursday.

Abramovich, who had been under scrutiny following Russia's invasion of Ukraine, had announced he was selling the Premier League club last week. But that is no longer possible, leaving the European champions in a state of limbo.

German head coach Thomas Tuchel will not be able to trade players or offer new contracts, while new tickets will not be for sale for matches. Season tickets and tickets purchased before Thursday will be honored.

The Russian bought the West London team in 2003 for a reported £140 million pounds (€167 million, $184 million) and his investment contributed hugely to the most successful era in the team's history as they won five Premier League titles, five FA Cups and the Champions League twice.

"There can be no safe havens for those who have supported Putin’s vicious assault on Ukraine," Prime Minister Boris Johnson said, announcing sanctions of wealthy Russians with links to the Kremlin.

"Today’s sanctions are the latest step in the UK’s unwavering support for the Ukrainian people. We will be ruthless in pursuing those who enable the killing of civilians, destruction of hospitals and illegal occupation of sovereign allies."

Abramovich has recently sought to paint himself as an apolitical figure and said earlier this month that the sale was not a direct result of the political climate.

"The sale of the Club will not be fast-tracked but will follow due process," his March 2 statement read. "I will not be asking for any loans to be repaid. This has never been about business nor money for me, but about pure passion for the game and Club.

"Moreover, I have instructed my team to set up a charitable foundation where all net proceeds from the sale will be donated. The foundation will be for the benefit of all victims of the war in Ukraine. This includes providing critical funds towards the urgent and immediate needs of victims, as well as supporting the long-term work of recovery."

The loans referred to by the oligarch totalled £1.5 billion lent through Fordstam Limited, the entity through which he owns the club.

In their most recent accounts in December, Chelsea who reported losses of £145.6 million, said they were "reliant on Fordstam Limited for the club's continued financial support."

As such, the future of the west London club remains in doubt. For now they will be operating under a special government licence, which allows some exemptions to the asset freeze restrictions, in order to allow Chelsea to fulfil their fixtures. Players can still be paid but the club cannot sell merchandise and is effectively under a transfer ban.

4 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

“Mitigate the impact on fans”….they say as no tickets can be sold, the club shop and hotel cannot operate, contract situations are in limbo, and the very existence of the club is in jeopardy.

The UK government is fucking incompetent.

9 minutes ago, Vesper said:

no one will do that, that will kick off WWIII

I understand that completely. 

But in all honesty what are these sanctions expected to do except gain some publicity? Is Putin going to suddenly pull out because Chelsea are being affected?

The only people this is truly going to harm are people within our own country employed by Chelsea or fans across the world. This isn't even going to affect Roman if he is true to his word that the club would be sold and proceeds to charity.

As per usual with this country and particularly this Government, it's a clusterfuck.

2 minutes ago, milka said:

Chelsea now effectively have ‘no new source of income’. If the club were to end up in administration they could face a 9-point penalty deduction. #CFC

yikes

What about the possibility of some or all player contracts being voided (in terms of being tied to the club, with full pay until they sign elsewhere) after the season (some or all may have void clauses IF certain types of events occur)?

1 minute ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I understand that completely. 

But in all honesty what are these sanctions expected to do except gain some publicity? Is Putin going to suddenly pull out because Chelsea are being affected?

The only people this is truly going to harm are people within our own country employed by Chelsea or fans across the world. This isn't even going to affect Roman if he is true to his word that the club would be sold and proceeds to charity.

As per usual with this country and particularly this Government, it's a clusterfuck.

the thinking is (not saying it will work at all) that you put the hammer down on both the oligarchs (not just Roman) who help finance and fund Putin, make them scream in pain and maybe they turn on him, PLUS also (and this is brutal) put the hammer down on 99% Russian citizens overall, make their lives living hell financially, so they eventually revolt

6 minutes ago, milka said:

Chelsea now effectively have ‘no new source of income’. If the club were to end up in administration they could face a 9-point penalty deduction. #CFC

The most ridiculous part of this and completely unthought by these sanctions.

As mentioned earlier, set up a vehicle independently regulated to collect income from the club for merchandise, tickets, sponsorship, etc and release these funds to the club in a regulated manner to pay for operational costs including wages. 

A transfer ban, wage renewals, etc - fine, I understand decisions like this can't take place at present but some common sense on the club being able to continue to operate as it is presently. 

What if Roman was able to go through courts and get these sanctions lifted? Could he then sue the UK government for an absolute fortune for the sanctions damaging the club? 

As I've said, sanctions fine. But the way they've been implemented is nothing more than a joke and the biggest impact felt will be fans and employees of the club, not Roman or Russia.

4 minutes ago, Vesper said:

the thinking is (not saying it will work at all) that you put the hammer down on both the oligarchs (not just Roman) who help finance and fund Putin, make them scream in pain and maybe they turn on him, PLUS also (and this is brutal) put the hammer down on 99% Russian citizens overall, make their lives living hell financially, so they eventually revolt

I can understand the reasoning behind it all, but I cannot understand how they've gone about this with Chelsea. They have practically crippled the club.

Roman is selling anyway, if he's really as close to Putin as they think he may well be under order to just leave it. 

We could genuinely be out of business in a couple of months.

The sales process was already underway but now the government in charge of the sale?  No due process of any kind?  This is so bizarre to me.  Sounds like someone is gonna get a nice discount on their purchase. 

And what did Roman do exactly that hadn't already been done three weeks or 20 years ago?  Until I hear otherwise I fail to believe he is an ardent supporter of war. 

6 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I can understand the reasoning behind it all, but I cannot understand how they've gone about this with Chelsea. They have practically crippled the club.

Roman is selling anyway, if he's really as close to Putin as they think he may well be under order to just leave it. 

We could genuinely be out of business in a couple of months.

in the grand scheme of things we are looked at (by the big NATO governments, especially the yanks) as simply possible VERY minor collateral damage

other than our fans, club players club personnel, and some businesses directly reliant on the club, no one will shed (pardon the pun) a solitary tear if we are rent asunder as an existing entity

the real estate Stamford Bridge sits on is worth well over a billion, maybe multiple billions

developers would love to get their hands on it (Chelsea Pitch Owners will have to be overcome, but they could be squeezed till they scream and capitulate I wager)