Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Decent these 2 matches, nothing amazing though. Don't think he is ready to be our no1 yet, need someone like Rooney/Suarez to lead the line with Lukaku as back up. Really need to work on his ball control, good pace but decision making and ball control has been very poor in these 2 matches.

The potential is there, the quality too, but he can't be the guy we're relying on. Also that puts a lot of pressure on him and at times in both matches I think there was a mental situation going on. Don't know if he was nervous, if he felt pressured, if he was anxious. But some of the misses he had, the way he handled the ball - especially today - showed me he wasn't totally comfortable yet.

Ofcource he was nervous,I've said that some pages ago.He is still a boy who plays for the team that he loves,under a huge manager and he knows that he has only one half to prove that he is good.That pressure always leads to mistakes.

I just hope he has improved his first touch, thats the main thing benteke has better than him.

I had a feeling he hasn't developed it, from yesterday we could all see how important it is to have a good first touch...

I think he should have personal training to work on it, drogba had an excellent first touch so I'm sure he can match it

90 minutes of football and two goals. You can't ask for much more than that really at this stage of pre-season.

He is a little clumsy with the ball at his feet. That I will concede! His close control is probably one thousandth as good as Didier's was. But he has other strengths, and it is about getting out midfield to understand how to play to those strengths. We have to be patient with Lukaku and remember he is only 20. He has so much potential, it really is quite frightening. But I would really love to give him a full season to prove himself. He deserves that chance.

He's staying with us next season and Torres will be one number one striker with Lukaku as back-up. The sooner we accept that, the better.

We don't have to accept that yet at all especially when the club is so publicly after Rooney and even if Rooney didn't arrive I'd have Lukaku starting over Torres.

We don't have to accept that yet at all especially when the club is so publicly after Rooney and even if Rooney didn't arrive I'd have Lukaku starting over Torres.

Well yes, Rooney coming would change that. But as it stands, even if you'd have Lukaku ahead, I find it highly likely that Torres would be our main striker.

How anyone can think Torres is first choice after Mourinho's comments the other day is mind-boggling.

Well yes, Rooney coming would change that. But as it stands, even if you'd have Lukaku ahead, I find it highly likely that Torres would be our main striker.

why? he is atrocious. peter crouch has scored more league goals than torres over the past 2 seasons for stoke.

why? he is atrocious. peter crouch has scored more league goals than torres over the past 2 seasons for stoke.

Simply because Torres, atm, is still miles ahead in terms of link-up and hold-up play. How many teams in the PL do you think will leave as much spaces behind the defense when playing against Chelsea as Malaysia XI?

the same link up play that see's him lose the ball 9 times out of 10 ?

Tbf, he's improved a lot in that department since the turn of the year. And Lukaku is hardly any better at it. He seems to want to run at the defender every time he gets the ball in his feet. Of course he is young and can easily improve on all that, but I think he still has some work to do before he can be first choice here. I'd actually love to see him given that starting spot and letting him develop even if he's, imo, not 100% ready. But us being Chelsea, I think that is very unlikely. That's why I said at the end of last season that I wouldn't mind seeing him going on loan again (as I don't mind if he stays with the first team as well).

I wish people would stop using the link up play argument with Torres. It's improved a bit but it's still very poor for a striker of his supposed calibre. It's not any better than Lukaku's.

hopefully we see him play better in pre season.

a striker like Rooney is absolutly needed.

because what i've seen yet he can't hold on to a ball against shitty teams because he doesn't uses his body like he should.

Always choose for the difficult solution when he's waiting for back up.

Even if Torres does have a better link-up play, I'd much rather have Lukaku's pace, movement and well.. him being a big threat everytime we attack.

While Torres is 29 and was given 2 and a half seasons to prove himself, I only feel that its fair giving Lukaku a chance in a starting role.