Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

He has improved in that regard, more so towards the end of last season. He was holding it, bring others into play and making movements that created space for others. He is learning how to do and is already much better at shielding the ball than Torres who is easily dispossessed most of the time.

He still has a lot to improve on in that department. Even at Westbrom, Clark was always reluctant to play him when he needed an isolated striker to hold up play and often preferred Long to him on those situations and only brought Lukaku on in the final 20mins or so when there would be much more spaces for him to explore.

He still has a lot to improve on in that department. Even at Westbrom, Clark was always reluctant to play him when he needed an isolated striker to hold up play and often preferred Long to him on those situations and only brought Lukaku on in the final 20mins or so when there would be much more spaces for him to explore.

Fair point but I think Clarke done that because Long had better workrate so thus would put the opposition under more pressure and when Lukaku came on against almost every big team from the bench he made an impact. Maybe Torres might be picked for the big games and Lukaku would make a bigger impression coming on but for the Hull game I hope Lukaku is given the start.

Fair point but I think Clarke done that because Long had better workrate so thus would put the opposition under more pressure and when Lukaku came on against almost every big team from the bench he made an impact. Maybe Torres might be picked for the big games and Lukaku would make a bigger impression coming on but for the Hull game I hope Lukaku is given the start.

Exactly, he had a bigger impact off the bench against big teams because when he came on in the last 20 mins there was a lot more space to exploit. For me he's still not comfortable enough with his back to goal to be first choice at Chelsea just yet.

I am confident he will start the Hull game if we don't get Rooney as Torres will not be available for that one.

As much as I like Romelu, I don't think he's ready yet. The days of a striker being just a goal-scorer are long gone, at the very top of football that is. The game has evolved and the striker role is now very demanding.

The progress he's booked at West Brom is quite incredible but playing for WBA is completely different compared to playing for Chelsea. I remember the reactions when Ba joined. He scored a lot of goals for Newcastle so he should do even better at Chelsea. That's not been the case at all.

Luckily he seems to have the right attitude so if he's patient enough he could definitely succeed and become the main striker in a few years. Don't even get what the rush is, he's 20. It took most top centre-forwards years of game time and hard work before they got to join and then actually become starter at a club of Chelsea's stature. I fully support Mourinho in getting Rooney.

You're right.. but if we cant manage to get Rooney we're out of options.. So I'd take Lukaku over Torres and probably Ba.

I have to say this was one solid game by the big man ... Pace, energy, decent passing, holding the ball up front better as well...

O, and two goals! 4 Chelsea goals in 3 matches that is, but I liked his overall peformance most this last match...

Bring on the big squads already and give the kid a challenge!

Some people will say he is not ready which is understandable. I believe he is ready and the only way to prove it is to keep scoring, regardless of the quality of opposition. Keep doing your thing Lukaku and prove what you are capable of!

Some people will say he is not ready which is understandable. I believe he is ready and the only way to prove it is to keep scoring, regardless of the quality of opposition. Keep doing your thing Lukaku and prove what you are capable of!

I agree; He is young and raw. But even young and raw he will tear other teams to pieces (eg. ManU last year).

So I forgive him his sometimes awkward first touch (As I would forgive Traoré's youth sins) !

I'm with @CHOULO19 and @DYC. in this one.

He has the potential, he will be better than Torres - he had better stats last season, but he is not ready for the big stage week in, week out.

I'm positive Mourinho will start Torres whenever he can (not the case against Hull) and if Lukaku does well in the matches he enters in the second half, he'll become a regular starter.

Mourinho knows he has to handle the youngsters carefully. He doesn't want to put too much pressure. Everyone knows our biggest deficiency in the squad is the striker position and then he benches Torres and put all the pressure over the 20yo guy? That doesn't look like Mou imo and I like to believe I know him quite well after all it's been 9 years following him closely in each of my teams...

As DYC said, he has time, he has the right mentality, but moving from WBA to Chelsea isn't that easy. He could nail it, or he could struggle. That's why I'm sticking with Mou doing it gradually. that is of course, if Rooney doesn't come.

If both Torres and Lukaku are in the bench then I think he might have an edge over Torres because Mourinho doesn't stroke egos and he might prefer to develop a new and promising player than keep giving chances to a veteran that is clearly in decline.

edit: btw, can the Belgians (or whoelse) help me here? is Lukaku or Lukaku?

I agree; He is young and raw. But even young and raw he will tear other teams to pieces (eg. ManU last year).

So I forgive him his sometimes awkward first touch (As I would forgive Traoré's youth sins) !

Typical. If a player is going to have the game of his life it will be against us. I'm glad he did though, the 5-5 thriller was the perfect send off for Fergie. Football being played the way it's meant to be. What a game.

Lukaku is at the point now though where you either play him or let him flourish elsewhere. It's not fair on him. My bet is on him starting a lot of games next season.

Typical. If a player is going to have the game of his life it will be against us. I'm glad he did though, the 5-5 thriller was the perfect send off for Fergie. Football being played the way it's meant to be. What a game.

Lukaku is at the point now though where you either play him or let him flourish elsewhere. It's not fair on him. My bet is on him starting a lot of games next season.

I agree and let him flourish.

Are you sure you are a Manure fan, mate? You sound too much like a guy I'd want a beer with!

I agree and let him flourish.

Are you sure you are a Manure fan, mate? You sound too much like a guy I'd want a beer with!

Rofl.

I just try to remain unbiased and honest when talking about football.

And, if you're buying. ;p

at West Brom ...he started as sub with Long first choice ,,, before the end of the season Lukaku was the starter..

people can moan about his touch ,,,,but he scores bucket loads of goals ... for me that is enough

I wasn't moaning about anything, I actually think we are incredibly lucky to have such a talent in our team. I was just making an observation/analysis. In fact, in a latter post I even said that I would like him to be our number one striker this season even if he's not 100% ready (certainly not as ready as most people seem to think) because it would help him develop and would pay in the long run.

At West Brom, he wasn't started in games when the striker needed to do a lot of hold-up play, and that's because they only had him on loan and wanted immediate results. Here, we have him for the long run, and even though he will struggle, I think he should get the most playing time out of our strikers because that will do a world of good for him. We've already had 3 consecutive seasons with struggling strikers, what's one more, right? :P