Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Simply because Torres, atm, is still miles ahead in terms of link-up and hold-up play. How many teams in the PL do you think will leave as much spaces behind the defense when playing against Chelsea as Malaysia XI?

Link up play doesn't look like the most important of aspects that will be taking into account. First if Mourinho wants his team to play as he usually does, Lukaku fits it much better and link up play will not be his most important task. Making dangerous runs, being at the end of assists and finishing them is. Which he sadly wins hands down to Torres.

I wouldn't mind Rooney comming though. But would hope Lukaku still play enough minutes to grow and have some impact. You can't keep such a hard working and talented guy off the pitch too much; he doesn't deserve that.

Simply because Torres, atm, is still miles ahead in terms of link-up and hold-up play.

To say Torres is miles better in linking up play than Lukaku, is nothing but a gross exaggeration, I'm sorry. Lukaku and Torres are actually very similar type of strikers but Torres being nine years older then lukaku will naturally be more polished on the ball. And really this whole extolling of Torres' link up play by some fans is such a misconceived narrative. I think the people who say this fail to acknowledge that Torres has only just recently improved this aspect of his game, this is maybe something we should credit Rafa for. Before he came, Torres' link-up play was practically non-existent as he couldn't keep possession long enough. He was clumsy with the ball resulting in every single one of our counter attacks abruptly ending whenever the ball was passed to him.

I think there're certain things Lukaku needs to work on, one of them being his fitness and I would generally agree that he's not ready to be the first choice striker come August. But really don't think Torres is any better at linking up play than Lukaku.

I wish people would stop using the link up play argument with Torres. It's improved a bit but it's still very poor for a striker of his supposed calibre. It's not any better than Lukaku's.

Do you honestly believe that? Lukaku on the ball is still rather poor and he still needs some experience to improve his decision making as in when to run with the ball and when to release it and when to just put your back to the defender and keep the ball until someone arrives in support.

To say Torres is miles better in linking up play than Lukaku, is nothing but a gross exaggeration, I'm sorry. Lukaku and Torres are actually very similar type of strikers but Torres being nine years older then lukaku will naturally be more polished on the ball. And really this whole extolling of Torres' link up play by some fans is such a misconceived narrative. I think the people who say this fail to acknowledge that Torres has only just recently improved this aspect of his game, this is maybe something we should credit Rafa for. Before he came, Torres' link-up play was practically non-existent as he couldn't keep possession long enough. He was clumsy with the ball resulting in every single one of our counter attacks abruptly ending whenever the ball was passed to him.

I think there're certain things Lukaku needs to work on, one of them being his fitness and I would generally agree that he's not ready to be the first choice striker come August. But really don't think Torres is any better at linking up play than Lukaku.

You're basically saying exactly what I'm saying but coming to a different conclusion:

Tbf, he's improved a lot in that department since the turn of the year. And Lukaku is hardly any better at it. He seems to want to run at the defender every time he gets the ball in his feet. Of course he is young and can easily improve on all that, but I think he still has some work to do before he can be first choice here. I'd actually love to see him given that starting spot and letting him develop even if he's, imo, not 100% ready. But us being Chelsea, I think that is very unlikely. That's why I said at the end of last season that I wouldn't mind seeing him going on loan again (as I don't mind if he stays with the first team as well).

But if you acknowledge that Torres is better on the ball than Romelu, then how come you "really don't think Torres is any better at linking up play than Lukaku."?

Do you honestly believe that? Lukaku on the ball is still rather poor and he still needs some experience to improve his decision making as in when to run with the ball and when to release it and when to just put your back to the defender and keep the ball until someone arrives in support.

Fully believe in that. I think when it comes to link up play, Torres is probably the poorest supposed number 1 striker out of the top 7 clubs in the league at that. The amount of times he loses the ball if the defender is a bit physical is baffling.

Jose won't make Torres #1 forward no way, will he really pick a forward who has gone on atleast 1 major goal drought for the last 3 season's? At best he will play the Kaka role (by that i mean in terms of spa-radical appearances)

When Jose made those comment's about how forwards who aint number 1 should consider leaving because it's the world cup year, it was widely assumed that was a hint to Rooney, personally i think that is a hint to Torres, he wants the fuker out.

Your some average defender in the prem...

Who do you want to play against?

Someone who is big, tall, powerful, who can do something explosive at any moment, yet is still very raw, and sometimes makes incorrect decisions and trys to hard... Or Torres. For me its a no-contest. The pure fact that Lukaku can outrun and overpower a defender gives him the edge even if you ignore everything else.

In terms of just linkup play, then maybe, but then torres spent the majority of the last few seasons, not being in the forward position and not running at defenders.

Your some average defender in the prem...

Who do you want to play against?

Someone who is big, tall, powerful, who can do something explosive at any moment, yet is still very raw, and sometimes makes incorrect decisions and trys to hard... Or Torres. For me its a no-contest. The pure fact that Lukaku can outrun and overpower a defender gives him the edge even if you ignore everything else.

In terms of just linkup play, then maybe, but then torres spent the majority of the last few seasons, not being in the forward position and not running at defenders.

This ....

Why choose a complete non-striker for a raw exciting talent. More than a talent actually. He does perform and score, don't forget that !

You ladies crack me up sometimes :Goober:

Fully believe in that. I think when it comes to link up play, Torres is probably the poorest supposed number 1 striker out of the top 7 clubs in the league at that. The amount of times he loses the ball if the defender is a bit physical is baffling.

That is somewhat true, but he's still better than Lukaku, imho. I do hope he proves me wrong, but I think he still needs some work before he can link-up and hold-up well enough for a team like Chelsea in the PL.

If the latter half of the season is anything to go by, then for me Torres' hold up play is still better than Lukaku's (not that either are amazing in that aspect). Torres in the first half of the season was probably the most frustrating player ever, everything just bounced off of him, clumsy dribbles and so on.

There's a reason we are after Rooney as he offers that composure in the final third that we really lack. A completely different option to Lukaku but that doesn't mean Romelu still can't improve this side of his game.

Regardless of link up play .... Lukaku is the better 'stat' man. That is what counts a the end. He will link up just fine with all that talent behind him. He did it very well at Anderlecht and in the second half of the season at WBA.

His link up is very correlated to his confidence, it seems, as I argued here before. Which is no surprise, he is young and all to ambitious. Sometimes I feel he pushes himself so hard, you just see it backfiring.

I do think Mou knows this. And he is going to treat him very carefull. The bonus for Mou is that you have a 'tabula rasa' striker with awesome physical prowess and scoring ability. Even more, he has a guy that is thirsty to learn and takes all the running lines, positioning Mou wants in.

From the interviews I gather Mou finds this really important. Also, i dont see Torres changing too much anymore. He has his 'thing' - whatever it is- and following the kind of movement Mou wants might be unatainable for him.

So I think Mou will nurture Lukaku to full blood race horse strikerdom the next season. Period.

That is somewhat true, but he's still better than Lukaku, imho. I do hope he proves me wrong, but I think he still needs some work before he can link-up and hold-up well enough for a team like Chelsea in the PL.

No way. Lukaku proved it in one loan spell he is better than Torres. Torres played way more mins than Lukaku last season I am sure and his goals in the PL is no way near Lukaku's. Lukaku is stronger, they are around the same type of speed but Lukaku is younger and improving and I am sure if you gave Lukaku the sort of chances this season that Torres had last season, Lukaku would do much more in terms of goals and assists.

I hope he can keep proving himself as it seems that Mourinho has hinted he will be in the starting lineup against Hull.

Look at this clip of him from last season and see his link up play, goals and assists. He managed to do all of them well last season IMO. Lol 3:21- 3:27 makes me laugh btw, the way he just physically controls the Sunderland players out the way. Amazing strength!

No way. Lukaku proved it in one loan spell he is better than Torres. Torres played way more mins than Lukaku last season I am sure and his goals in the PL is no way near Lukaku's. Lukaku is stronger, they are around the same type of speed but Lukaku is younger and improving and I am sure if you gave Lukaku the sort of chances this season that Torres had last season, Lukaku would do much more in terms of goals and assists.

I hope he can keep proving himself as it seems that Mourinho has hinted he will be in the starting lineup against Hull.

Lukaku did better than Torres, yes, but at West Brom who only play counter attacking football which suites Romelu the most. But at Chelsea, Romelu will mostly be playing hold-up play which was always one of his main weaknesses.

Yes he is young and will develop and he will be given a lot of playing time by Jose, but I just think that when it matters most in big games, Torres will get picked ahead of him.

Lukaku did better than Torres, yes, but at West Brom who only play counter attacking football which suites Romelu the most. But at Chelsea, Romelu will mostly be playing hold-up play which was always one of his main weaknesses.

Yes he is young and will develop and he will be given a lot of playing time by Jose, but I just think that when it matters most in big games, Torres will get picked ahead of him.

He has improved in that regard, more so towards the end of last season. He was holding it, bring others into play and making movements that created space for others. He is learning how to do and is already much better at shielding the ball than Torres who is easily dispossessed most of the time.

Anyway I just read this and wanted to share:

Asked why Mourinho felt he could not operate naturally against sides that compress the play, he [Lukaku] said: “One day that will change. He is the manager and he has a vision of the way he wants to play. The players have to improve to do that. I certainly have it in me.”

Even when the journos try to get something from him he just bats them away with common sense. This guy just isn't just a good player, he's intelligent and humble.