Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Wow what a beast!

Seriously with that attitude, and great potential in this kid, we should not sign Cavani!

I'm sure that with him and Ba we should be good enough.

Torres is ok, but he has done great coming of the bench.

I think Mourinho can squeeze a lot of the juice from Ba.

And not to forget we got Schurrle who can also play as a striker.

We are set for strikers this new season. Really excited with Lukaku!

He averaged 1 goal every 2 games last season with absolutely average players around him. He destroyed Liverpool's defence, got a hat-trick for god sake against Manchester United and is the absolute ideal player to rip Arsenal to shreds next season with his brute force, determination and pace.

When we've been playing against City a major problem has been height and strength. We've lacked both. Lukaku would even the odds a bit for us in that department. Cavani, Falcao, Rooney - they all have strength - but they don't seem to have the same level of fearlessness that Lukaku has. Lukaku will go at Kompany and Toure all game. Most players wont.

He still needs to work on his first-touch but in just one season he has drastically improved his agility, stamina, pace etc. and even retained that incredible freak strength of his while lowering his body fat to the level bodybuilders dream of.

I can't believe I doubted him so much when he first joined and I'm embarrassed that I used to make posts questioning his character.

Paul Pogba briefly commented on Conte's 'philosophy' at Juventus which helped convince him decide to join them. I use Pogba as an example because i see similarities between his character and Lukaku's. They both want to be the best:

Conte told me: 'With me, there's no youth, it's the best who plays. If you think you can establish yourself here, come, and we'll see if you're able to do it, show us what you can do.'

He pushed me, he struck where it was needed to convince me. I like being given challenges like that. I like indirect provocation.

Now I don't see why we shouldn't follow that. There shouldn't be 'youth' unless you're actually in the youth team. McEachran isn't youth, neither is Lukaku, Chalobah, Kalas, Piazon. None of them are youth players. They are men. They are footballers. Their age shouldn't dictate whether they're ready or not. Their talent and what they're able to offer our team should dictate whether they play or not.

If Lukaku was 26, would some people still be screaming "He needs more experience! Loan him!" or "He's not ready to be our leading striker!"? From what I've seen of him now I'm convinced that we don't need a big-name striker to join us; because we have our own player about to become a household name.

What we now need is a back-up striker for Lukaku.

There's just no way he will set the world alight next season. People are expecting far too much from him. Some may be willing to throw away the title next season and wait for something that may never happen but I'm not. Going into the season with just Lukaku and co will mirror going into the season with just Torres and Sturridge.

He averaged 1 goal every 2 games last season with absolutely average players around him. He destroyed Liverpool's defence, got a hat-trick for god sake against Manchester United and is the absolute ideal player to rip Arsenal to shreds next season with his brute force, determination and pace.

When we've been playing against City a major problem has been height and strength. We've lacked both. Lukaku would even the odds a bit for us in that department. Cavani, Falcao, Rooney - they all have strength - but they don't seem to have the same level of fearlessness that Lukaku has. Lukaku will go at Kompany and Toure all game. Most players wont.

He still needs to work on his first-touch but in just one season he has drastically improved his agility, stamina, pace etc. and even retained that incredible freak strength of his while lowering his body fat to the level bodybuilders dream of.

I can't believe I doubted him so much when he first joined and I'm embarrassed that I used to make posts questioning his character.

Paul Pogba briefly commented on Conte's 'philosophy' at Juventus which helped convince him decide to join them. I use Pogba as an example because i see similarities between his character and Lukaku's. They both want to be the best:

Now I don't see why we shouldn't follow that. There shouldn't be 'youth' unless you're actually in the youth team. McEachran isn't youth, neither is Lukaku, Chalobah, Kalas, Piazon. None of them are youth players. They are men. They are footballers. Their age shouldn't dictate whether they're ready or not. Their talent and what they're able to offer our team should dictate whether they play or not.

If Lukaku was 26, would some people still be screaming "He needs more experience! Loan him!" or "He's not ready to be our leading striker!"? From what I've seen of him now I'm convinced that we don't need a big-name striker to join us; because we have our own player about to become a household name.

What we now need is a back-up striker for Lukaku.

Lukaku will have playing time. But I disagree with the sentence "look at what he did at WBA with average players". WBA was playing counter-attack football and giving him the ball when he was running.

Many teams will sit deep against us. Using him in second half if we are leading and the opponents are more open is a good ide and he could be very good at it.

But I'm not sure we should make him the first choice striker.

That's why I think he would thrive with us though. Jose has played a counter-attacking system at every club he's been to every single season. He's never played possession football. He's managed to play counter-attacking football while keeping it attractive. We've now bought Schurrle who is basically a blueprint of what a counter-attacking player should be which is further indication that we won't be doing any tika-taka nonsense etc. It looks like we'll be going for a style Real Madrid implemented last season with Hazard possibly in a Ronaldo role, Schurrle perhaps in a Di Maria role, Mata in that Ozil role and then Lukaku taking up a poacher's role like Benzema.

Last season we were a bit of a mess. We couldn't decide whether to defend, attack, counter-attack etc. Our current players aren't built for a passing-dominant system. There's too much pace in the side now for that. So I'm positive we'll have a similar system to West Brom next season, Real Madrid, any counter-attacking team you can think of - and I think Lukaku will fit in perfectly.

Regardless though, he succeeded in a counter-attacking system last season, yes, but even if we did implement a completely alien system to that, who's to say he can't thrive in it? Especially with Jose around. We have too much creativity in the side now to fail against teams who defend deep. We have the players to pick apart any system, and Lukaku just adds such a strong new dimension to that which can only improve what we currently have. It also would save us from splashing out £30-50m on a new striker, money which instead can be used to prepare for the future of our defence and deep-midfield.

Sorry for the long reply. In a hyper mood.

Don't apologize mate. Superb post.

There's just no way he will set the world alight next season. People are expecting far too much from him. Some may be willing to throw away the title next season and wait for something that may never happen but I'm not. Going into the season with just Lukaku and co will mirror going into the season with just Torres and Sturridge.

Yeah last season was dumb but now we got 3 strikers and schurrle who can also play as striker.

So it's not like last season.

Weather the quality of strikers is not like City and United is not for debate but I think this season will still be a season of transition.

And for that we will go with what we have, especially giving chances to those that merit it and not on name like torres.

Madrid playing counter attacking football is the main reason he failed at the Bernabeu. Football has evolved and possession is vital.

Don't get Chelsea fans obsession with that style of play.

If you play counter attacking football it doesn't mean you disregard possession. Mourinho still won the league with a record amount of goals with his perceived "counter attacking" football at Madrid and United are very effective at it. Doesn't mean they don't think possession is vital. You need a variety, not just possession based players in your squad.

Have you seen Arsenal this season? their days of being susceptible to bruts and long ball teams are well and truly over.

Have you seen Arsenal this season? their days of being susceptible to bruts and long ball teams are well and truly over.

I guarantee if Drogba turned up again in a game against them, you would witness shite running down their defenders legs.

I guarantee if Drogba turned up again in a game against them, you would witness shite running down their defenders legs.

As much as i would love to jump on that bandwagon, i don't think he would have half the success against Arsenal if he was still playing for us today. They are simply just better at defending these days.

Must be frustrating for the fans tho, as soon as they get their defense sorted, their wc attacking players fuck off :lol:

As much as i would love to jump on that bandwagon, i don't think he would have half the success against Arsenal if he was still playing for us today. They are simply just better at defending these days.

Sorry mate I don't agree, I don't see anything improved about Arsenal in that defence at all.

I would love to fast forward to our first game against Arsenal next season under Jose and I would guarantee Jose would start Lukaku, he would pull them apart.

• 2 weeks later...