Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

• ROMELU LUKAKU wants to become a Chelsea legend — just like his buddy Didier Drogba.

And the 6ft 3in striker is aiming to do it super fast with the help of the man he sees as a father figure.

Lukaku — already dubbed the new Drogba — said: “Didier’s a legend. Now it’s up to me to do the same as he did.

“And I want to achieve that as fast as possible.”

Lukaku is confident he can emulate the great man — especially as he has the 35-year-old’s backing.

The Belgian, 20, added: “He’s one of my best friends. He had the role of father figure to me when I was at Chelsea with him.

“After training we would talk for an hour or so.

“We have a good relationship and still talk every day. These days I tell him what I’m doing in training and he tells me if it is wrong or right.

“And Didier is harder with me now than he has ever been before.

“He watches a lot of my games and he expects a lot from me.”

The constant advice and encouragement is gratefully received. And Lukaku enjoys all the comparisons.

Yet he says he does NOT want to be just a carbon copy of Drogba, but a star in his own right. He insisted: “My dad called me Romelu Lukaku so I’m Romelu Lukaku.

“Yes, we have a similar style of play but I still see there are a few differences. I don’t think people will see me as another Didier Drogba but as Romelu Lukaku.”

That is not the kid being cocky, it is simply a sign of his confidence and ambition.

The hitman stressed: “I know I can be good for the team and also that the team can be good for me.

“My goalscoring record — one goal every two games since I was 16 years old — will help.

“And I have confidence in the team, I have confidence in the staff, I have confidence in everyone here.

“Otherwise I wouldn’t have decided to stay here. We have a big team. A lot of people are expecting big stuff from us this season.

“We want to get up there and compete with the two Manchester teams — and I’m confident we can.”

Drogba certainly became the scourge of Manchester during his swashbuckling Blues career — now the stage awaits his protege.

Lukaku has the temperament, most certainly. My concern is he hasn't scored a professional goal for us. How many games will it take? One, two... ten? My concern is if we go into the new season and we have three strikers failing to score, we're again going to be relying on 80 goals from midfield.

Lukaku has the temperament, most certainly. My concern is he hasn't scored a professional goal for us. How many games will it take? One, two... ten? My concern is if we go into the new season and we have three strikers failing to score, we're again going to be relying on 80 goals from midfield.

Lets hope that doesnt happen

Lukaku is training hard,he is training even harder after the team training is over.....He was trained by his idol and he is even now getting advices from him (the one and only Didier Drogba)

He is spirited,he has the will,the passion and the fire to become the best.

Right now he believes that this is his change,just like Mou told him BUT don't forget that we are talking about a BOY.He is too young and if he is disappointed if he can't capitalize on his chance then he is gonna break down.

Mou is taking a huge risk here with a young kid,he will be broken,his confidence,his spirit,his fire will all be gone if he won't be able to take this huge chance.

The best thing we as fans can do with this young boy is to get behind him,support him in any way we can.

Lukaku is training hard,he is training even harder after the team training is over.....He was trained by his idol and he is even now getting advices from him (the one and only Didier Drogba)

He is spirited,he has the will,the passion and the fire to become the best.

Right now he believes that this is his change,just like Mou told him BUT don't forget that we are talking about a BOY.He is too young and if he is disappointed if he can't capitalize on his chance then he is gonna break down.

Mou is taking a huge risk here with a young kid,he will be broken,his confidence,his spirit,his fire will all be gone if he won't be able to take this huge chance.

The best thing we as fans can do with this young boy is to get behind him,support him in any way we can.

Surely I follow you in the fact the we as fans have to support Romelu in any way we can... ALSO if his having a bad game (or 2-3).

It is also true that this is big step for Lukaku... He's probably given his chance by Mou this season. If he doesn't achieve his ambition... he will be massively dissapointed!

BUT make no mistake. Even when having a few bad games in the beginning... this will not stop Lukaku from hunting his dream. It will even make him work harder to reach it! That's just simply how he is!

Also don't forget that at the age of 16(!!!) he walked into Belgians #1 team and became the most valuable player week in week out. He was able to carry this HUGE weight of pressure that was on his shoulders every single week again. Becoming the leagues top scorer AND, more importantly, he confirmed his good form in the next season! I know that the pressure at Chelsea will be higher than at Anderlecht... but relatively speaking the pressure on his 16 year old shoulder would had to be far more difficult to cope with than the weight that is put on his shoulders at this moment.

The biggest blow of his career came in his first season here with us. Not getting his chance, playing with the reserves every weekend and having the feeling he didn't make any progression. But we have all witnessed how he coped with that massive blow. He started working even harder and we all know what this have lead to => a great debut season in the EPL with 17(!!) goals.

So all in all I wouldn't be to worried about Lukaku coping with pressure or having a few bad days. He will come back stronger and succeed... because this kind of dedication combined with talent is a certain recipe for success! He will be massive... mark my words!!

I hope that he will become a success here,I really like the guy.

The fact that he played at the age of 16 is the most worrying to me.I mean that (from the things that he said) he thinks that he paid his dues,not playing for a season,being loaned out the next etc

From what I understand,Romelu thinks that this is his big break to his team of his dreams.If he can't make it,I'm very afraid of his reaction.

I still hope that he can come up big for us,maybe this season maybe the next,I don't know I just hope.

Never really did it on the big stage till Mourinho moulded him though, I like Milito too, but I feel he excelled under Mourinho in the big stage with the world watching. His performance against Bayern in that Champions League final is one of my favourite Champions League performances of all time, Not fancy beating players like Messi, or scoring overhead kicks, but that second goal was brilliant. Turned his man and great finish into the corner.

He never really had a chance on the big stage until he signed for Inter. Sure Genoa is a decent sized club but they werent in the CL.

Great penalty yesterday and he looked very fit, even more when compared to last pre-season when he looked really big.

I think he played it very safe yesterday, when he received the ball with his back to goal he mainly just laid it back to whoever passed him the ball initially. There were a few times he could have played a more adventurous pass into a runners path or turned himself. Maybe he was just trying to impress Mourinho and keep things simple which fairness wasn't a bad idea. But hopefully he is more confident and ambitious when he receives the ball with his back to goal, that has to be a big part of his game in the future.

He seems excellent when counter attacking. He times his runs well and uses his pace to good effect. However he'll also need to learn how to hold the ball up better, when the other team sits back, it's sometimes like he's trying to still force a counter when it's better to pass the ball and recycle possession, and improve on intricate play around the box with our midfielders

When he does learn that he'll be the complete striker. He has plenty of time - young man's only 20.

I think the problem - that isn't his in all honesty and fairness - is that we need someone now. He isn't ready. He has plenty to develop. I think he's a better option than Ba. Demba never happened in Chelsea imo and he continues to prove so.

So I think Lukaku could be a good alternative for the second half and the eventual start, but he's not the answer to what we need this season unless he does some crazy development in a month.

The potential is there, the quality too, but he can't be the guy we're relying on. Also that puts a lot of pressure on him and at times in both matches I think there was a mental situation going on. Don't know if he was nervous, if he felt pressured, if he was anxious. But some of the misses he had, the way he handled the ball - especially today - showed me he wasn't totally comfortable yet.

But he needs minutes - not only in pre-season. I hope he surprises me, but I only see him really making a difference for us at least a year from now. Again, I hope to be wrong, as I'm more and more convinced we won't sign any world class forwarder, and if that's the case, Torres, Ba and Lukaku is what we have.

I dont think he is ready enough to be our number one striker. His first touch developed a little bit but his ball handling wasnt fun to watch. He is a little bit immobile when a defender is pressuring him. Good thing he still young and have years to learn.